Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, new guy here. I recall a blue 37 chevy coupe that was a A/G car that ran at Edinburg Speedway other names for the same track Big Valley Dragway, Edinburg Dragway, International Racetrack and present day Edinburg Raceway in the late 60s. That car was just too cool. There was also a 37 Black Gasser being build in McAllen at the time but lost track of that one. I found this site and looked interesting. I had to put my journey on hold years ago when I first started raising a family with a warning label may effect my hobby and financial statement. It took me years to the gasser I always wanted when I was younger. My 37 body was a little rough but she was sweet. I picked up the coupe from an older man, he told me the car was from Missouri and he was not able to complete the project. My journey once again was started and it will be fun that no matter how much work you put into the project like this you will never be done. There is always something new or different that you are going to want.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Welcome aboard! The '37 Chevy is my favorite coupe of all time. I built a gasser model of one when I was a kid and have always loved them, although 1937 was the best year for coupes anyway.

Start a thread for your car so we can see some closeup pics. Great to have you here. Agree that they are never finished.

Mike

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for those welcome to the forum. Am I going to do a build thread? I am not sure because of my computer skills am trying to load pictures but for some reason not computer friendly. In my opinion, the designers at that time certainly had a good eye and you can't beat the looks of 37/38 Chevy coupe with the front high an eye catcher and a conversation piece. Trying to build a gasser-style car these days suffers from one particularly important problem and that is finding period correct parts to use. The great part about building a gasser is the overall simplicity of the design: straight-axles front, basic crossmembers crafted in the framerails, fenderwell headers, in my case line locks, coil over in the rear with a 4-link. In my opinion, a gasser is something that you’ll cruise across the country, have fun at the track, cruise-ins and shows. When asked as to the current street-ability of the gasser, explained that little to nothing is needed, there is some rust on the quarters in front wheel wells down low and some pin holes in the bottom of the doors. Other then that just having fun.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
A big welcome to you noted 1017. I'm really glad you decided to join in. I hope you get your pic posting legs under you because that '37 is so sweet. Prior to the present build I'm doing I had a '40 Olds coupe body and frame to start a build. But the '63 Catalina came up rust free (completely rust free) and I wanted to do something different. So I traded the '40 and another car for the '63. All those GM coupes were very similar and all looked great. Looking forward to your build thread so we can see your ideas and your prospective. Again. Welcome and enjoy your stay. Mark L

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Yes, building a gasser to be exactly period correct can create some real issues, both monetarily, and also just finding those parts! I think most people try to be as close to a traditional look, and don't worry too much about what doesn't show, or doesn't jump out at you. I have several non period parts on both my gassers, but most people still think they were built 50 years ago, and just put back on the street recently.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Welcome noted, new here myself. Moved back home to Ohio (gasser central) a couple years ago from Lubbock. Love the '37, way more than the 38 and 39 (see my album). If you ever decide to sell let me know.
Sharpest '37 gasser out there now imo is owned by a guy named Beck in California. If I knew how to post a pic I would. Keep us updated with progress pics.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Welcome to our family of gasser junkies. We are all sick and it looks like you have the same symptoms, so you should fit right in. Seriously, I love late 30's coupes. I remember, they used to be called fat fendered coupes and nobody really liked them. Times have changed. Enjoy the site.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Welcome noted1017!

I'll warn you like I have others,,,WARNING, YOU ARE GOING TO LIKE IT HERE!!!

Get comfortable and enjoy the easy going style of all of us posters...We are very opinionated though, you see, WE LIKE ANY/ALL GASSERS!

Starting a thread and adding pictures can be a tough first step for some but very worth it!
If you do a build thread, you will have a great photo album that you will enjoy more and more as time goes on,, and we get to enjoy it with you.

There are threads here that will help you through the steps and individual help too by just posting a question.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please allow me to reintroduce myself. I’m Rik “Noted1017.” Those forum members that have welcome me to the forum THANK-YOU for those kind words you all have the most BEAUTIFUL GASSER THEME cars that I have ever seen congratulations on your creations GREAT WORK. I would like to say that GHR is something that I could have never imagined. I have learned so much from the wisdom the forum members have given. I have never found such a large amount of wisdom in one location. I wanted a car that was a little different and to my liking. This will a street car, see track action on the weekend and to work on Monday. I will continue to figure out this load up system and look into the photo album once I can control this a thread will get started. I will ask the computer teacher at school for some help. Thank you all.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Strat99, I have search on that Beck car but found nothing. It must be a great looking car. I have long had my eye on a 37 Chevy coupe gasser “HECLA” that appeared in Street Rod Builder magazine issue volume 10 number 4 may/june 2009 what craftmanship. I have gone to a few shows where gassers are fashionable. Whenever one appears at a event or drag race gathering, these cars are like magnets spectators and rodders swarm all over them. I hope the computer teacher can help me out with posting pictures. I am also going to inform him of the slow down on this site it may be my computer will have to check it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It worked! Really like the chopped top, frenched in headlights. Don't like where he moved the turn signals but that's the ONLY thing I don't like. B/G? That's an A/GS if I ever saw one. :) Also note that he suicided the doors, oh yeah. (God forbid, are those Ford handles?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm new to this tread thing and I will make some mistakes. I have limited time and money. My journey will be fun and I hope everyone will enjoy. This will be a high nosebleed stance 37 chevy coupe. The tread will start soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm new to this tread thing and I will make some mistakes. I have limited time and money. My journey will be fun and I hope everyone will enjoy. This will be a high nosebleed stance 37 chevy coupe. The tread will start soon.
Looking forward to progress pics noted. Chevs of the 40's is a good online source for parts, just FYI.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Lookin good! I like the stance!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Welcome to the site 1017. Love it another Chevy guy. Not that I don't love all the rest too.......LOL
Mario

1 - 20 of 21 Posts