Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gasser folk.

I happened to fall here after finding a link on the HAMB site.
I have been into drag racing for a few years now and even raced a Pontiac LeMans, but what I've always wanted was a Gasser. I have had to sell the Pontiac to fund a house move, BUT the boss has said that once we're settled I can build my car.

I'm hoping to build a 40/41 Willys ( Yep another one) looking as close to 60's correct as possible but obviously modern safety.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Welcome to the site Andrew. We hope you will find your answers here about gassers. We are a little bit loose on being period correct. We try, but we also do not get real upset when things are modified or newer parts used for safety. A early Willys is always a cool gasser. We even have a few Pontiac gassers here. Take a look around, put your feet up and stay awhile. Show us some of your Pontiac photos. We like all kinds of cars here.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Glad you are here, get comfortable stay awhile, welcome from sunny Southern California!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
It's great to have you as a member Andrew. The UK has a great auto culture and I believe a very strong American car culture as well. It'll be nice to see you do a Willy's so we can watch your progress. Have you done any American cars in the past? Good to have you on board. Enjoy your stay.

Mark

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing what you build, and how it goes. Yes, a Willys gasser is pretty traditional, and more are done as gassers than as any other style. There's a fella north of London named Steve, who goes by Langy on the HAMB site who has built a nice fiberglass Willys coupe, and is presently building a Willys PU too. Both cars very close to traditional, and some of the nicest workmanship I've seen anywhere.
Hope you'll start a project thread when you get started, but might contact Steve (Langy) on the HAMB also, and maybe stop in to see what he's building in your area. I think he sells glass bodies also.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/my-willys-coupe-build.572303/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guy's Thanks for the lovely welcome.
I will get around to doing a build thread etc when I start the build, as at the moment I am sorting out moving house so monies are tight. Fingers crossed at the start of next year I can start on it all.

Mark, I've not done a full build before. I have done bits and pieces of restoration and modification on a couple of my old vehicles as well as building a race engine - Pontiac 461ci from a 400ci block which was dyno'd by the new owner at 580bhp, it should have been over 600bhp but he had a different carb, intake and didn't use the electric waterpump so lost a bit of power.

Vall, I have been chatting with Steve as I'm going to have one of his bodies off him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts