Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New guy here from Northern California, researching the rebuilding of a car a friend of mine built in 1976-77, that I helped with. We were both 17 years old then.
It is a '65 Mustang coupe that we stuffed a Econoline straight axle under and dropped a tunnel-rammed, gear driven 383 Chrysler in, backed with a 4-speed and spinning a 9 inch with 4.56's
The car was a lot of fun, very fast and the stuff of legend.
It disappeared for nearly 30 years....
and we found it last week.
My buddy has his old hot rod at home again, and while it is going to take time, we are going to return it to it's former glory.
I like all things go-fast, including boats. I wrote a story about the car..what it was, how we found it, etc. it is here with some pics if you'd care to read it.

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/foru...aile-of-an-old-Hot-Rod-and-a-Lightning-Strike

This is a great forum for my favorite style of hot rodding. I look forward to learning all I can to take it back to my friend (not computer friendly) so we can bring the car back to life with some new pieces.

FBT.

·
Registered
510 Posts
FBT, welcome, I read the story on the Stang, very cool! Stick around and give us updates on the rebuild of the first build.
Andy

·
Registered
643 Posts
Your in the right place , glad you are here and welcome!

56 VIC - Tom

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Welcome aboard! Great story and pics. There are a bunch of us that dream of finding that first car we built and you did it! Looking forward to the build thread on this one. I had a few Mustangs in the past, my last one was an A-code 4-speed car. Always liked the way these things looked as gassers.

Mike

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Wow!! FBT, a big solid welcome to you sir. What a fanatastic story. And fantastic outcome. Finding it alone was a miracle but finding it even resembling the old car you guys built is almost impossible. I'm honored that you came to our forum and joined. It'll be great watching you guys rebuild it. The neat thing is, it's just what I think one of the old street gassers should/would have been like. Put together with what you had and the way you knew how to do at the time. A FrankenGasser. Have fun building it and reliving the past. Who the heck said "we can never got back again"--huh? Maybe we can't go back, but we can bring the "back" forward again. Enjoy the forum and we are here for any help we can render. MArk L

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
Welcome FBT, and thanks so much for sharing the story of the Mustang! It represents so much of what hotrodding was for so many of us when we were young! Building a gasser on a budget! Love the non typical engine too!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the incredibly warm welcome everyone. Yes, last week was one Jim and I will never forget. It will be a long process, but we will get the Mustang back in shape, and I will be here learning what I can and sharing the build.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts