Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old sprint car axle that uses these spindles. Hoping to find a stock rotor with either 4 1/2 or 4 3/4 bolt pattern that will work with no machine work. I was trying to use '76 Camaro rotors, had all the bearings and seal worked out, but the snout is too long for the nut to tighten on the bearings. The snout is 4 1/2" from the seal shoulder to the end and about 5 1/8 overall counting the seal shoulder. Inner bearing is 1 3/8, outer is 3/4". Seal surface is about 1.812". Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
John

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I have an old sprint car axle that uses these spindles. Hoping to find a stock rotor with either 4 1/2 or 4 3/4 bolt pattern that will work with no machine work. I was trying to use '76 Camaro rotors, had all the bearings and seal worked out, but the snout is too long for the nut to tighten on the bearings. The snout is 4 1/2" from the seal shoulder to the end and about 5 1/8 overall counting the seal shoulder. Inner bearing is 1 3/8, outer is 3/4". Seal surface is about 1.812". Any advice would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
John
Are you talking front rotors? Is this a disc brake setup already, or trying to swap a straight axle to disc brakes? Speedway sells rotors drilled for various patterns, and might have a pair that would slip on your stock Ford axle if it's a front straight axle. The two patterns you want were never offered on that axle, so you might end up removing the drums, and having the stock hub redrilled to 4.5" or 4.75", and then get slip on rotors without hubs.
If this is a rear axle, then Speedway sells weld on caliper brackets for a 3" axle tube, and then you can simply use whatever rotor fits the axle pattern.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vall, If I had the stock hubs, that's what I would do. I don't have them though, the sprint car used "6-pin" hubs, and they are aluminum. I ended up with 1990 Crown Vic rotors, and I'm having them machined to accept the inner bearing and seal for the F100. The rotor will accept the outer bearing for the f100 without mods. I'm going to get some of those speedway brackets, and drill them to mount to the ears for the steering arms. That's how it's done on a sprint, but you can't get sprint brake brackets to fit stock iron calipers.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I got the parts to convert my Falcon's E100 axle to a Frankenstein disc brake setup. Bought Speedway weld on caliper brackets for a 3" axle tube for $19 a pair. Then got Aerostar van rotors for $15 ea. and GM metric calipers for $16 ea. at Autozone. I'll bolt the calipers to the brackets and then start cutting metal away on the brackets until they clear my front spindles. Once they clear and sit where I want, I'll mark the bolt pattern, drill them, and bolt them on. A complete disc conversion for under $100. It's my winter project after the weather turns bad.

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
We got the brackets cut and drilled to fit the E100 spindles, and mocked up the Aerostar rotors and GM calipers. Looks like I only need about 3/8"-1/2" spacers on the mounting for the caliper bracket to line the brakes up with the rotor. We tried Crown Vic 11.5" rotors but they're too thin for the GM calipers, plus the diameter made the brackets sit so far out that we couldn't get enough material to drill mounting holes. The Aerostar are just over 10" rotor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the rotors are too thin, you can make spacers for the pads, either out of sheetmetal or use old pads with the lining removed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts