Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, as I said in my into post in the newbie section, I am looking to get into building a gasser. I found one I think has great potential and wanted to get some feedback on it before I drive the 2.5 hours to look at it. (if he still has it)

The car has the stance I like, seems to have not much rust but what concerns my amateur eye is the axle up front.

Is it worth a look? I took the pics off the guy's craigslist ad.

Thanks!

I am not adverse to some hard work, but want to know if it is worth my time to look at this.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have to agree about the front end, the big shackles are a little hokey for me. However that can be remedied. If the floors and the trunk are in nice shape I'd darn sure snatch it up. Those cars make awesome gassers !! I'd like to see some under the hood shots and see how bad it's been chopped on. Go check it out and post some pics. You have plenty of knowledge around here. What is the asking price if you don't mind me asking ?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have to agree about the front end, the big shackles are a little hokey for me. However that can be remedied. If the floors and the trunk are in nice shape I'd darn sure snatch it up. Those cars make awesome gassers !! I'd like to see some under the hood shots and see how bad it's been chopped on. Go check it out and post some pics. You have plenty of knowledge around here. What is the asking price if you don't mind me asking ?
well, here is the skinny. the trunk is good, the floors need patches, it has a ford 9 inch rear end. Texas car for .....2500 bucks. no motor or tranny, but my neighbor has a big block olds he said he would sell me cheap.

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
2500 seems a tiny bit to high but that's just my opinion. There's still quite a bit of work which equates to more dollars. Now if it was rust free it would be closer to the value asking price. My thoughts are if he installed the front axle as it appears what else has he done to the car you will have to back up on and replace.
That's some of what runs threw my mind looking at it as it sits. It dose however give you a good idea or vision of what it will look like but with the right components. I would visualize the car like this, take all the bad things you see, off the car and lay it in a pile . Keep the good stuff on the car, then look at what's left and value it as you see it. It would make an awesome Gasser...
I hope this helps and keep us posted ........ Good luck ! ! :D

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I was a bit alarmed by the front axle shackles, but it wouldn't stop me from looking for sure! Seeing the late model tilt column, 9" Ford rear, and the pretty decent period interior, I'd think the $2500 isn't far off. But only if the front axle setup is salvageable! It also looks pretty darn straight, so not a bunch of hidden rust and repair to do. Otherwise I'd be more comfortable at $2k or less if it isn't done right, and needs to be completely reworked.
Just dropping the shackle length will change geometry, if he has kingpin angles set for that length. So you'll need to lower the rear and front mounting points and adjust the kingpin angles to get correct inclination. The rear could be lowered to get the stance back on, but that might be more work too. I'd rather see the whole car a bit lower myself, and the wheelwells radiused. I'd also like a bit more uphill stance when reworking the suspension myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts