Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys. I admit to doing some light bragging here but feel like you wont flame me too bad.

I had mentioned that my wife was about to come into some money from an inheritance. Well she got a lot of it already and hence the only reason I have my Nova hot rod. I have never owned a pick up except for a 49 Studebaker I built in auto mechanics at high school.

It had a 392 Hemi and torque flight transmission with a tractor gas tank mounted in the bed behind the cab. Paint and body shop painted it metallic purple! It could smoke the tires at will and was the scariest machine I ever rode in much less drove.

Today I have a 2015 Ford F-150 with almost 600 miles on it now. I just put gas in it for the first time yesterday, it came with a full tank. This will pull my Nova around the country any where. Its taking me some time to get used to this new truck, on the way home from the dealership I was stopped at a red light and the engine quit! Fan speed on the a/c dropped way down and I thought I wouldn't make it home!

I was on a grade and the second I released the brake the truck was running. No starter sounds just like a light switch instant on. Same thing if your not on a hill, touch the gas pedal and its like the engine was never off. How does it do that?

Fortunately you can hit a switch, and turn off all that and the engine just keeps running like most people are used to. But the most impressive feature is the tiny little 2.7 liter Ecoboost V-6 with twin turbos. Makes an honest 325 horses and as much torque, and will plant you firmly in the seat when you gas on it. Its very hard to believe its a little 6 cylinder.

009.jpg 010.jpg

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Read your owners manual,.....................$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ nice ...........Lash, you forgot the trailer go back to the dealer.......LOL

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Read your owners manual,.....................$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ nice ...........Lash, you forgot the trailer go back to the dealer.......LOL
I still have not taken the manual out and looked at it. Been too busy playing with the Nova. I don't have a place for a trailer at the moment. But we are going to turn the one car carport into a two car garage or more likely a safe house for the Nova and room to work on it or just stare at it. And we will build a new driveway to replace the joke we have now and that will allow for trailer parking. The F-150 has a trailer tow package and a "sport" mode. As it only has just barely 600 miles on it, I have not "let it eat".

Tow package is cool, it can tell you the weight of what your pulling, and it knows if the trailer has brakes plugged in or not, if not it sets up the pick ups brakes to handle to load. If the trailer sways much the truck knows it, and speeds up or slows down with out noticing, just enough to straighten out. All I know about the Sport mode is it keeps the engine revs up in the boost range so it feels and is stronger.

I just turned it back off. I admit to this, today on the way home I was on a side street and stopped to see how it would get off the line just by nailing it in normal mode. It throws you back hard and the tires squeal for a second or two and then there is a second or two of just nothing, then the tires break loose again 50 feet out from where your started when the turbos take over. Don't think I will be doing much of that but I had to try it. Smells nice!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Yea, I love it...............wish I had one of those engines sitting on my engine stand for my truck, I love tech-know horse power, it rocks that you get to enjoy a little bit of financial freedom, life is short so live large if you can......I l like that you are changing up the nova to your liking................. I think the Cragers will be a nice addition........... my guess is some day it will have a blower on top of that engine......Lash

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Been looking at that truck hard. I have heard lots of good things about them and the ecoboost. Have to save my pennies so maybe in a year or so. My duramax has almost 300k on it but its still a good work truck. The Ford would be my driver. We have a new Fusion and it stops and starts automatically at lights. Strange at first but we have about 60k on it already and I love it even if it is my wife's car.

Mike

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I sure thank you all for the nice words. Its true I have never been any where close to wealthy or even kind of wealthy sort of! And If it was not for my wife getting her inheritance my 61 year old ass would still be out of work and feeling about as worthless as a man could.

San Antonio is a low paying area and always has been, but the cost of living is lower here. To have this pretty little Nova to play with is something so great I still have not comprehended it. I go out side sometimes three or four times a night just to see if the car is really there. I'm doing lots of things to the car to make it my own, and have had the ideas in my head for 40 years I bet. So while I'm in the dream state I will try my best to make this Nova a real looker and just as real a runner!

I just know, I'm going to wake up and all this will be a dream, I don't think I could take it. Before I wake up, I want to get done the things I dreamed of, then it will be a labor of love for the rest of my life tinkering with it. A good thing for a man to do to keep him self busy and active and out in the world sometimes. Beats sitting at my computer all day looking on craigslist for some kind of job they let "old men" do for $8.00 an hour, and fighting back tears.

As far as the F-150 goes, I have been so wrapped up in the Nova I have not even taken the plastic wrap off the owners manual of the pick up. I have waxed it though! Like I said in another post the F-150 just blows me away with the quality of everything on it. Its quiet as a tomb inside, everything looks and feels like quality, and again it runs better than any V-8 "factory stock" pick up I ever drove or rode in.

There are lots of road tests on the web, my favorite is where they put my pick up against a Chevy with the big V-8 and a Dodge with a Hemi V-8 pulling heavy trailers of the same weight and kind up a 10 mile grade in Arizona in the middle of summer. The F-150 went by them so fast if there windows were down and they were wearing hats, they would be gone! One day when we have room for it, I will get a trailer to haul the Nova to races and distant car shows.

It will probably be then when I look in the rear view mirror and see my Nova following me, it will sink in how totally fortunate and blessed I am.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts