Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, in my last post for the header project I mentioned I needed to replace my old inefficient radiator with a new BIG aluminum unit and I started that today. I'm thinking if the rest goes as well as today did this project will be a slam dunk.
After removing the old piece of crap, doing some preliminary measuring and figuring I needed to widen the the front bulk head and radiator support by 9 1/2", out came the angle grinder and cut off wheels.

Photo 1) Old piece of crap

Photo 2) The radiator support bracket cut and spread 9 1/2". I'll be welding in a section of 1" angle

Photo 3) Final fit after finish cutting. The radiator is sitting on a piece of wood stock that is sitting on top of the frame rails. I'll be replacing this with a section of aluminum channel that I'll be gluing in a strip of 1/2" high density rubber for vibration and cushion.

Photo 4) The bulk head brackets clamped in place and checking for proper height and hood clearance when hood is closed. If you're wondering about the large cut on the bottom of the splash pan that was done after the final fit of the radiator. The splash pan curves up and covered the bottom couple inches of the core. I want as much air flow as I can get so I cut the curved part off level with the flat part of the splash pan.

Photo 5) A grill insert I picked up at the Long Beach Hot Rod swap meet. It's made from 1" stainless tube, bent 90 degrees at the ends and the tubes are cut in half. I'd been thinking about using the grill from a 58 Ford that I got for my Willys but then I came across this and I think when it's finished and mounted it'll look better than that choice. Besides, then I don't have to try and find another grill for the Willys.

On another note. The guy I purchased the 15" X 4 1/2" slots and new tires from shipped them before he even had my check. The FedEx site says they're supposed to be here Friday; that'll really make me happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Cool its nice when some thing goes as it should instead of a struggle to make things work right.........Lash

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Those big blocks definitely need a bunch of radiator! Even more so when they're built a bit! I've had a larger radiator sitting here for my Falcon for almost a year now, and haven't done the mods to install it. It's not only 5" wider, but also a triple pass. But it requires some major mods to make it fit.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, so much for a nice, easy, no problems installation. I went out this morning to what I thought was going to be finishing the installation. When I went to attach the shroud it was about a 1/4" to wide and didn't fit between the tanks. I looked up around my garage trying to find the "project gremlins" that are always there raising hell with you where ever they can. So before I started cutting on the shroud I thought I'd email the vendor and got a very quick and positive response which I've copied and pasted below:

Your previous message

I started to install my fan and shroud assembly yesterday and ran into a problem. Evidently whoever was using the break or press the day this shroud was formed wasn't paying attention. It's about 1/4" to wide so it doesn't fit between the tanks as shown in the photos. I'd appreciate a quick response as the vehicle is now inoperative.
Thank you

REPLY:
New message from: autocity1958
I do apologize and I will get that exchanged for you and have it checked before leaving.

We just checked one out and it looks like the last batch came out a little wider like you received I have one in polished that is the correct size I will ship that if you are ok with the polished finish.

I emailed him back and said it'd be a shame to put a polished piece on a motor that has nothing else polished. I asked if he didn't want the one I have back I'd go ahead and modify it while I waited for a non polished replacement. I can still go ahead and finish up the mounting brackets and then seek out some hoses that will work.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Take the polished and dont clean it for a while or dull it down........get her done Steve, we want pics.....Lash

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
shroud and new/used wheels

Lash,
You know what, you're right. I got an email back from the vendor saying that they wanted the old one back. I emailed them back and told them to go ahead and send the polished one. I'll just hit it with my orbital sander and maybe a 1500 grit pad. I decided instead of just mounting a piece of channel across the frame rails (which would be way easy but would also be butt ugly) on each side I'm going to weld a piece of 1/4" X 2" flat stock that I have heated and bent to the correct angle that is going to have a piece of 2" wide channel with the high density rubber glued in that will act as a saddle for the radiator to sit in. Up top I have some scrap stainless that I'll make some straps to secure the top.
The FedEx guy showed up (late) with my wheels.

Photo 1) Yah, the FedEx guy was here

Photo 2) Wheels unwrapped. I'm sure glad these aren't polished.

Photo 3) How the wheels will look on the car.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Wow matching car cover, is that a ridge frame pan head on a cone bottom end?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hi Lash,
Actually it's an 88 FXSTC with an 80 inch Evo motor. Among the bizillion parts I've put on it are the Progressive Suspension shocks with a lowering kit. Right now the spring rate is set at the max because the lowering kit is set to where the swing arm only has about 1/2" of travel. It's set up like a drag bike. When I really want to go quick and fast this is what I drive. One of the parts that sets it off is the Vertex mag, you just don't see those on many street bikes. Also when I was building the motor and installing the mag there was no exhaust available in the configuration I wanted. I called all these so called "custom exhaust" builders, told them what I wanted and I guess it was to difficult for them. Mind you this was decades ago before computers and the internet; I'm using the phone book. After calling all the shops that had big ads I saw a name listed without a big ad, just a name that rang a bell; Belanger Exhaust. I called up, the dude answers, "Belangers" and I said "Is this by any chance Jerry Belanger who used to make headers for drag racers. He said it sure is, I told him what I needed, he said hell yes, no problem bring the bike in. What's really nice is that he was located in what was then the City of El Toro (which is no more), as in USMCAS El Toro (which isn't there anymore), as in Orange County International Raceway (which hadn't been there for many, many years) where the drag strip almost ran parallel to the run way; but most importantly he was only 20 minutes from my house. He made the one off 2 into 1 with the short 3" diameter turn out collector, sent it out for chrome and it only cost around $300 and he had it all done in 10 days. Where are these guys today?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Steve,,,,,,it really looked old school for what I can see.........defiantly a blast to ride.........hemorrhoid cream any one,my rigid BSA puts shock waves thru my spine on bumps, it doesn't get ridden much

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, the polished replacement shroud is on its way; can't wait to dull it up!!

