Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys.
Hey guys. Somehow I just stumbled upon this great gasser site and thought I better register and get posting. Some of you might recognize me from the Tri Five site or the H.A.M.B. I am not a big poster but I do post the odd thing. I usually just do lots of reading and research. Here is some info about me. I am a 42 YO from Langley BC. Canada. Lots of hotrods and culture in my area of the suburbs of Vancouver. Been into cars since I was a young lad and always enjoyed sitting in with my Dad and his buddies enjoying their cars and stories. It left quite an impression on me and I ended messing around with cars for years and became an aircraft mechanic for a career. I fix helicopters for a living, working in the field with Hueys mostly heli skiing and forest fire fighting. I originally bought my 55' 2dr 150 handyman wagon with my dad back in 2004. I had intended on somewhat restoring it and hotrodding it a bit. We did get it up and driving for a few years but it needed a lot of work and time as well as money. I ended up getting married and had a child so that stuff got back burnered. My Dad needed some cash and wanted to sell it. I just couldn't let it go so I bought him out. It has sat in storage for a number of years now. I have decided I would like to do a slow budget build on it over the next several years and have started with my plans and collecting of parts. I have always enjoyed drag racing and had been building a 65' chevy II nova to be a street and strip car. I decided to sell it and pay some bills so I feel I am missing the void for the street/strip car dream. Since my Dad started taking me to the races as a boy I had always loved the tri 5 drag cars and Gassers so I have decided that will be the route I will take. I am excited about the plans. I will start a slow long running buildup when I have a chance so I can share my plans and show some progress. Hope to enjoy some conversations with you all.

Here is a picture of the car a few years back. I removed the really ugly 55' Pontiac stainless trim.

I am hoping to have it look more like this.

Cheers.
Greg

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Welcome to the insanity Greg. We have a lot of nice cars and projects and lots of great people here that like to share ideas and help where they can. I get up to Mission Raceway a couple times a year and am shooting for the Loafers races in August for straight axle class. I was trying this year, but it didn't work out. Kick your feet up and stay awhile, enjoy.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Hi Greg
Welcome to the forum. I like your vision of your 55. Gonna be a great build. Everyone here is great. Lots of experience.
Lots of great cars. Post your heart away.
Mario

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. I will copy my posts from tri-five over here on the beginning of my buildup. I am only just starting on my slow buildup. It will take me a few years to get something together but I will post my progress. My goal is to race at Mission raceway for maybe the odd friday night street legal drags and the loafers nostalgia weekend. Other than that it will just be a rowdy street car for cruising on Friday or Saturday night. I have my Buick (66 Buick Skylark GS) for more long distance comfortable cruising. The site looks like the place I need for finding Gasser focused tech for my buildup. I will try not to be shy and post away. Cheers.
Greg

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Glad to hear it. I did the same when I came here. I started posting both my builds. So the buick is more than welcome even if its a stocker. I'm sure all would like to see pics of the buick too. I remember my uncle had a 66 skylark back in the late 70's. I remember tuning it for him. I think it was a 340 cu. in. Don't remember. It used to fry the one tire when you hit the gas. Lots of torque.
Mario

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Buick has been through a couple of engines. It had a 300 then 340 and now a 455. I have owned it since I was 15 so it has been a lot of fun over the years. The car is a GS clone. The old 455 does pretty good. Not a problem setting the tires a fire. Here is a picture of it. I restored it in 2000/2001. I have also attached pictures of my jeep. I don't have any current ones but it is coming together. I have just a little shop to work in so taking pictures of the overall vehicle is tough. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
Welcome to the forum Greg! Your '55 Handyman wagon is a very cool vehicle! I really like unique gassers, and a 2 dr. wagon is great! Glad you found us here, and looking forward to your build!

·
Registered
50 Posts
gidday from new Zealand.
good to see other newbies on here and I can definitely understand about the slowness of a build project --- it seems the older we get and the more time we theoretically have for working in the garage ,the reality is a lot worse. damned if I can work out where the time disappears to!!!
anyway look forward to watching your progress.

mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the warm welcome Mark. You Kiwis have some cool cars over there. My Mom is actually from new Zealand. She was born in Christchurch. I went over there when I was a young lad to visit my grand parents. It was a very long time ago but I do remember Rotorua. I actually have Canadian and New Zealand citizenship. I figured it might come handy in case I get kicked out of this country someday. :) LOL. I really want to make my way back there one day with my family so I can show them what a beautiful country it is. Hope to be able to show you guys some progress on my stuff.
Greg

gidday from new Zealand.
good to see other newbies on here and I can definitely understand about the slowness of a build project --- it seems the older we get and the more time we theoretically have for working in the garage ,the reality is a lot worse. damned if I can work out where the time disappears to!!!
anyway look forward to watching your progress.

mark

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Greg, a big old fat man's welcome to you. My best friend in high school bought a '55 handyman 2 dr '55 wagon with a 6 and 3 speed overdrive. That was the first car I ever helped swap a motor in. Dropped a nice little slightly built 283 into it. We had some great times in that car. Glad you joined the forum so we can watch and enjoy your project. Its going to make an outstanding gasser. Enjoy your stay here and looking forward to your build.

Mark L

1 - 11 of 11 Posts