Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gary's 62 Nova

I was really surprised to get the call that my car was all done and completely road tested and ready to rock. It is!

My lazy ass wife would not get off her butt to let me drive her in her car to the shop, pick up my car, and then just follow me home. She instead wanted me to just rent a U Haul trailer to go pick up the car I was going to drive home. $62.00 for that, now that's some lazy ass crap if you ask me!

Boy I feel better now thanks... lol All I had time to do after I got home was go about three miles to fill it with gas and back home. But what a difference. I have not even began to try to see what its got, but in drive getting on the on ramp at about 1/3 throttle that 2004R kicks butt and barks the tires hardily in second and third.

I guess the engine has a lot to do with that as well, its nothing but torque but very under control and under stressed. Coming home was the best experience so far. Not the power, I don't even know about that yet. But the lock up converter locks 1 to 1 in fourth and feels like 5th gear.

70 mph is only 2.000 rpm. And now my speedometer actually registers a fairly accurate reading with the proper set up in the new transmission that accounted for my rear tire size and gear ratio. Just some Cragar S/S's left to put in there for the proper "old school" look.

001 (4).jpg 002 (4).jpg 006 (2).jpg 009.jpg 018.jpg

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love it!!!!!! I'm jealous. Spiff !!!! .... hmmm... what's next ? ... can't wait !
Thanks man, but with a car like you have, I sure wouldn't compare it to my little toy. Crap your trailer is just awesome! I don't even have one. Gonna need something soon but it wont be in closed I know.

Next thing for me to do, is change the wheels to some shiny Cragar S/S's as deep as I can fit on it. Possibly some M/T drag radials on back and a set of M/T sportsman's on front, narrow like the ones I have now. The car actually feels comfortable now on the highway, and like I said 2000 rpms @ 70 mph with 3.70 gears is good! And the engine cant over heat. I never saw such a high tech looking fan set up. Has its own shroud, and boy does it move serious air thru that radiator. 180 degrees that's it doesn't matter how long you sit at a light.

But its a good thing I have two high capacity batteries because it stays on till it cools everything, its thermostatically controlled and comes on weather the key is on or not, stays one 4 or 5 minutes and stops. When that happens you can put your hand on the radiator or what ever no pain. If its not raining tomorrow, I can be sure I will hit the streets!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I love the new look with the back up higher, tint looks great, I dont know about the fans running after the key is off, should be ok if they shut off at 160- or so, you dont want to have a hot motor and then pump to cold of water into a heat sinked block after shut down, motor gets hotter when you shut it down for a while, you might want to take a heat gun reading on the radiator, you may want to call the engine builder, just a thought, what do you think of driving with the red tint is it a little weird like some say........All I can say is well done and what a joy to see it happen for you

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello! Rain and or slick streets has seen to it I don't go any where yet in the Nova. We need the rain bad, I just wish it would really do it and get it done not just drizzle all day and keep the streets slick as hell. My headlights quit working, parking lights do, and the high beam indicator is constantly lit when I try to turn on the lights. My guess, is the old crusty original dimmer switch that looks like it was under water at some time in its life, finally gave it up.

After over half a century of being stomped on and neglected. I'm good with it. It could be something else, the lights worked when I took the car in. No matter, how tough can it be to fix that? I had no brake pedal return spring on the car. The one it had, was wrong, and too small and when I got the car back it was just hanging there doing nothing. This became noticeable last night. After my one time ride to the gas station and back home, I noticed my brake lights were on when I got out. Those LED tail lights are very bright, especially the brake lights. So when I got in and pulled the brake pedal back a tad, and the lights went off, I knew the spring was not working.

How ever I forgot that now I also have another switch near the brake light switch that was not being pushed by the brake pedal. This one un locks the lock up stall converter which locks automatically in 4th.

I misunderstood this setup but I wasn't the only one. Nobody I talked to had ever had this set up. If you had a lock up converter like mine, non computer, the usual way was to just have a toggle switch to un lock the converter or lock it. I was told that was the they did it back during the time of the Flintstones by the people that built my transmission. "Bow Tie"

Any way my set up was not working yesterday afternoon. I thought that a 1 to 1 lock up converter would stall my engine like a standard stopping at a light with the clutch out. None of that took place. It would have, if it didn't down shift slowing down. The deal with the lock up release I have finally got thru to me but it took time and being like Fred Flintstone, I was "up against it" !

My simple set up shoots 12 volts to a solenoid if I touch the brake in 4th gear. I am instantly in full 1 to 1 lock up when I hit 4th gear. And its like having 5th gear, and it will stay locked as long as I'm in 4th or while in 4th touch the brake pedal very slightly. Then its in 4th but un locked and it runs about 400 rpm higher the instant I touch the brake. As long as I stay on the gas, its un locked. The minute I ease off enough, it locks again. Is that shit cool or what? lol

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
I like the new stance better. Looks a lot nicer with the rear higher.

