Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I are going to be putting together a 1962 Nova with a straight axle, big block and a 4-speed lenco. What is the best kit? BZ's Hot rods, speedway?

We plan on running high 8's or low 9's. any feedback would be helpful.

We have owned 2 Top sportsman cars that have run 7.20's at 190 so we aren't beginners, just not informed on straight axles

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
My axle setup came from Racing unlimited who is now out of business. But I think its the same as speedway. The only thing I caution about is the thickness of the tie rod going across to the steering arms. I recommend a Morrison engineering 1 inch chromoly piece with 3/4 to 5/8 rod ends. I don't have a car that will run 9's but I did encounter some issues with death wobble because of the flex in the 5/8 tie rod. 1 inch tube will not flex and is so much safer.
I also installed a steering dampener to insure the tie rod will not over react to steering correction as well.
Just my opinion and experience.
mm

·
Administrator
13,523 Posts
My axle setup came from Racing unlimited who is now out of business. But I think its the same as speedway. The only thing I caution about is the thickness of the tie rod going across to the steering arms. I recommend a Morrison engineering 1 inch chromoly piece with 3/4 to 5/8 rod ends. I don't have a car that will run 9's but I did encounter some issues with death wobble because of the flex in the 5/8 tie rod. 1 inch tube will not flex and is so much safer.
I also installed a steering dampener to insure the tie rod will not over react to steering correction as well.
Just my opinion and experience.
mm
Very sound advice Mario! I have the Speedway axle and tierod on my Austin, and because of the narrow width the small tierod is not an issue. But I went much larger on the Falcon's tierod and drag link at 1.25" heavy wall tube, with weld bungs for 5/8" heims. No flexing at all in the Falcon, even with the wider axle.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Are you uploading from your computer or photo bucket? When i do it from my computer I hit go advanced, then manage attachments , then Add Files in the dialogue box that shows up. then Select files and navigate to your picture and click save.
And now mine doesn't work either. 2nd time you do it works. I just uploaded and it placed a photo. Sometimes first attempt is not possible. happens all the time for me.
mario

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
check out our steering questions thread. we went thru this and it boils down to it doesn't matter if the shackles are front or rear of the axle. My 35 came with the shackles in front. Many trucks come with the shackles at the rear.
I just set my MG shackles to the rear to keep it clean looking up front. Geometry is not affected either way according to the experienced builders here on the thread like Val and Steve. I am comfortable with what they say here as advice on any build questions you may have.
Mario

I found the thread: http://www.gasserhotrods.com/forum/...-Shackles-or-solid-mounts.&highlight=shackles

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.