1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.
My name is Jim.
I am from North East Pa. (Phila burbs).
Been lurking around here checking out the cool cars and getting ideas.

I have two projects going on that I feel I am never going to get done.
Have decided to put the one on hold and get to work on a gasser this spring/summer.

Tough decision for me..but the "hot rod" is going to eat up too much of my time and $$..
I want to have some fun and build a nice little cruse/drag car without having to worry about engine/drive train choices ect.

The primed car was my 1st car.
64 futura 6 cyl.
Pop bought it for me and we restored it (half ass job).
I drove it to high school and a few years after...it was parked in the weeds for 20 years when the trans went.
I pulled it out a few years ago and had to patch and replace just about everything but the roof and rockers. Long story...but I will digress as I want to get to the gasser build.

I picked up the other 64 on the cheap when I was looking for some trim and metal for the 1st car.
After I got it home and started looking it over...I could not bring myself to cut it up.Mini tub was already done (correctly) and it has sub frame connectors and a leaf spring relocation kit. It's the perfect car for a gasser as the front end is already half torn apart from a previous owner attempt to do a m.s.II front clip.
So there you go...hope that was not to boring.
Hope to talk to you all soon.:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Hello Jim. A big welcome to you and your cars. That Falcon certainly is a great car to start with. I like the first gen Falcons with the rounded look but for me, the '64 cars I think look tougher. Much more character in the lines. Very glad to have you here and sharing your cars/builds with us. Looking forward to your watching it all unfold. MArk L

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was talking to my dad today and he said the straight axle cars he drove in the 60's were a nightmare on the street.

I assume with advancements in engineering that the newer axle kits (ie. speedway) have. Tackled some of these
issues and a "streetable" gasser is an obtainable goal.

I guess my question would be...Is it?

Also...I like the look of a slightly dropped axle (4" or less).
Does this make for install headaches?
I see speedway does not offer a dropped gasser axle "kit'.

I have no worries about having to do fab work ect.
But I would like to buy the front end stuff all in one shot with componentsts that are meant to work with each other. This is why the speedway kit looks appealing to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome Jim-The speedway kit is good,lots of guys use them. A straight axle will never be as good as an IFS but they are quite drivable if installed properly. I have used them for years and would not have anything else on a gasser,so dig into that project and dont be afraid to ask questions-lots of info and help on this site! Post pics!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Two great looking cars! I like the earlier Falcons a lot and they look great as gassers. I have my 66 I am working on. The weather should be improving soon and I will be back in the garage getting busy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.