Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mopar is getting some love in the 5spds. Passon performance designed and built a brand new 5spd trans. It has similar dimensions to the A833 and is a direct bolt in if you have an 18 spline setup. It does cost 4300 bucks but is american made. I think it's awesome an American company is bringing something like this to market. It means people don't have to hack their trans tunnels to swap over to a 5spd. It is not quite for sale yet.

http://www.passonperformance.com/images/stories/passon_documents/Passon_5-Speed_Flyer_2010-11-18.pdf

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Expensive but a true bolt in 5 speed may not be that much more than another trans that needs extensive mods to bolt in?

Mark L

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you already have a manual trans car you will be ahead of the game. An auto swap to 5spd may be pretty spendy. The keisler kit I think is around 3k, so it comes in a bit cheaper. The main selling point is it you just unbolt the old trans and bolt in the new trans. No cutting or modifications.

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
The Tremec T56 5 or 6 speed sticks seem to be pretty stout, and fit most Chevy engines. They are not any larger than a automatic, and the only drawbacks are cost and shifter location. A little higher priced than a good Muncie 4 speed, and when retrofitted to a early stick car the shifters sit centered and back from stock 4 speeds.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Dang, if it really does live up to it's advertizement, it's gonna be a killer tranny. Putting an A833 in place of a Muncie is NOT all that hard. And the A833 is a bunch stronger than a Muncie, And the gears ratio's are spread nicely. I wonder if Passion could be talked into making a GM input shaft/bearing retainer conversion? Then bolt on a shifter with a 55-56-57 stick for the bench seat !! Yeah, I'd be in..........maybe.

·
Registered
395 Posts
They have the adapter plate to bolt the trans to a chevy eng and pilot needs cut 3/4 inch and turned down to fit chev bushing. I have a post on this in the trans section
Dang, if it really does live up to it's advertizement, it's gonna be a killer tranny. Putting an A833 in place of a Muncie is NOT all that hard. And the A833 is a bunch stronger than a Muncie, And the gears ratio's are spread nicely. I wonder if Passion could be talked into making a GM input shaft/bearing retainer conversion? Then bolt on a shifter with a 55-56-57 stick for the bench seat !! Yeah, I'd be in..........maybe.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found this when I was looking for a future 5spd for my Charger. Since my car doesn't have the original engine and trans I feel ok installing a 5spd. I was thinking it would be a fairly easy swap. That was until I saw how much work you have to do to the trans tunnel and even potentially the torsion bar cross member. After eventually putting in a brand new floor into the front of the car, I wouldn't feel like cutting it all up to put a 5spd in. The production cost of the trans is $3800. So they are not making a whole lot on it with $4200 price. I hope they make them for a while because it is going to be a few years before I get to that point on my car. I would also need to save for a while. Lots of crap to save for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts