Gasser HotRod Forums banner
3061 - 3078 of 3078 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I bought this balancer about 2 years ago in hopes that the hub Wheel unit was working ok. I have been dying to try this on the MG wheels because I installed them myself and I wanted to balance them on the Hunter unit. Well last night I finally got a chance to try it out. The wheel spinner barely reached the tire and I had a hard time keeping it up against the tire. After all was said and done it showed zero weight needed. I had my doubts so I spun it again and move the weight to so see if it moved up the scale and it did. When it did it started vibrating out of balance. So either the wheels are needing zero weight on both sides or the hub ain't worth spit.
sorry to bore you with the long video but I hadn't used it since 76-77 and it was live footage of me trying to use it again.

At work I have had numerous times new tires not needing any weight.. and like you I added weight spun it again to see if it needed weight, which it did.. so trust your equipment.. lol

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,062 ·
I pulled the pedal assembly and measured center to relocate the pedal for the new master. I had to remove the clutch pedal to center the brake pedal and find some spacers in my drawer of tricks. I cut a spacer down to the width I needed and test fit it in the bracket. Looked good. Now I have to find a piece of plate to mount the new master. I found a piece of 1/8 “ plate and I was thinking sandwiched together with existing it should be thick enough to support the master. I drew up a template to the sizes of the back of the master housing and bolt holes. Transferred it to the plate I found. Started sizing up the plate to the bracket and had to cut away some of the old mounting area to allow my new master to go through. After I looked at the Swiss cheese left behind to mount my plate I knew I had to go with 3/16 plate instead. The first one came out so nice and now I have to do it all over again. After it was done I mounted it to the pedal bracket and tacked it in. Looked good and master lined up fine. I did the final weld and sprayed it flat black. Tomorrow I will bolt in the brake pedal and spacers and install the hole pedal assembly again. I did go to my local auto parts to find inverted flare adapters so I won’t have to cut my lines and reflare again. I found both sizes.
Musical instrument Guitar accessory Wood String instrument accessory Guitar
Automotive tire Wood Auto part Gas Automotive wheel system
Bumper Wood Machine tool Automotive wheel system Automotive tire
Automotive tire Gas Cylinder Rim Machine tool

Automotive tire Bandsaws Drilling Machine tool Gas
Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bumper Automotive exterior Wood
Gas Engineering Automotive tire Auto part Motor vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Triangle Automotive exterior

Luggage and bags Wood Automotive design Triangle Engineering

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,064 ·
Well from this photo guess what I forgot to do
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,067 ·
You don't need no stink'in pushrod hole.........lol
Oh come on Lash. Give a little more credit than that. One more shot At it. And also see what I’m wearing out in the garage. Love my Clay Smith
Automotive exterior Tool Gas Machine Auto part

Chin Smile Cap Textile Happy

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,068 ·
Now I thought that you were doing some sort of fancy smancy bent brake rod; oh well........................
No…….. fortunately it still works well as is.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,069 ·
Well here is the story untold. Made some great welds and everything lined up great. Looked real pretty. Painted it let it dry overnight. I mounted everything and bleed the master on the bench with brake line fittings. I couldn’t find the plastic bleeder kit that used to come with the masters years ago.
installed it on the car and @#$*”.,;/@#$&. The master was angled too high and the back reservoir was just covered with fluid and when I cracked the fitting it sucked air right away. Stupid stupid stupid. I forgot to check the angle of the new plate I installed. I took for granted both mounted the same and mounted it flush . Did I say stupid? So need I say more? All day again cutting off what I did and test fitting the master till it was level at the fluid. I had to add a piece of stock at the top to angle down the master and re-weld everything. Of course now with all the melted paint and hard to clean corners the welds were sucky but will hold. Enough all around to be sure. Painted it let I partially dry cause I’ve had enough today. Mounted it on the car, bolted it down, reached in the car, hit the pedal and holy crap! It hit with one pump and stayed just over half way down. Nice pedal. Not soft. It’s a bit cold out so I’m gonna run out tomorrow for a test run. I fell real good about this. I never checked the back adjustment cause I ran out of time but I want to feel the brakes before I touch anything else.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Gas Bumper

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Trunk

Bumper Electronic instrument Hood Audio equipment Gas

Gas Machine Auto part Automotive exterior Metal

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,071 · (Edited)
Well it actually started snowing this morning. A bad day for a convertible test drive. But it probably won’t be for long and temps should melt it right away.

update: it actually stopped and it’s cold and damp.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,073 ·
Well I took the MG out for a buzz around town. People were staring at me with the top down. No rain or any moisture on the road So I put the heater on and away I went. Did a couple of test hits and the brakes bite fantastic compared to before. Wow it’s like driving a different car. I think if I tighten the back brakes it might get even better. Love it. It was worth all the aggravation. Thanks to all who responded.

Reactions: 1946Austin

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Great news Mario!! I'm sure it was due in no small part because of the new master with that ginormous, volume pushing piston, LOL!!! :p I'll be interested to hear if adjusting the rear brakes (depending on how far out they are) helps even more.
I'm on the way to IN N OUT to take Lashs' advice and "put that on my IN N OUT burger and eat it. :cool:

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Glad it worked out...but the only way this could have been the result is you have GM 3" bore calipers and not the 2.50 malibu calipers ...you did not have enough volume to begin with...are the rotors 11" ?

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,076 · (Edited)
Glad it worked out...but the only way this could have been the result is you have GM 3" bore calipers and not the 2.50 malibu calipers ...you did not have enough volume to begin with...are the rotors 11" ?
Lash if a 75 Camaro has 11” rotors with a 3” caliper then that’s what I have. I never measured it. I will see if I can do it from outside the cragar Eyeball it. I was under the impression that Malibu and Camaro had the same disc pads so the master, rotors, and calipers might be the same. All I know is the 1st hit grabs and the second hit is identical meaning I don’t have a climbing pedal as I pump. I never mentioned this problem cause I was not sure when or how I would be able to fix it. I couldn’t enjoy the car driving it. Now it’s a whole new ballgame. Now just my legs fall asleep numb and the rest is a pleasure. Lol

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,077 ·
Maybe my test drive in the cold with the top down wasn’t so crazy. Saw this on Facebook. Lol
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Snow Tire

3061 - 3078 of 3078 Posts