Lash, yes I too am plaqued with lower back problems so unfortunately I don't ride my hot rod Harley as often as I once did. When I do I wear a lower back wrap.

Vall, you're right, a Scotch Brite pad makes more sense than an orbital sander. For that matter I'll probably use a very fine roll loc pad.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hey Steve, break out your Mother's Metal Polish and put some on your scotch brite pad, it will knock down the finish pretty well. I know you probably got some for that Beezer's side cases.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FedEx showed up

Came home early today (one of the advantages of being self employed); it's just been way to damn hot to work; and the FedEx driver had been here. My replacement shroud is here (you can see the slight difference in width in the one photo) and you'd think I'd be happy and raring to get going. Quite the contrary, it's just way to hot (103 in the shade in my back yard) for me to even think of going into the garage; plus I'm still recovering from the round trip to hell I took over the weekend. A buddy of mine and myself rode over to Prescott and back this past week end, 109 in Blythe, and I experienced something I hadn't in years; I was wearing a tank top and all my exposed skin blistered. It's amazing the things you find you can't tolerate anymore as you get older. If it ever cools down maybe I'll get something done. Shit, I don't even care about the new shroud being polished anymore; it's to hot to care!!
I really feel for all those poor fire fighters.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Your forehead looks smoked in the reflection in the shroud, but hey you still have alot of hair, Vall is right................ I have lost some big chunks of flesh to my dermatologist.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My Magnum continues to revolt against me

First: Lash, very observant. The first thing my buddy and me did when we crossed over the Colorado was to lose the helmets so my face was pretty exposed. As you also observed I do still have a full head of hair so at least I don't have to worry about burning the top of my head.

Second: Saturday morning I went out to leave my house, started my car and couldn't get it out of park; checked the owners manual, nothing. Came back into the house and Googled "2005 Magnum stuck in Park"; apparently it's a very common problem. I watched the video and the center console comes out along with the shifter assembly. The part that needed replacing is called the "shift interlock latch". When I got it out, talk about engineered to fail!! You can see in the photos that it's a pretty stout piece, all except for the teeny, tiny hook (it's such a small piece that I couldn't even find it laying where the shifter mounts and with that Pink color it should have really stood out) that a rather strong spring hooks over. You can see in the photos (sorry they're so out of focus) the very small spot where the hook broke off. I got a replacement from Dorman Products (just like my replacement fan assembly from 3 weeks ago) and it's all aluminum; ought to last much longer. At least this time I was in my driveway when the car screwed me and not 50 miles away like last time.

Third: I went to mount my new/used wheels and tires and the center hole of the rim isnt big enough to fit over my tapered hub. I looked at the backs of my other two sets of front wheels and they're both machined with a taper. Now I got to take the wheels to a machine shop to get them taper milled.

On to the radiator: I got the 9 1/2" piece of 1" angle welded in and braced on the bulk head U bracket and then reinstalled the front bulk head assembly. Set the radiator back in, took some measurements for the proper height and set about making the saddles it's going to rest in. I had a short piece of 1/8" X 2" flat stock that I figured would be perfect for the saddles so I cut some pieces for the bottoms and sides and welded them up. Then I cut two 3" lengths of 1/8" X 1" square tubing for the stands and welded them to the bottoms of the saddles. I gave some thought to whether or not I wanted to weld the new bottom supports onto my front frame support or use a through bolt; I opted for a through bolt. I went and got 2 stainless 3/8" X 4" X 16 carriage bolts, flat washers and Nylocks and am going to attach the supports with them. The paint is drying now and hopefully tomorrow I'll get the top mounts fabricated, get the radiator mounted, find some hoses that will work and maybe, just maybe my running hot issue will be solved; more later.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
nice work Steve..... yea I would have gone with the thru bolt also ,I hate welding some thing in that I may want to change later and have to cut and grind things out, nice work, so would you buy a Magnum again. I have been looking for a newer ride for my self and looked at a few , they where a little small for my taste I like big cruisers, but they did feel right when sitting in them

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Lash,
That was my exact thought, not wanting to have to cut and grind later. As for the Magnum, yes I would buy one again. You must really like a BIG car because when I sit in and drive it, it is a heavy, big car. One of the best things I did was to put Bilstein struts and shocks on it a while back.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Little Victories

Well, the radiator installation is finished and I believe it's solved the heat problem. I ran the car for 20 minutes in my driveway, with the sun on the motor, and it never got above 155 degrees; depending on the temp when I drive it I may end up putting the thermostat back in. A little victory is nice once in a while. It really wasn't a huge project but the problem seems to be solved!!
Next up is installing the Gear Vendors over drive unit. I may wait until after the Cruise For a Cure event at the end of the month before starting this one in case I have to make or modify my trans mount and ladder bar mounts. I've just never been crazy about when I take this car on the freeway; this 428 just doesn't like 4:56 gears for long periods of time.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Looks good Steve, the gauges look really nice and have a factory look to them, be sure and get some pics at the cruze......Lash

1 - 20 of 39 Posts