Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm a new guy from PA, I'm into anything that has wheels and a engine. I am in the process of putting together a 55 ford club sedan. It's getting a straight axle and some updated rear suspension,and alcohol injected small block. It's main purpose is to look nasty and go fast, this will be a drag car, no street. Ok enough about me, I'm gonna go check out this site!!!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Welcome ******. About time we got a Ford Tri-Five on board. We've got a couple of great '53's workin' up a sweat here and they will look fantastic. My Dad had a '55 Ford he used for driving to work back around 1960ish. I was born in '52 so I was around 8 maybe. The first car I ever started, put in gear dumped the clutch (not intended) and hit a tree, heh. Didn't hurt anything since I only rolled about 6 inches until the tree got in the way. But always held a special place for the '55 Fords in my heart. It had a V8 so I would assume a 272 Y block. The Y blocks have a special sound to them that brings back my Dads '55 everytime I hear one. Any who. Look around and see what's happening, then bring us up to speed on your car. Especially your vision for it. Engine, trans etc. Great having you here and looking forward to more info. Every time I drive to my son's house I drive past a Ford guy. '66 full sized convertable, what looks to be an early F-100 '50's custom pick up and one really nice green '55 post car. OK I'm done babbling. Great having you hee. Enjoy the site. MArk L

·
Registered
374 Posts
Welcome, and Happy Thanksgiving! Lets see some pix!!

PS, I sent you a PM about the ladder bars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guy's.

Mark, you wanted to know my plans for this car. My father and I purchased this car in January 2011 having plans of building a low budget gasser to run at the jalopy showdown drags at our local track Beaver Springs. Our plans quickly changed when we found out he had cancer, we lost him 2 months later at the young age of 51. I told him I was going to build the car and give him a 10 second pass no matter what, here I am! I removed the front clip and suspension a couple sundays ago, I ordered a speedway straight axle kit and started mocking it up last night. As for drivetrain I have a Hilborn injected 421" SBC that I plan on running with TH400 and 9 inch rear. When we got the car the guy we purchased it from said he pulled a 428 with a C-6 from it. There are many signs of it being a old hotrod/racecar. It has a homemade battery tray in the trunk with cable running to the front, also has a set of slapper traction bars on it. And last but not least the ever so famous Chain from frame rail to the cylinder head LOL.

This is a pretty emotional project for me as I'm trying to get my nephew interested in cars, he is 15 and doesnt know a whole lot about this sort of thing. I was used to working with my dad on all of our projects. We also worked together everyday at our job, so it is very different not having him around. I hope to get lots of pics that I can post to keep everyone updated. When I get more pics I will start a build thread. Thanks again for the warm welcomes. Have a good Thanksgiving ******!

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Welcome, ******. Nice bio. I hope you can get your nephew into it. Sometimes it takes persistence to get them going, but he'll be glad that he helped you put in the end.

Any shots of the start?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
So sorry to hear about your Dad. I was never very close to mine but I made sure I was with my son, as much as I could. Build that thing in his memory and smile everytime you drive it, and make sure to talk to your Dad when you do drive it. He'll be right there next to you. Mark L

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome ******.... Great group of guys here & tons of info. Can't wait to see pix of ur car!

·
Registered
107 Posts
hi ****** and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro. sorry about your dad, i'm sure hes riding shot-gun with you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just wanted to give you guys a update, it's been quite a while since I been on here. I "finished" my 55 ford 1 day before the gasser reunion at Beaver Springs Dragway, I should say it's not finished but runable. The car still needs a few odd's and end's and paint. The weekend went overall pretty good I had a steering gremlin I had to work out after my first attempted pass, after that it was just trying to sneak up on the tune.

I was very skeptical on how the suspension was going to react, as this is the first racecar I have built. But all I can say is I must have done something right because the car was pulling the wheels 4-5 feet off the ground and carrying them past the 60ft mark. As for ET the car got quicker every pass and I made it to the 3rd round on saturday and broke out. I dialed a 10.70 and ran a 10.6x leaving off at the stripe. I do believe there is quite a bit left in the car if I can calm down the wheelstands a bit. I'll try and post some pics.......

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Awesome Ford Gasser ******. I don't think anyone would have guessed this was your first racer build had you not told us. Looks like it deffinately hooks well and must be handling pretty well to be getting those ET's. I would agree with getting a handle on the wheel-stands. You may want to add some wheelie bars to hold that nose down. The time going up is time lost going ahead. It also takes it's toll on the front suspension. I agree with Val too though, "the wheel-stands really get approval from the crowd."

Keep us posted! :)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Thanks for the update & pics. Great shot with you & the "Reaper"!!!!

How did you like Beaver Springs??? Similar to Thompson????

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Beaver springs is my "home" track, yes I like it. There's things that could be changed but I think it would take the "old time" feeling away from it. Never been to thompson but I would say its quite different, there isnt any guardrails close to the lanes. From what I gathered most people really like it at beaver springs. It's all I've really ever known. Great people and very family oriented, but dont let that fool ya I like drinking beer after the race as much as anyone.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Thompson had a fatality the week after the Gasser Reunion. That would be the same weekend Beaver Springs/Gasser magazine held their Gasser Reunion.

A car went thru the guardrail at the end of track at full speed. :(

·
Registered
699 Posts
Awesome pictures! Pulling the wheels like that must be fun!

On another note, that sucks someone died at the track. Not a good day.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Love seeing wheel stands :D:D Beaver Springs, has to be the nicest track. So family oriented and very country lay out. I live about twelve miles from Numidia drag strip which is also a nice strip. Wish I was just that far from Beaver Springs. Hey good to see another Pa. guy on board ****** ! ! :D:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts