Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Gasser Build `33 Willys Coupe

100_1146.jpg 100_1145.jpg I`m starting a new gasser to drag race ,to replace my Falcon gasser . it sold on ebay and went to New York. 10 weeks ago I ordered a new race weight `33 Willys coupe from Scottrods. I got last week . In the process of of building a chassis jig ,so we can get started on it. I bought a cage & chassis kit from Chassisworks as a starting point ,then we`ll fit it a straight axle car. I`ll get some pictures posted when I get home later,stuck at work right now. I`ve been watching all the other builds and there is some really talented guys on here for a bunch of old hot rodders. later Bill

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Haven't personally seen one of Scottsrods glass bodies, but have heard good things about them. The '33 is certainly one of my favorite gasser bodies! Looking forward to seeing the build!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys, No blown Hemi, I`m using the Hilborn injected 351C from my old car. We`re jumping up the compression to 14.5 to 1 and dropping the gear ratio down some. We figure it will be about 1750 to 1800 lbs finish weight without me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
100_1147.jpg 100_1148.jpg Here`s latest update. we got the chassis jig table built yesterday ,then got a small start on the chassis itself. The table took a good bit of the day to get built and leveled. Still need some more movable cross braces ,but it`s getting there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lookin good, the 33' Willys is very cool. I'll definitely be following along with this build.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Looks really good. Is there room to get the body on while on the table? The only frame build I did was my '36 Ford pickup and I had the cab on and off several times during the build process.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, there is room ,plus the body only weights about 130 lbs. My shop has a high ceiling with only a loft in one end. Hope to get some more done during the week . My buddy is retired ,but I still work everyday. So it take a little longer than I hope it would.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We got the rear chassis and suspension tacked up yesterday. Now it`s time to figure where to cut the rear frame rail at . Then comes the hard part. How to get the front frame setup with a straight axle and keep it from setting a mile high. Here`s the latest pictures. Bill

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Nice work! Flatter springs, or springs mounted outside the frame rails. Either should get the front sitting at the lower ride height you're looking for.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Vall, I`m going to pull at least 2 leafs out of the fronts and see what we end up with. I`ve got a set of Alston bent front rails which will help a bunch. A buddy is helping , but his wife has been keeping him busy with honey-dos since retired. Bill

·
Registered
922 Posts
My axle set up was tacked to the stock frame and it sat way to high, IMO. I made a stub with "Z" and raised the fixed rear hanger as high as I could. Also, the shackles up front go through the frame instead of brackets underneath it. Not a very good picture, but I hope you can see what I did.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here`s the work we got done yesterday. Did get the chassis down on almost 4 wheels. And got the body set on it. But there is still alot of work to do . Bill

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,411 Posts
Not sure those front wheels will pass tech, but they're the skinniest front runners I've ever seen! ;) The car looks great with the body sitting on the chassis!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Vall , The fronts are the new never flat super skinny ,super low rolling resistance tires. I just hated to buy tires for setup and then they get old as we are building the car. Bill

1 - 20 of 323 Posts