1 - 20 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Gasser Build `33 Willys Coupe

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Tire Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
I`m starting a new gasser to drag race ,to replace my Falcon gasser . it sold on ebay and went to New York. 10 weeks ago I ordered a new race weight `33 Willys coupe from Scottrods. I got last week . In the process of of building a chassis jig ,so we can get started on it. I bought a cage & chassis kit from Chassisworks as a starting point ,then we`ll fit it a straight axle car. I`ll get some pictures posted when I get home later,stuck at work right now. I`ve been watching all the other builds and there is some really talented guys on here for a bunch of old hot rodders. later Bill

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys, No blown Hemi, I`m using the Hilborn injected 351C from my old car. We`re jumping up the compression to 14.5 to 1 and dropping the gear ratio down some. We figure it will be about 1750 to 1800 lbs finish weight without me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Machine tool Gas
Gas Engineering Machine Wood Auto part
Here`s latest update. we got the chassis jig table built yesterday ,then got a small start on the chassis itself. The table took a good bit of the day to get built and leveled. Still need some more movable cross braces ,but it`s getting there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, there is room ,plus the body only weights about 130 lbs. My shop has a high ceiling with only a loft in one end. Hope to get some more done during the week . My buddy is retired ,but I still work everyday. So it take a little longer than I hope it would.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We got the rear chassis and suspension tacked up yesterday. Now it`s time to figure where to cut the rear frame rail at . Then comes the hard part. How to get the front frame setup with a straight axle and keep it from setting a mile high. Here`s the latest pictures. Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Vall, I`m going to pull at least 2 leafs out of the fronts and see what we end up with. I`ve got a set of Alston bent front rails which will help a bunch. A buddy is helping , but his wife has been keeping him busy with honey-dos since retired. Bill

·
Registered
907 Posts
My axle set up was tacked to the stock frame and it sat way to high, IMO. I made a stub with "Z" and raised the fixed rear hanger as high as I could. Also, the shackles up front go through the frame instead of brackets underneath it. Not a very good picture, but I hope you can see what I did.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 323 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.