Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purple Wood Violet Font Magenta
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Just a few. Of dozens. Street Freaks from the '70's. Yes. Gasser. not! Purple Wood Violet Font Magenta
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive design Hood
Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CUT the quarters! And bring it back down. I know. One of the original Ramcharger cars was WAY up there. But I don't think it was a gas car but an altered.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remember, if you want to go by the rule book. 24 inches from crank center line to ground. As per '64 or'65.

·
Administrator
13,689 Posts
You can have a car pretty high, and still have the crank 24" centerline. It's just a question of how deep the engine is in the frame. My '63 Falcon set up high, and was well below the 24" NHRA rule.

My Austin has the engine set so low I can just barely access the spark plugs above the frame rails, so it's well below the 24" rule.

I personally don't see an issue with some of the cars Scott posted as not gassers. But some of them are more 70's style street freaks. The blue '59 Rambler 2 dr. sdn is a neat car, and doesn't sit too high. A radius and wider tires would be neat, but a lot of gassers didn't have any different style in the day. The black Comet I think doesn't look like a street freak.
But I tend to be more lenient about gasser style builds than some. It's pretty easy to pick apart almost any modern build, but most of the time those who do it don't have any gasser at all, or have one that could also be picked apart. Afraid if I got too critical, somebody would easily turn that back on my builds too. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It just seems that everyone is going more for the '70's street freak than real gassers. "Well lets see how high we can get it"

·
Administrator
13,689 Posts
It does seem that many are going for at least nose high, and some high all around. But that's not necessarily wrong for a certain era. Didn't see it in the late 50's, nor the late 60's. But this was also a trend in the 60's before slicks got to be much better.
Here's aa picture of Ohio George's '33 Willys around 1959:

And that same WIllys a couple years later:

Just before switching to the Mustang George had dropped the frontend significantly to get a nose down stance, and try to streamline the old Willys coupe.
A lot of other prominent gas class competitors who ran similar cars for over a decade also pushed the 24" rule at some point, but also changed once they didn't need the car's stance so high anymore. So guess it depends on which era you're copying? Some are just copying the street freak era of cars that never saw the drag strip at all, and are built more for shock and awe. And a lot of folks who don't know the history think these sky high builds are copies of gassers, and fall for the crazy high builds as reality, not the fantasy builds they are.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You couldn't even class mine as a Gasser per '64 NHRA rules because mine has an Altered wheel base. I think a lot of the shorter wheel base cars got thrown into other classes in the 60's because they didn't know how to class them even though they were closer to a Gasser than an Altered or even Competition Coupe.. Mine will probably end up with a 92" wheel base from a stock 89" wheel base so it's actually an Altered.

·
Administrator
13,689 Posts
You couldn't even class mine as a Gasser per '64 NHRA rules because mine has an Altered wheel base. I think a lot of the shorter wheel base cars got thrown into other classes in the 60's because they didn't know how to class them even though they were closer to a Gasser than an Altered or even Competition Coupe.. Mine will probably end up with a 92" wheel base from a stock 89" wheel base so it's actually an Altered.
Same with my Austin. Back in the day the only Austin allowed was the later '48 and newer A40's. Anglias were shorter wheelbase, and NHRA changed the rules just to allow the 90" Anglias to run, but my Austin being 89" wasn't included. So if stretched to meet the NHRA rules, it would then become an Altered with that longer wheelbase.
Today it's not an issue, as most nostalgia events allow these minor changes and let you run the Gas Class.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts