Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this site, I love gassers and drag racin'. I live in Wisconsin so the season is limited. My first car (in 1965) was a '55 Nomad with a built 265" I have had a few more since then, and I am currently building a '53 Chev B/A with a .030 over 409 with a ST10 & a 66 Chevelle 12 bolt, 456 gears. I was a bodyman, painter, frame tec by trade for way too long.. Retired now and I hope there's more time to play.

jim

·
Registered
643 Posts
Welcome New old guy, So on that 53 Bel Air,, you are planning on makin that a gasser right, Right, RIGHT!!! :D:D:D

Let us "see" whatchagotgoing!
We want to bench race with you,,

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Welcome Jim. I'm from Elkhorn WI, down here just 4.5 years now. Glad you could join us. There was a '53 Chevy in/around Elkhorn that was lifted up much like a gasser but no straight axle back when I lived there. They make great gassers and Hot Rods. Get us some pics and let us know your plans. If you are starting to build it, start a thread in the Projects section so we can roll along with you. Enjoy your stay here. Mark L

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the welcomes guys. I'll post some pics iffen I can get them small enough. I never been good at that.. :) As for the build, I just want a streetable old Chevy, so far the body is all in primer, the frame is done, and the 2 four '09 is all new and never been fired, frt axle is a speedway set-up, ansen or wedge 'shield, ( I have both) 11 inch clutch, super t-10 with the mandatory Hurst shifter. I have a couple of old Moon tanks, I don't know if I'll use either one, but hey, they're cool looking. I plan on having a roll bar built when the body gets mounted on the frame, I would love to go racing with it, but I don't think it would pass tec with the old 'shield, or the 1968 dated cheaters I have had since '69. I have been saving old parts for years and this is the dumping place for them......wish me luck.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Jim, here is a link on how to upload photos. I would however suggest a photobucket account and that will auto size when loading. Towards the bottom of the how to load thread is how easy it is to down load from the bucket. If you need any help at all, let me know and I will help were I can. last option is email me some pictures and I will load for you. Have a Happy :D

·
Registered
643 Posts
That's a nice looking Chevy, and a sweet 409..... And I spied some collision stuff going on :D
I spied that ROTISSERIE!

iu2race, nice "fixture" you got there to help with the rebuilds!!,,,,, I am still crawlin under cars and slummin for lift time at my brother in-laws shop!;);)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, I was self employed for quite a few yrs, I got started rebuilding wrecks after my stint in 'Nam. I did a bit of everything, but enjoyed fabrication, and frame work. Started doing Hot Rods, and roof chops in the 80's. That rotisserie is great, costly, but well worth it when yer too over the hill to lay on your back all day, and then try to get up....The frame machine is what made me the $$$ to afford the other toys.

56 Vic,..... a '56 Ford sedan is the reason why I am making my '53 a gasser. I had it nearly ready to drive as a cruiser, and went to a show and just happened to meet and chat with the owner of the '56 Ford turned street gasser, nothing fancy, but it tripped my trigger. I hope to meet him again when mine is done. I ain't as speedy a worker as I used to be so it may be a while.....

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Jim, your story sounds reminiscent of so many others... whom over the years developed a passion for automobiles, acquired and honed skills of which transformed that passion into a source of prosperity and support for the inevitable need to apply ones personal perceptions, preferences and modifications to those automobiles. A true American hot-rodder.... :)

And Thanks for your service to our Country!

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Looks really great in the pictures Jim! Seems like hotrodders are mostly an old bunch. Fortunately we've got some young guys here that still find these old gassers to be cool too!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts