Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys.
I know it is a couple weeks past Christmas now but I have been busy and have not had time to post much. I just wanted to share with you what my good woman had wrapped for me under the Christmas tree. I was wanting the Gasser Wars book as it had great reviews but it has been out of print for years. Prices on it are stupid. Apparently she found a price on a used one she could live with and bought it for me. (Thanks Honey) Well, glad she did as it is a great read and has many great pictures. I am learning some great details of the cars and rules in that era as well. Since I was born a generation after the Gasser era it is nice to learn how it evolved. Those were definitely the days of drag racing. No wonder my Dad still tells stories of it all the time. It is also easy to see how the rules and classes worked their way out of control. Too bad the NHRA didn't find better ways to reign them in. I still love the full body car drag racing but hate all the bracket classes and especially hate electronic throttle stops and whatnot. Those classes are what keeps attendance down and is holding back the tracks from success in my view. It is no wonder the nostalgia events are the biggest spectator turnouts of the year. Anyway, if you can get your hands on this book I recommend the read. Cheers.
Greg

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
That is a great Christmas present Greg. I also have the book. As you say it is a wealth of information. I tried to find everything I could when I started my car to give me a better idea of what I wanted and to try and keep it close to original in style and flavor. Happy reading!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Greg, another book you might be interested in is by Don Montgomery titled SUPERCHARGED GAS COUPES Remembering the "Sixties". It was originally released in 1993. He sells it through various sources including a vendors both he has at the Hot Rod Reunions at Bakersfield. Don himself campaigned a 41 Willys in BB/GS for over a decade. His book is hard bound with over 190 pages of B&W photos, no color but lots of information and is still available on line. I have several other books that cover gassers but his is the only book I've come across that is strickly Gassers. Tell your wife, maybe she'll get it for you for your birthday!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool man. I just looked that one up. I added it to my wish list at Amazon. That would be a great present for my birthday. Thanks. :)

Greg, another book you might be interested in is by Don Montgomery titled SUPERCHARGED GAS COUPES Remembering the "Sixties". It was originally released in 1993. He sells it through various sources including a vendors both he has at the Hot Rod Reunions at Bakersfield. Don himself campaigned a 41 Willys in BB/GS for over a decade. His book is hard bound with over 190 pages of B&W photos, no color but lots of information and is still available on line. I have several other books that cover gassers but his is the only book I've come across that is strickly Gassers. Tell your wife, maybe she'll get it for you for your birthday!!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
It is pricey.... Even for USED ones. On my bucket list also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts