1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You're about 6 weeks early Mario; it sucked me in!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol I got sucked in too but it's too funny.

·
Registered
644 Posts
That's funny.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
As a kid in middle school and high school I played the trombone. My lips used to swell up after a concert and I got laughed at a lot. When I first started learning and playing it, I was so small that I could not reach the last position (position 7) on the slide. So I got really good at using the toe of my shoe to catch the spit valve and get it to the 7th position. Then get it back up where I could grab the cross bar on the slide. The band director was going to move me to the trumpets because of my reach but he was impressed with my ability to hit the "toe notes" as he called them. By seventh grade I could finally reach the position without my toe but it took me a while to get used to it.
When I was a freshman, I was only 4 ft 9 inches tall. The freshman band was not considered important enough for new uniforms so we had to wear these old, old, outdated gray (and some where a little green too) uniforms and we had to take what we could get. Of course mine hung loose all over me, none small enough to fit. We had a song in our Christmas concert that required a kettle drum. But we didn't have a kettle drummer. So the band director got this fabulous idea, me in my sloppy uniform was supposed to run down to him while the song was going on, and pull on his pant leg as if I had to go to the bathroom or something like that. He would shoo me back to my chair and then go back to playing. Then do it all over again. Three times in all, timing it so that when he motioned for me to go ahead it was to coincide with the spot in the song that needed the kettle drum. Then I had to run up around the stage and grab the drum wand and hit the drum as if I just made it there. Being a kettle drum I also had to move the foot control pedal to make the drum change pitch. Well it all went great, I did my three time pestering of the band director, finally getting the go ahead of the director and got up to the kettle drum just in time to hit it perfectly. The crowd thought it was great and clapped and laughed (at me again--see a pattern??? LOL) and all was well in Bozo land. But wait, I had to do it all again, once more in the song. So it all went again as planned and I got my chance to head up to the kettle drum. But. This time I was running late and the time for the kettle drum was coming fast so I really ran hard to get there in time. As I got around the back of the trombone section heading for the drum, I started to slip, doing a near split. I grabbed the stick hitting the drum as I slide by, losing the drum stick/wand out of my hand from the bounce, and it went flying down over the band and past the director. Everyone thought it was a planned stunt but it was just me saving the moment. I got mad reviews form everyone except the band director. He thought I actually tried to hit him with the drum stick. HA!! You be the judge.

Markus O'Drumbangerous

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something tells me not to fall for that story Markus........But I like it.......either way......Hahaha

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Sad but true. Was the highlight of my freshman career. LOL. As a sophomore a "friend" pulled my band chair out from under me and I fell banging the outer slide tube onto the inner slide tube. Which locked the slide up solid. With no instrument to play while it was in the "instrument garage", I was assigned to the drummer corps. Just so happened that the wall behind the drummers was the shared wall to the girls locker room, actually the showers. The three months I spent waiting for the trombone to come back, we all took turns using the broken end of a drum stick to try to dig a small little peep hole through the wall. We had gotten pretty far into the wall when Christmas break came. When we came back some low life (maintenance) had filled and repainted the wall. Then my trombone came back and I never got back up to the drummer area. Damn, but I kept checking the wall out whenever I got a chance. Never did see it make it through.

Mark

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sad but true. Was the highlight of my freshman career. LOL. As a sophomore a "friend" pulled my band chair out from under me and I fell banging the outer slide tube onto the inner slide tube. Which locked the slide up solid. With no instrument to play while it was in the "instrument garage", I was assigned to the drummer corps. Just so happened that the wall behind the drummers was the shared wall to the girls locker room, actually the showers. The three months I spent waiting for the trombone to come back, we all took turns using the broken end of a drum stick to try to dig a small little peep hole through the wall. We had gotten pretty far into the wall when Christmas break came. When we came back some low life (maintenance) had filled and repainted the wall. Then my trombone came back and I never got back up to the drummer area. Damn, but I kept checking the wall out whenever I got a chance. Never did see it make it through.

Mark
it just got even better.....LOL

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Didn't mean to ji-hack your thread Mario.

Markus O'Slide-boniuos

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 11 of 11 Posts