Gasser HotRod Forums banner
3081 - 3100 of 3118 Posts

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,082 ·
Decided to put the MG up on stands to check my trans leak. Seems the Speedo reducer box is leaking. And the shift selector seal is weeping also. I took the speedo assembly down and took it apart to reseal and added O rings to both connections. Looked on YouTube to see how most fix the shaft seal. Looked pretty easy with the $15 tool. So I ordered it on Amazon for another time. Dropped the car went for a ride and the speedo didn’t work. Now I’m pissed after doing all that careful assembly and sealing. Came home put the car away for another round on Monday night after work.
put the car back up again. Took all down again and it was dry as a bone. So happy it didn’t leak. But when I put the drill on the cable end I got nothing on the speedo. It had me scratching my head. I reach under the dash and found the cable disconnected from the speedo. Crazy coincidence. Got a few threads started and while it was up I put it down n drive and it worked now.
shaft seal tool came in but I was so happy the speedo worked I moved it to another night. To be Continued.

·
Administrator
13,765 Posts
Decided to put the MG up on stands to check my trans leak. Seems the Speedo reducer box is leaking. And the shift selector seal is weeping also. I took the speedo assembly down and took it apart to reseal and added O rings to both connections. Looked on YouTube to see how most fix the shaft seal. Looked pretty easy with the $15 tool. So I ordered it on Amazon for another time. Dropped the car went for a ride and the speedo didn’t work. Now I’m pissed after doing all that careful assembly and sealing. Came home put the car away for another round on Monday night after work.
put the car back up again. Took all down again and it was dry as a bone. So happy it didn’t leak. But when I put the drill on the cable end I got nothing on the speedo. It had me scratching my head. I reach under the dash and found the cable disconnected from the speedo. Crazy coincidence. Got a few threads started and while it was up I put it down n drive and it worked now.
shaft seal tool came in but I was so happy the speedo worked I moved it to another night. To be Continued.
Glad it was an easy fix Mario! Always crazy when another issue pops up while you're fixing some other part.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,085 ·
Hey Mario I got a race for you!! Midget vs. Sprite.

Let me at him Steve. Let me at him. I got traction control too. It’s called Mike my son in the passenger seat. Hooks up great with him in the car. Lol
Cool find. I watched half at work. I’ll watch the rest later.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Let me at him Steve. Let me at him. I got traction control too. It’s called Mike my son in the passenger seat. Hooks up great with him in the car. Lol
Cool find. I watched half at work. I’ll watch the rest later.
I'm tellin' ya, the Italian Stallion is an ANIMAL, an ANIMAL I say!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,092 ·
Last week at the cars and coffee the MG was smoking a bit again. It was a bit embarrassing as I left the show, especially after having a for sale sign on it. So this week I ordered oil seals. I was assuming the O rings were just NG after seeing my buddy pulling them out of an old box. I was thinking they were getting too hard to seal the valves. So I ordered a set from Amazon. This morning I pulled two spark plugs and they were wet with what looked like and smelled like gas. There wasn’t any sign of oil burning and crusting. I looked at the note on primary carb and it said 2.5 for the power valve. So I thought it might have gone bad somehow. I took the bowl and metering valve down and the valve was wet on the diaphragm side. I have to assume it was either leaking or open during idle. It smoked at an idle so I’m going for the power valve plug. I started the motor and it burned off what fuel was left sending a little blue smoke and then it ended. I will take a ride tonight to the cruise night and see what happens. Worst case scenario I will replace the valve seals anyway. But at another time in the fall.
Wood Gas Automotive tire Auto part Close-up

Luggage and bags Bag Gas Wood Machine

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,095 ·
If you ever need any Holley bowl, metering block, or other gaskets, let me know Mario! I've got enough to supply the whole forum for life!
Hahaha thanks Vall. I’ll try to remember that.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,096 ·
If you ever need any Holley bowl, metering block, or other gaskets, let me know Mario! I've got enough to supply the whole forum for life!
Just curious are they the blue reuseables?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,097 ·
Made it to the cruise night and didn’t see any unusual smoking at idle which is good news. Somebody looked at my car and was star struck. He took my number and said he wants to buy it. I asked for 19k and he said ok and left. I wish i had a nickel for every “how much it weighs question”. Was a good car for sale night but only one phone number taker.

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,100 ·
So what's next if you sell the MG? Maybe buying a Willys? :)
Don’t I wish. I’d like to work up the Hilborn motor for the coupe Without using our monthly income and selling the MG so let’s see what happens.

3081 - 3100 of 3118 Posts