Gasser HotRod Forums banner
3021 - 3040 of 3078 Posts

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,021 ·
I’m starting to think something is not right with my cam or just lifters. I noticed a lack of pull on the top end which should never be with this power to weight ratio. It’s idling like a rock and rollover but when I rev it slowly the rock and roll keeps happening instead of smoothing out. I have been messing with the jetting and power valves so maybe I caused my own problems. One thing I can’t get out of my head is when I removed my valve cover a month or so ago I noticed the rockers were all in the same position down the line till I cranked it over to get the valve open position to adjust the next rocker. Then it was noticeably showing the lift on the cam. But correct me if I’m wrong. I don’t think lifters are supposed to bleed down so easily. Looking for some input. Been a while. I feel like a rookie again.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
If it were me I'd go back to square one with the carbs the way they were before you changed the jets and power valves. If that fixes the issue then you know that's the problem, if not then I'd start checking the other things like the possibility of ignition problems among others. At least it doesn't sound as though you have a cam going flat because you didn't mention any major valve clatter or really loose rockers when you had the valve covers off.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,023 ·
Yeah Steve that is what’s puzzling me. The lifters were used. Matched to the lobes they wore in on. But the rockers should never look the same position in a row unless the lifters are bleeding down. Which would also give me the same issue with no top end power. No valve train noise at all.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,024 ·
I called my guru Gary Fontana and after discussing what I saw under the valve covers last month, mainly all the lifters bled down and realeased the plungers relaxing the rockers to make them look straight in a row, I’m going to pull a valve cover and if I see the same thing again I’m going to pull the intake and change the lifters.

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
Yeah Steve that is what’s puzzling me. The lifters were used. Matched to the lobes they wore in on. But the rockers should never look the same position in a row unless the lifters are bleeding down. Which would also give me the same issue with no top end power. No valve train noise at all.
Hate to say this, but usually you only get bleed down on lifters if the lifters internal spring is weak, or if the lifter bore is worn enough to allow them to bleed down.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,026 ·
So I pull the valve covers and drivers side looks like this from resting a few days. You can see in the picture that one or two rockers are off zero.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Electrical wiring

so I go to the passenger side and this is what I see again. Hardly any lifter action. So I’m suspicious about my lifters for sure.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Car Automotive exterior

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,027 ·
Before I target the lifters I want to be sure of my adjustments. Gary gave me another adjustment method I never heard of. TDC and adjust #1, 1/4 turn and adjust #8, 1/4 turn adjust #4 and so on. I’ll be switched it worked. So I’m sure of my rocker adjustment but she’s still running bad. It runs like it’s misfiring on one cylinder but feels hidden when revving the engine. Notice how when I crank the motor over the rockers move fine all across the board. So I might be on a goose chase with the lifters. not a lot of time on the cam and lifters. So I maybe wrong about how they relax.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,028 ·
I took a compression test to be sure I don’t have a valve or ring problem. Took all afternoon. All the cylinders were 140lbs. I wanted to swap the E3 plugs for AC’s but it was too late In the afternoon. Stores were closing and the ones that were open didn’t carry 70’s small block plugs. I looked through my cabinet and I found a set of autolites #85. I put them in start it up and same thing. Now I’m spraying brake Kleen all around the carbs and intake to check for vacuum leaks and nothing. I lean over the carb and I notice the secondaries needle and seat are bleeding down while it’s idling. I tried adjusting but no dice. So I pulled off the bowl and went into my carb parts and found a new needle and seat. The one I had didn’t come with the round gaskets for the screw Adjuster so I pulled out my gasket stuff. Found one paper and one plastic seal for the screw. adjusted the float level and gas dripping all over. Got it to the sight plug and sealed it all up. Sprayed cleaner all around the gas drippings and blew it off with the air hose.
held my breath and turned the key. It started and ran better and better to now I’m satisfied. I can feel the rev is clean again. Bummer that we have rain for the next 3 days. I won’t be test driving but I know for certain she’s back to form again.
Steve, you were close when you said go back to the carbs again. Well I’m good with all the testing so I’m confident there isn‘t any mechanical issues. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: 1946Austin

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,029 · (Edited)
The other day I had the camera rolling when the motor was running bad. You can see why the top end wasn’t right cause it was wetting the plugs. Creating all sorts of havoc.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Glad that my suggestion helped and you were able to sort it out Mario. I'm guilty of the same thing. Something goes wrong and all these different horrible scenarios start going through my head. One thing I've learned is before I start looking for a major mechanical problem check the basics first and it's amazing how often you'll find the problem.
From what you first described I couldn't believe that one whole side of lifters went bad. Now, get out there, do some tire shredding burnouts (on video) when it's dry and post them for us :LOL:

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,032 ·

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,033 ·
Made it out this afternoon With the MG. I ran down to the known safe area to trounce the peddle as a test Since I fixed the carb 2 weeks Ago. I waited patiently to take the ride as it really got pretty chilly this past week. Unfortunately I forgot my GoPro camera. But anyway I gave it a hit from a dead stop. I was so impressed with the carb results after removing the front carb power valve I’m going back soon With the camera. 1st-2nd and started sideways. Let off and hit it again in 2nd and burned the tire again and then fear just struck me as I accelerated. So I think she’s running pretty good. Lol

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,034 · (Edited)
We had a heat wave today. When I got home at dusk it was nice enough to run out to the known area to give a quick video. I turned the camera on and I feel like a total idiot. Somehow it was on time lapse and not video. I had no idea so I turned on the camera and waited for some cars to pass and i gave it a whack of the gas pedal. Well she lit up on a roll and hooked a hard left so I had to get out of it again and whacked it when I was straight again and let off. I couldn't wait to see the video and I got nothin. These stupid pics are all I got. At least one of them shows me out of whack hooking a left turn. picture 80 thru 83 shows it swinging around.

Automotive side-view mirror Sky Cloud Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Automotive side-view mirror Sky Automotive lighting Automotive tire Car
Automotive side-view mirror Car Sky Automotive lighting Vehicle
Car Sky Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle
Automotive side-view mirror Car Mirror Sky Automotive lighting
Automotive side-view mirror Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Car Sky

·
Administrator
13,700 Posts
Hate when that crap happens! Can't tell you how many times I've done the same, or the reverse! I've gone to take still images, and when I went to look at them it was a video too! Anymore I view them right after taking them so I know what I did and can do it over right away.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3,039 ·
I’m gonna try one more time.

Reactions: Morris Munster
3021 - 3040 of 3078 Posts