Lash, the red tint is strange to look through, and takes some real getting used to! I have it on my Austin, and love the look, but it still is strange each time I climb in. It makes other cars look all sorts of strange colors. Surprisingly, red cars seem to look pink through the tinted glass.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought I might not be able to live with the deep red tint for long but it turns out I like it. In fact I'm getting the full force of the red because I cant roll the windows down yet for a couple days till the tint sets I was told. It sure makes things bright inside, my wife's candy apple blue Fiesta looks like midnight blue thru the red tint. But it sure looks the part of a gasser and man has the car got a lot of attention!

You can tell that the older generation get it or at least a few, by the thumbs up from them while driving expensive cars and such. A lot of people honked at me on the 410 loop today, the first time I got to actually drive it like a real car and just go. Now I smell new paint and new steel inside the car from the engine and trans. 70 mph is only 2000 rpm in fourth with the converter locked. A little tap on the brake pedal and the rpms come up 400 or so and your running un locked till you coast or let way off the gas. Its a nice feature to put it in the sweet spot with a little with more throttle response, but not down shifting to third. One time only I stomped it in first from 10 mph on a side street, in short 10 inch wide deeply treaded new tires went up in smoke in an instant and hit the rev limiter where I set it at 5.800 rpm.

Even though it instantly went up in smoke the car ate up the entire length of the street in like three seconds but it felt very good. Under control and smooth tracked dead straight. And the thrust was strong even spinning. So no wheelie worries with these tires, and I don't want that right now any way. But its obvious as hell, slicks on back would have been breath taking!

I will try to get some one to take some video soon when the monsoons pass here from Mexico. lol...

·
Registered
647 Posts
Those gassers in Texas.......dammed juvenile delinquents!!!! Everytime I see that car it gets better.. Something just occurred to me.....you do need a video n hope u did not have to take out your boat in SA everything is OK.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
001 (6).jpg 002 (5).jpg 002.jpg Today turned out beautiful here. Sunny and cool. I worked my arms to death rubbing and scrubbing and polishing and painting my air cleaner and valve covers. Still haven't got my head lights working, don't know what happened. I replaced the dimmer switch, next the light switch.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Do you have a test meter, or simple 12v. test lamp so you can check to see if you have power at the dimmer, and out of the dimmer?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Wow. Today is a beautiful day, and I have been out running all over the place in what feel's like a brand new car, which it is. The 434 and 2004R completely transformed the car into a solid running dependable and most capable runner. I can easily go state to state now with out worry, or concern. And also with out stress, high rpms, and really bad gas mileage. I would easily say that I could be getting 14 mpg or so on the high way. Maybe more! Its only running 1000 rpm off idle which is also 1000 rpm @ 70 mph, and 2000 rpm is WAY DOWN the tach scale on the low side.

And the first three gears are spaced perfectly, third gear in drive really stretches on out even less than half way on the gas it barks the tires in second and third with authority, no little "chirp". But the sweet smell of "new" is everywhere! Inside the car, its like the good old days when you had a brand new car and it did not smell like plastic like new cars do today, no sir. They smelled like "NEW" New paint that was laid on thick and richly everywhere. And the smell of new steel and aluminum along with the smell of rubber and in some cases leather.

Short of the leather smell, I got the rest of it in spades. Went to Pep Boys this morning, for some polishing towels and nearly emptied the place for nearly an hour! The manager said I certainly disrupted business, with a smile as big as can be. He and most of the floor staff were either at the front windows looking or out side looking and taking pictures. I bet just at Pep Boys alone today the car got photographed over 100 times.

And you can imagine how terrible all that was for me! lol.... Here are a few pictures from today, and some video of it doing a walk around. I have a Go Pro mount I need to fix to my dash with out messing the paint up. I can maybe get some in car video with that. Honestly, I want to see some video of the car just going down the road 70 or 80 and hear it go by.

Gary.

Walk around video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1fdCx8Mhns

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have a test meter, or simple 12v. test lamp so you can check to see if you have power at the dimmer, and out of the dimmer?
Hey Vall. I found that at the shop they didn't hook up the ground wire that had been bolted to one of the radiator bolts. They had the radiator out, and forgot to put the wires back. Got lights..

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
After all that you better go change them tighty whities I am sure they are stained................LOL

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Cool! Glad the lights were an easy fix! I use my rollbar to mount a camera. It saves drilling any extra holes, and you can use the driver's side vertical tube to sort of look over your shoulder with the GoPro. A hose clamp and some inner tube under the clamp to keep from scratching up the paint.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The stance on your Nova looks great. You should be very proud of this car. Sure would look nice with some D.O.T. Firestone slicks.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts