Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another distraction. I just got one of these from my wife for making it to the big 6-oh. I'll post an actual picture when I get it set up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
bloody hell, thats cool !!!
look forward to seeing it in your workshop
can you use one??

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's awesome and looks like a really nice lathe. I know Norman and I are always commenting on how we can't figure out how people get along without one. It's amazing the parts that you can make with one.

Keith

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
Grizzly makes some very nice lathes! They bought South Bend, and a lot of their lathes are based on solid SB engineering. I've got an old cheap Chinese lathe, and would love to own a Grizzly like that! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That's awesome Gary! Looking forward to watching you turn-out some cool parts....

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Nice Gary. You have an amazing woman. Have her people contact my people so I can get cool tools like that. :)
Wish you well my friend

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This one replaces one I've had for about 30 years, probably about like Val's. Where I work, we sell new and used machine tools. Once in a while, the boss sells a South Bend. I had him check his source and they didn't sell Grizzly,even though Grizzly sells South Bend. Even though I didn't buy from them, they were OK with having it shipped to the shop so I could unload the truck and load it into my pickup with their fork lift.

I got it up on my bench tonite but I think I have to take it back off and shorten the legs of my bench, stands too tall. Still have add a 220V circuit for it, too.

·
Administrator
13,416 Posts
You must have a very stout bench to hold the weight? I put mine on my bench also, and did a bunch of reinforcement first, to ensure it would hold the nearly 500 lbs. my little lathe weighs.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My bench was way overkill for what I had. 2X2X1/4 wall square tubing legs and framework for the top with 1/4" plate top. I got it out of a junkyard that bought scrap from the big green tractor factory in town. I had to weld a piece of 3 1/2 X3 1/2 X1/4 angle iron on each end to make it 7" longer. and got the legs shortened 4" today. Looks like it will work out well.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All set up. I cut a few chips after I took this picture. My shop is still a mess but it usually is.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Thats awesome Gary. Now the sky is the limit on builds. Love it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts