Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just last night trying to find out if our drag Beetle was still legal for NHRA strips as all of the strips here in the North East now seem to have gone over to NHRA sanctioning.

My current new/old project is 94 inches so I figure that it's OK, my Fiat 600 looks like it's done for, but was wondering if anyone knew what the current minimum wheel base was for the NHRA legal cars?

I looked around on the net and found a lot of opinions and some mention of exemptions, but the NHRA REALLY never seemed to be comfortable with exceptions to their rules.

Any help?

Thanks—

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know. I read on another forum that NHRA had changed it again, could get a definitive answer, one of the posters was "saying" that it was maybe even cut of at 84" while another had it above 90".

Doesn't matter this time around, I'm good at 95" but I'm looking at both a Bantam and an Austin, either of which would be a problem.

I'd also read that regardless of the sponsor or type of drag racing, Nostalgia, Gasser Reunion, or otherwise; if the track being use is an NHRA track, ALL of the NHRA rules apply. This might well eliminate the old Altereds and small body based Gassers from running. These are the only reason that I attend the drags these days, hate to see this sort of racing be phased out around here in New England.

Just wondering and more than a bit concerned, you know?

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
An Austin isn't a problem if it's 1947 or later. They are over 90" wheelbase. My Austin was a problem as it was 89" wheelbase stock. I made mine 90" when I set up the axles.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"An Austin isn't a problem if it's 1947 or later."

Thanks ! No worries then. If I ever build the Bamtam coupe I'll just buy a chassis to the right length.

Good to know—

1 - 5 of 5 Posts