Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
been awhile since I have done anything with the truck but am gettin off my a** and doing some. Got the axle tacked in and think I may have to raise my front mounts up to lower it some. Will have to add some weight to see first.
What ya'all think so far? Was going to try to move the axle forward 3" but took advise given and put the front end on first to see. Only move it forward 1 1/2 " ...
Going with tie rod in rear and drag link in front. 1979 GMC 026.jpg 1979 GMC 024.jpg 1979 GMC 028.jpg 1979 GMC 027.jpg 1979 GMC 023.jpg

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
Try to keep the drag link on the opposite side of the shackles. If it's on the same side it can try to push the shackles side to side as you steer. Jeep Cherokees ran into trouble with this when the engineers did the same thing, and had to recall them for mushy feeling steering. They moved the shackles to the opposite side as the drag link, and cured the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Nice! I like the Stephen King reference. Agree about the weight on it first. Going thru that with mine as we speak. You can always remove a leaf to get it to come down a bit. Looks like a Speedway kit? That's what I did on mine when I first had it setup - just removed the smallest spring and it made a difference. I have since chaned everything so I get to do that again too.

I would have done this to my truck in high school of I could have. Graduated in '79.

Good tech, Vall. Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Vall, I will move the shackles to the other side. don't I wish it was a Speedway kit.... lol Thought I would save some money by not buying a Speedway kit...if I only knew then what I know now....The next one will be a Speedway kit for sure. I have fabed most of the parts my self,( perches, backing plate arm, spring mounts etc... ) it's been a lot of work, but fun at the same time. And like the suicide doors I put on this a GREAT learning experience.
I am very grateful to all input on this project.

Thanks all

Jim

·
Administrator
13,427 Posts
I have one of each; Speedway kit, and donor axle. I like both for various reasons. I used a Speedway kit on my Austin because I was concerned about chopping down a I beam axle to fit under the car. In hindsight I wish I'd gone ahead and cut one down and had a pro weld it back together. Nothing wrong with the Speedway kit, as they sure save some work, but at $880 shipped, vs. the $120 I gave for my Econoline axle, I'd much rather do a lot of work and save the money for other areas of the build. Plus I really love the looks of a drop I beam with holes drilled in it, vs. a round tube.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts