Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all! I have been building cars and bikes my whole life but recently purchased a 65 Comet Cyclone from a friend. It's a pro street car and I am going to convert it to a gasser. I have a complete stock econoline van front suspension and steering to use. The car has a very poorly steering pinto rack and suspension under it now. Since the original steering box is long gone and due to the engine and header setup in the car I would like to keep the push/pull setup like the econoline. The car has a 416 stroker 351 Cleveland with a 4speed. My plan is to do the straight axle conversion first and then put a stock width rear end and leafs back in the rear and some Thunderbolt style lift bars and 10 inch pie crust cheater slicks.
Brad

Attachments

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Welcome Aboard Brad, hey I can't wait till ya get started, we have a few Falcons here so a Comet Cyclone will be a nice mix.... When ya get a chance, start a builder thread so we can all enjoy watching someone else work :D and we really like seeing build jobs ! ! Thanks for joining. :) :)

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Welcome aboard Brad! I'd recommend switching to cross steer on the Falcon axle, and relocating a steering box up front of the axle to avoid pan issues. Most boxes designed to mount rear of the axle can have the pitman arm turned 180 by filing out the keyway, and reversing them. I used a late 70's Courier/Mazda PU box on mine, and it mounts outside the frame rails for even more clearance. Also an E100 axle like your plan.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Welcome Brad. Glad you found us and I'm looking forward to watching the build. Vall (1946Austin) jumped in ahead of me in the cross steer recommendation. It makes most all steering box interferences go away and eliminates almost all of the bump steer that you would likely see with the push pull drag link. Comets make great looking Gassers. Thanks for joining and letting us share in your build. What are you planing for a motor/trans combo?

Mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. It seems the cross steer is the way most people go. I just figured since the push/pull worked in the econoline it would work for me and maybe I wouldn't have to buy extra parts. That's why I came here though- to get help and suggestions from those with gasser building experience! I am going to use the Cleveland/toploader combo that's in the car already.
Brad

·
Registered
7 Posts
Brad, welcome and may I say that is a GRRRRREEEEEEAT choice of tin to start with. Nothing like a 1er (one year) Comet. I had a 2dr sedan and still have 2 hardtop Cali's. One will become parts for the better one which as yours will ........... get a nose lift.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I promise I'll start a build thread when I have something to show. Right now I'm disassembling the econoline front end for clean up and reassembly. I need to find a steering box- suggestions? It'll be front cross steer. I am also considering 1500 lb trailer springs? I think the econoline springs are probably too long and spongy.

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
I promise I'll start a build thread when I have something to show. Right now I'm disassembling the econoline front end for clean up and reassembly. I need to find a steering box- suggestions? It'll be front cross steer. I am also considering 1500 lb trailer springs? I think the econoline springs are probably too long and spongy.
If clearance inside the frame rail isn't an issue, then a Ranger PU steering box from the 80's-90's works. If you need it outside like I did, then late 70's Courier/Mazda PU box is a good choice. Either will offset the input shaft over the frame, which will align it better with the steering column.
Since the Falcon and Comet columns are referred to as "the spear of death" I took mine out, and replaced it with a tilt GM column from a 90's Camaro. It adapted easily to the steering box using the column's original U joint, and DD shaft.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Welcome! I am going to go against the grain and say I think it would look cool as hell with the tubbed rear end....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got an 82 courier manual steering box on ebay. One step closer. Going to start my build thread tonight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts