Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My New Toy
Money has been tight, I gotta say. My wife is still out of work but I couldn't resist the deal of the century for me. I finally had a good work in progress truck come my way. It was so cool even my wife was into it. It started life as a race car trailering camper truck. And then was used for odd jobs and now back to race car trailering. I need to spruce it up to be a sweet ride. But as I said its a work in progress truck. And the best thing is NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS. LOL No computer. Its a 1984 Siverado with Just braun big block turbo 400 and lots of suspension and weight capability. No rot in any of the usual areas so its not a Long Island truck for sure. Good foundation for a paint Job. LMC Truck catalog Here I Come. :D
Best Part is this truck cost me 2500 only bucks.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Looks great Mario! Nice to have a hauler that is big and tuff enough to do the job easily! And not having electronics just makes it better! Looks like 2wd also, which is a big plus to me!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Good score Mario, I know you have been looking for a truck like this for awhile. Good luck, and LMC has lots of good stuff!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Looks like a good truck! I still miss the 77 Scottsdale my family had growing up. My dad traded it in 2004. I told him I wanted it since it wasn't all rusty! The LMC catalogs are dangerous places for the bank account.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I got so excited for this truck , I haven't touched the MG for a week now. LOL

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just giving it some tlc Vall. Changed the door locks and driver lock switch. Repaired the wiper wiring. Was butchered with a toggle switch and wired direct bypassing the delay wipe. I'm changing the ignition lock but not before I get the wiper switch signal arm. Both located under the plate so I would like to change them at the same time. I pulled the front grill to work on the horns. Need new ones but got these two working again. Wd40 and screw adjustment did the trick. While in there I saw a vertical brace is cracked right in half from stress I guess. It was duct tape wrapped to not hit the condenser. I yanked the dash panel behind the steering wheel. Changed the oil sender and got great oil pressure now. Now gonna work out an oil switch for the choke heater. I may T off the sender. Someone tapped 12 v from the wiper to go to the choke heater.
My poor MG. I gotta go back to the gasser. I had someone look at the car in amazement and asked me if it was a cobra. Bingo that's exactly what I wanted. :)

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i reconnected the wiper harness wires. And ran the choke heater wires from the new Oil pressure switch I just installed with a brass tee to go along with the oil sending unit.
Ran the wire all the way into the fuse box to a terminal that was live with the key on. No juice got to the choke till the car engine ran supplying pressure to the switch , in turn warming up the choke heater. This way when the key is on and you sit inside without the engine running you won't warm the choke in the cold weather till the engine is actually running.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys , how about moving this thread to projects unless you don't want the non HOTROD stuff going on there?

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Moved this thread for you Mario!
Some people shouldn't be allowed to do wiring on cars! They'll grab power from any place, and wire nut, or splice with whatever they can get their hands on! Looks like once you're done, the truck will be back like new again!

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the move my friend. You're right about the wire nuts and ties traps. Lol they are all over the place.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Got my missing camper special emblem someone probably stole off the truck. Waiting for the Silverado 30 to show. Both discontinued and both purchased off ebay. Did an offer deal and got the camper for $12 and the 30 emblem for $21.99. The 30 emblem sells for 100 new. I didn't need to have a new one.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wanted to put back the AC compressor so I decided to replace the Valve cover gasket and get a birds eye view as to the condition of the motor. It looked awesome. It ran quiet as a mouse and was clean as a whistle. I bought the truck with no oil pressure but knew it sounded too good to be bad oil pressure. Glad I was right on that one. I cleaned up the valve cover and knocked out the dings and gave it a nice black paint job. While that was drying I put on the new head light switch knob. Then I got the valve cover on.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Next up was the compressor. I found a bracket was missing on the bottom of the compressor. Ebay had it and I got it for 10 bucks. I changed the door striker bolts. Next was the steering column disassembly. Wanted to change out the ignition lock cylinder and check out the wiper switch and replace the arm. Found out the wiper switch is bad in the column so I have to take it all apart again when it gets here.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
the windshield wiper saga is finally over. it took a whole lot of searching to find a new delay module and i got it from Classicparts.com. They have a limited supply of truck parts but they had the hard to find 84 module. Unique and not available in many popular online sellers.
It took a new wiper column switch to work again and a delay module to stop it from working when the switch was off. Thus the toggle switch placement by previous owners. It now works the way its supposed to.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I felt like taking advantage of the nice weather so I took off the passenger side valve cover and did the repaint and new gasket to complete the top.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Found out the AC lower bracket at the rear was missing. Went to ebay and found it at a bargain. 15 bucks delivered. All is back the way it should be at this point. I love this truck.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,414 Posts
Strange how little things like the support get taken off, and not replaced. Never understood what went through people's minds when they decide certain parts aren't needed?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts