Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just stumbled over this a couple of days ago. New Hampshire barn find, been in "storage" for the past 15/20 years. Ran well when parked, but that's not always a sign of a trouble free resurrection.

Not in the worst of shape, good body and interior, engine a mystery for now. Looked all over the internet for any mention or photos of a C3 Corvette Gasser and came up dry, so probably paint in a nice high gloss black, lose those horrid wheels, and drive it around as my daily. Sell the '09 Mustang and put the cash in my Bullitt fund.

Not a real build thread, just showing what I found this week.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The first thing I noticed when viewing the photo of the engine was the clean air filter element and dusty lid. It seemed to be covered with the same amount of dust as the rest of the motor with no fresh finger prints which says to me that the element was there when it was parked. Maybe someone had tuned it up before storage so it was ready to go in the future and then............

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey . . . you're right ! Good catch ! ! !

That WOULD seem to be a good omen.

I won't be going up to get it until I finish re-decking the trailer, let you know what's what when I get it home.

The price was So good that I could easily factor in a crate, good used, or locally re-built engine and still be just fine with it.

Of course, if it really needs an engine, it's gonna have to be a 409. I've had three cars with that engine and have a real soft spot for it.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Very neat find! Love the old C3 Vettes myself. They might not be as popular as earlier Vettes, but they certainly were a huge improvement in ride and handling.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Road Angles, check the last posting here, I thought of you !

http://www.gasserhotrods.com/forum/showthread.php?7713-MGA-Gasser-project-.-.-.-maybe.

I don't know the mileage yet, still haven't finished the trailer and gone up for it. When I know, I'll post it for sure.

I'm seriously hoping that this Vette isn't as nice under the grime as it seems to be. I checked the engine and body and it's a numbers matching car with the original paint and interior as well.
Interior looks really good, but hoping that there are cracks, botches, and such under the paint since I want to beat the crap out of it and trade it off for something that I'd rather have and I
won't if it seems worth keeping as an unmolested "survivor."

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Tom, (I'm guessing from your Avatar)
Before you beat the shit out of it make sure you know what you have. If you don't know someone I have a really good friend who is a licensed corvette and specialty car appraiser; he's also a judge with I think the National Corvette Owners Assn; or one of those clubs anyway. He's brokered a lot of deals for a lot of people nation wide. After you have the car, take a photo of the door tag and some of the car and PM it to me. I'l contact my buddy and let him know to be looking for an email from me. Who knows, you might have a desireable and valuable gem there.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ! Most folks call me Tommy, but Anything will do that begins with a "T" . . . admit to answering to simple grunts on most occasions.

Once I get it home, I'll definitely snap a round of photos, send you the links for sure. I know that it's a two owner car (I'm the third), matching numbers, rear bumper cover damage but otherwise no damage to the body that I can see. Interior is original and looks pretty nice, paint is original but covered in 20 years worth of grime. Engine and body numbers match. Considering the year and condition though, there's not much value to the car, maybe $2,500 tops. Nobody likes the C3 Corvettes yet (if ever.)

As I mention, I'm hoping that the body is a stress cracked mess under all that dirt and dust. With a handful of suspension mods and a 500 hp crate engine, a rattle can flat black paint job, and a set of Centerline wheels on new tires, I could have some real fun with the little bastard.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Been making progress on the Vette. It's STILL in storage in the same barn where I found it, will remain there until the snow comes and goes, but I've been buying things for it. This is the most recent:

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/pts/5313803642.html

I was wondering what, if any striping might go on it, I really do like the stripes and 1/2 back panel paint on the Cobra LeMans Coupe but thought that would be a little too much. Then I stumbled over this and it was perfect for what I want to do with the car. A little bit of a back-date to 1968 but some "custom" touched from other years. This style hood scoop/hood with white accents will go terrific with the dark metallic green paint and less than a fourth of what the scoop alone would cost.

Also grabbed up these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-4-NE...FECUgsf6ZNqomBFn7tqyQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

For the classic look. Going to paint the spokes and inner section flat grey new-cast steel and run two bar knock-off style "spinners" for the road race look.

And grabbed up this (scroll down to see the item)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231708487215?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

To begin back-dating the body to that of a 1968 Vette.

Looking around now for the front clip (from the headlights forward) from a 1968-72 Vette. Just sold one of my 5.0 Mustang engines to fund the buy.

Been making progress . . . . of a sort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts