Gasser HotRod Forums banner
2981 - 2997 of 2997 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,981 ·
Well I finally got the seats back in. Was a major fight. Bolt line ups with the holes. Just real messy. Couldn’t see how much it was off unless I removed the cushions. Holes were existing and went through vertical 2x4 steel tube. What a pain. While the exhaust was down I tackled the speedo cable leak and changed the gear to get it closer to reality. Kick panels will be next soon enough.
just have to top it off with fluid tonight, wash the car and get it inspected this week. I’ll be back on the road again.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Looks fantastic Mario! So you have to get it re-inspected every time you renew the license plates? Can this be avoided by licensing it as a collector car?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,983 ·
Looks fantastic Mario! So you have to get it re-inspected every time you renew the license plates? Can this be avoided by licensing it as a collector car?
Thanks very much Vall. I have to inspect every year. Real money grab. Thieves they are. It’s only a safety and 10$ but still unnecessary.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Looks great! I wish I could do upholstery. Same here is Missouri. Only 3 counties have inspections and 2 are in St. Louis and one in KC. Talk about a money grab. I said to hell with them and titled and licesnsed in Minnesota.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Looks great! I wish I could do upholstery. Same here is Missouri. Only 3 counties have inspections and 2 are in St. Louis and one in KC. Talk about a money grab. I said to hell with them and titled and licensed in Minnesota.
Dave, with the accessibility to, and price of pre sewn upholstery material, it makes doing our own upholstery work a lot easier. At least as far as doing all the side panels, and trunk divider. So just picking up a decent pair of bucket seats, and you can cover all the side panels yourself. I think I had less than $100 in all my material to do my car. Add in the $30 for a pair of nice buckets, and it's a cheap option, that looks good when you're done.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Dave, with the accessibility to, and price of pre sewn upholstery material, it makes doing our own upholstery work a lot easier. At least as far as doing all the side panels, and trunk divider. So just picking up a decent pair of bucket seats, and you can cover all the side panels yourself. I think I had less than $100 in all my material to do my car. Add in the $30 for a pair of nice buckets, and it's a cheap option, that looks good when you're done.
What I need done are the seat. I want to use that sparkly metal flake vinyl from the 50's and 60's. I found a great place that sells it.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,989 ·
thanks so much for everyone’s support. Vall gets the credit for pushing me out of the nest. His tenacity made me willing to take the plunge.

Well I got my inspection done on Friday right after work. Now I’m free to drive at will. On the way home the long way to stretch the legs a bit I had a cop behind me and he then passed me on the left as I behaved and then he went back to the precinct to end his shift so I passed the visual pullover test. Lol

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
thanks so much for everyone’s support. Vall gets the credit for pushing me out of the nest. His tenacity made me willing to take the plunge.

Well I got my inspection done on Friday right after work. Now I’m free to drive at will. On the way home the long way to stretch the legs a bit I had a cop behind me and he then passed me on the left as I behaved and then he went back to the precinct to end his shift so I passed the visual pullover test. Lol
You mean he didn't even give you a thumbs up Mario? Around here I get more smiles, and thumbs up from cops than I do from others.
Glad all went well on the inspection! The credit for your great work belongs to you! Glad I could have a little inspiration though!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,991 ·
You mean he didn't even give you a thumbs up Mario? Around here I get more smiles, and thumbs up from cops than I do from others.
Glad all went well on the inspection! The credit for your great work belongs to you! Glad I could have a little inspiration though!
Well I couldn’t really see him or her Because the vehicle was a Ford Explorer and the Mg has me way down low. They did have their window half open on the passenger side when they passed me. Who knows.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,992 ·
Went for a long ride today. Went to see my buddy and guru Garry Fontana. I haven’t seen him in a year and a half Due to COVID. What a great visit we had together. He walked all around the MG. Kept complimenting my work. What a good friend. He looked over the engine compartment and steering. He kept shaking his head saying you did all this yourself? all I could say was thank you.
when I got home I tried adjusting the primary carb mixture screws and when I tightened them all the way in the engine wouldn’t stall out so I predicted I was 2 jet sizes too high. I pulled the bowl off with the metering block and went from 74 to 72 and then checked the Power valve. I sucked on the front and it didn’t close. I took a new one and sucked on the front side and it closed right away. So I had two issues. Once it started and idled I ran the mixture in and it stalled out. Just like it should. Feels and runs better. Haven’t driven it yet but I will get it out Friday For a road test.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I need to do the same on my Quick Fuel 650 DP on my '39. Still haven't had the bowls off to see where it's jetted or what power valves are in it, and it idles rich.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,994 ·
I made it to the beach Yesterday which is a fun ride with the top down Over the 2 bridges. I ordered a new SW 3” Speedo because the odometer stopped 2 yrs ago at 20 miles. They would have fixed it for me 2 years ago If I would have sent it back then. I just didn’t want to rip that dash apart again after getting all of it back together. I just wanted to drive the car at that point. Amazon got me a new one from Speedway Because my local speed shop wanted to sell me an AutoMeter gauge. Not happening.
anyway I put 35 miles on it and so far so good. Great to have it working. My speedo is running faster than what I’m doing in speed. I’m already at the biggest 43 tooth I can put on My current speedo housing. ebay hunting a we will go.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Both of my car's speedos are off. The Austin about 10% off, so easy to live with. The '39 is way off, and I'm doing 90 mph on the speedo at around 70 mph real speed! I sometimes just plug my Garmin GPS in the car if I'm going far and watch the MPH on it instead.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,996 ·
Both of my car's speedos are off. The Austin about 10% off, so easy to live with. The '39 is way off, and I'm doing 90 mph on the speedo at around 70 mph real speed! I sometimes just plug my Garmin GPS in the car if I'm going far and watch the MPH on it instead.
Take a look at the speedo housing. There should be numbers on like 40 thru 44 or 35 thru 39. On ebay or Amazon you can order the right housing to get you closer to the mph you need. 350 and 700 use the same housings And gears. I just ordered gears from Amazon to get it closer. Just remember the more teeth the slower the mph. You can order just the driven gear or a kit with the housing. kit can have all the gears for that housing or just one gear.
example:

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Take a look at the speedo housing. There should be numbers on like 40 thru 44 or 35 thru 39. On ebay or Amazon you can order the right housing to get you closer to the mph you need. 350 and 700 use the same housings And gears. I just ordered gears from Amazon to get it closer. Just remember the more teeth the slower the mph. You can order just the driven gear or a kit with the housing. kit can have all the gears for that housing or just one gear.
example:
Have to take a look. Maybe a winter project for the '39 when I'm bored and need something to do!

2981 - 2997 of 2997 Posts