Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll be there on thurs through sat with my buddies. I will be with a black BBC front engine dragster called the Auburn Weed Killer and a blue BBC '72 mustang funny car. Stop by and say hi. My name is Lance.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Have a good Time!!!

Hey, hot rod reunion coming up this weekend. I'm going anyone else going?
We wish we were going.... I have heard that the HR Reunion in Bowling Green is the best event of its kind.

If you get a chance have a chat with Barbara Hamilton (the first woman to be granted an NHRA competition license - yes, even before Cha Cha).

Needless to say all of us here on the GHRs forum will be anxiously watching for any pictures you will be able to share with us.

Have you guys been there before??????

Have a great time..... the weather is suppose to be good .... enjoy the step back in time!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I'm looking at my first participant credential from 1997, my first year, and the last one I attended in 2006. Those first years were the best, before it became a big event. I noticed less and less gassers as the years went by. There are always some that run an exibition run or two but never a really big grouping. The midway always has the Willys club cars parked to look at and some other really bitchin cars though. Several years ago after the event Hot Rod did their article on the event and in it they even said if you want to see gassers you need to go East. The next year my cousin and I flew to Ohio for the Gasser Nationals at Thompson Raceway; it was great. You can walk behind the cars as they do their burn outs, there's an observation walkway that goes right over the starting line, there's actually a huge grassy parking area that runs the whole length of the strip, the event was great!! For my two cents worth it beats the Hot Rod Reunion hands down. I do however hope you have a great time.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I'm looking at my first participant credential from 1997, my first year, and the last one I attended in 2006. Those first years were the best, before it became a big event. I noticed less and less gassers as the years went by. There are always some that run an exibition run or two but never a really big grouping. The midway always has the Willys club cars parked to look at and some other really bitchin cars though. Several years ago after the event Hot Rod did their article on the event and in it they even said if you want to see gassers you need to go East. The next year my cousin and I flew to Ohio for the Gasser Nationals at Thompson Raceway; it was great. You can walk behind the cars as they do their burn outs, there's an observation walkway that goes right over the starting line, there's actually a huge grassy parking area that runs the whole length of the strip, the event was great!! For my two cents worth it beats the Hot Rod Reunion hands down. I do however hope you have a great time.
Thought I'd add a couple photos from the event

Attachments

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
...... The next year my cousin and I flew to Ohio for the Gasser Nationals at Thompson Raceway; it was great.

You can walk behind the cars as they do their burn outs, there's an observation walkway that goes right over the starting line, there's actually a huge grassy parking area that runs the whole length of the strip, the event was great!!

For my two cents worth it beats the Hot Rod Reunion hands down......
I am sure the people at Thompson would love to see your post.

We also LOVE going to Thompson. We were at the "Gasser Reunion" there a couple of week ago. It was great.

Even with a total rain-out on Friday & so many other gasser events & changes with sponsorship, etc happening lately within the gasser community the turn out of both cars & spectators was GREAT!!!!

We ALWAYS sit on our folding lawn chairs next to the guard rail right at the starting line..... which is just over an arms length away from the starting line.

Ahhhh the sounds, smells, vibration & burnt rubber all over us..... what a great way to spend the day.

Can't wait to go back there for the "Gasser Nationals" in September!!!! :cool:

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
With the resurrgence of gasser interest, I'm thinking we'll see lots of events directed at them, and groups trying to profit from them. But that's a great thing, as they were ignored for too many years!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
With the resurrgence of gasser interest, I'm thinking we'll see lots of events directed at them, and groups trying to profit from them. But that's a great thing, as they were ignored for too many years!
Heard on the "Live Stream" this morn that NHRA is putting together another Hot Rod Reunion which will be held in New England NEXT YEAR.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts