Gasser HotRod Forums banner
3041 - 3060 of 3078 Posts

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,041 ·
I need to start reading entire build thread and look at dates of post, I didn't realize this build was running driving already, didn't want to say done because they are never done.. lol but love this build.
not a problem. I appreciate the compliment. Thanks for Posting

Reactions: Morris Munster

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,042 ·
What a deal on Facebook marketplace. I am picking up this Holley 1850 For 20 bucks. Don’t have the heart to bargain him down On this deal. I figured it’s worth it even if it ends up as a parts carb. But supposedly it was running before it came off. I’m cornering the market on 1850’s on the east coast. Lol
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Gas

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,044 ·
It’s an 1850 600cfm vacuum secondaries. Yours is a lot nicer shape. But 20 bucks is a shoe in. I got it just now. Looks fine. Nothing missing.

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
I just got one too Mario! I'm helping a younger guy get his '78 Nova back on the road after sitting for 12 yrs. and we put a new Holley Avenger 570 cfm carb on it. So he asked if I wanted the old 1850, and of course I did. Not sure what I'll do with it as I have two new 1850's sitting in their original boxes in my storage. But hated to see it tossed in the scrap bin!

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,046 ·
I just got one too Mario! I'm helping a younger guy get his '78 Nova back on the road after sitting for 12 yrs. and we put a new Holley Avenger 570 cfm carb on it. So he asked if I wanted the old 1850, and of course I did. Not sure what I'll do with it as I have two new 1850's sitting in their original boxes in my storage. But hated to see it tossed in the scrap bin!
Gotta love it. Never too many tunnel ram carbs Laying around. I have also a shiny one that I paid 25 bucks for almost 2 yrs ago. Still haven’t come across a match for that. I would like to rebuild and swap instead of tying up the car with downtime. I probably am the only one left on Long Island with the real carb acid bath to soak the carbs in. Usually overnight.

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
Gotta love it. Never too many tunnel ram carbs Laying around. I have also a shiny one that I paid 25 bucks for almost 2 yrs ago. Still haven’t come across a match for that. I would like to rebuild and swap instead of tying up the car with downtime.
Holley has some real bargains on their Ebay stores site Mario. I got my 650 cfm Quick fuel there for $200. And I found the 570 cfm Avenger series carb there for $279. It's one of the high polish carbs, with sight glass windows, dual feed, 4 corner metering, and external float adjustment. I think it normally sells for double that price?

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,048 ·
Sounds good Vall. I’m a diehard old carb guy. :)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
It appears that we now have 3 hoarders on our roster. Lash with his axle collection, me with my front runners and now Mario with it seems a carb fetish, LOL.........................

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,050 ·
Gotta call a spade a spade! Lol

·
Registered
125 Posts
It’s an 1850 600cfm vacuum secondaries. Yours is a lot nicer shape. But 20 bucks is a shoe in. I got it just now. Looks fine. Nothing missing.
It was given to me and I want to use it on my son's 1993 S10 square body V8 project. Can they be converted to dual metering blocks? Do you think it is an ok carb for a street truck, maybe a little bracket racing?

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,052 ·
Are you running a small block or big block? 600 is too small for a big block. You mentioned some bracket racing. The 1850 is a great tunnel ram team but as a single carb on a small block I would say it’s a mild street driver. I feel it wouldn’t be good for racing as a single carb. It’s just my humble opinion and what I experienced in the past. You would be better off with a 650 or 700 cfm double pumper Especially in a light truck.

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
It was given to me and I want to use it on my son's 1993 S10 square body V8 project. Can they be converted to dual metering blocks? Do you think it is an ok carb for a street truck, maybe a little bracket racing?
By the time you got everything needed to convert it, I think you wont save any money, and gain very little by having the secondary metering block. I'd simply take a look at Holley's Ebay Store, and find what you want there. They have some huge bargains on factory return carbs that have been thoroughly rechecked, and have a new carb warranty also. I bought my Quick Fuel 650 cfm dual feed, double pumper, 4 corner metering, for $200 shipped there. And just bought a 570 cfm Avenger series (same as my QF) for a friend's '78 Nova 305, for $279 there.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Are you running a small block or big block? 600 is too small for a big block. You mentioned some bracket racing. The 1850 is a great tunnel ram team but as a single carb on a small block I would say it’s a mild street driver. I feel it wouldn’t be good for racing as a single carb. It’s just my humble opinion and what I experienced in the past. You would be better off with a 650 or 700 cfm double pumper Especially in a light truck.
Yes it's for my son's SBC 355cid.. I'll keep it for a future tunnel ram project and find him a Holley double pumper. I had a Carter 600 AFB vacuum secondaries that worked pretty well bracket racing and thought maybe they were similar in performance.. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
125 Posts
By the time you got everything needed to convert it, I think you wont save any money, and gain very little by having the secondary metering block. I'd simply take a look at Holley's Ebay Store, and find what you want there. They have some huge bargains on factory return carbs that have been thoroughly rechecked, and have a new carb warranty also. I bought my Quick Fuel 650 cfm dual feed, double pumper, 4 corner metering, for $200 shipped there. And just bought a 570 cfm Avenger series (same as my QF) for a friend's '78 Nova 305, for $279 there.
Thanks for the info I'll definitely check it out.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,056 · (Edited)
Yawn...play it again sam..lol...having a senior moment behind the wheel... as well as not driving like a senior...now that is a Biden moment
Ok Lash I finally got some video today. Things you gotta do around here to please you guys........By the way I think I got the carbs dialed in pretty good now.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,057 ·
I bought this balancer about 2 years ago in hopes that the hub Wheel unit was working ok. I have been dying to try this on the MG wheels because I installed them myself and I wanted to balance them on the Hunter unit. Well last night I finally got a chance to try it out. The wheel spinner barely reached the tire and I had a hard time keeping it up against the tire. After all was said and done it showed zero weight needed. I had my doubts so I spun it again and move the weight to so see if it moved up the scale and it did. When it did it started vibrating out of balance. So either the wheels are needing zero weight on both sides or the hub ain't worth spit.
sorry to bore you with the long video but I hadn't used it since 76-77 and it was live footage of me trying to use it again.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,060 ·
Lucky you to get a wheel and tire that doesn't need weight! I had it happen once with a single rear tire and wheel, and the opposite side took 3 oz. of weight.
Makes me wonder if the hub is not working right. I did open and look at the mechanism. All looked like it was working ok. The car doesn’t vibrate upfront so at this point I will say it works.

Reactions: 1946Austin
3041 - 3060 of 3078 Posts