Gasser HotRod Forums banner
2941 - 2960 of 2997 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,941 ·
This is what it looks like with just the bottom cushion and bracket.

if I use the plywood back I can put a thin foam and the diamond material stapled to it.
but it’s all a plan until I get in and it’s tight again. With the original plate angle side by side you can see the angle difference which will give me a bit more room at the steering wheel. Also minus the 3” foam cushion pushing me into the steering wheel.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Mario I was thinking put the plywood on the back side of the plate???...if there is room..if not cut the ply back at the interference point and put behind the bracket so you can have some padding at the shoulders..I am a skinny dude I know I would barely fit in the cockpit

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,943 ·
Mario I was thinking put the plywood on the back side of the plate???...if there is room..if not cut the ply back at the interference point and put behind the bracket so you can have some padding at the shoulders..I am a skinny dude I know I would barely fit in the cockpit
Yes I see another inch with the plywood behind. I’m gonna try it again tonight. The steel plate is already up against the wall at the back. I have to see if the plywood will clear the lower box area or I may have to notch the plywood.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,944 ·
I checked the seat brackets in the car and the plywood has to stay on the front side of the 1/8” plate. Thanks for the suggestion Lash. I was able to mount the plate to the seat bracket on the floor As it was in place already. I only had to drill some holes for the bolts to go through both To mount the floor and now I can bolt the base cushion in place Too. We had an amazing day today so after welding the plates together I went outside to paint them. My Miller welding helmet stopped working today. Really bad timing as usual. I swapped batteries even though the old were still good. Got it working somehow.
then it went down again. After I changed the sensitivity got it working again. I have no clue what’s going on but I thing the board is shot because the on button isn’t working. Anyway I saved 150$ today. I was about to run to HF and buy the Vulcan helmet. Last thing I did today was mount the foam on the one plywood back rest. It’s a quarter of the thickness I had on the original cushion.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,945 ·
I have some posting to do. I took the pebble diamond and wrapped the base cushion on both seats. Basically just stapled the bottom to the plywood. These bases will be down in the car so visually if they aren’t identical I doubt anyone would notice. I did then move on to the backs.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,946 ·
I wrapped the front of the backrest and stapled the back side of the plywood. I then cut out the vinyl to the shape of the back rest. I wrapped the vinyl next and after I bolted the back rest to the seat bracket and I screwed the vinyl to the back rest to cover the bracket and the stapled front material. Sort of a cover for the cover. Then came the upholstery screws because it had some space Between I didn’t like. Anyway it looks ok to me. Now are they functional. Only tomorrow will tell.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,948 ·

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Wow nice work...can not wait to get the final report on how they work out........

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,950 ·
Wow nice work...can not wait to get the final report on how they work out........
Well I’ll be a monkey‘s uncle. Can I say that ? The seats are giving me more room and I can exit out the door with one leg if I lean to the right a little Like I’m passing gas, we’ll why not? It is a gasser. I even have more room for the lap belt harness buckle now because I’m lower in the Car under the steering wheel. This is big. Now I don’t have to climb out of the racing bucket while holding the windshield. Which is crazy. I can’t bolt them in yet because of the lap belts at the back and the carpet along with some interior work on the side panels front and back. Wow I am stoked. Only thing better than this is if a hemi dropped outta the sky and into my lap. Lol.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Awesome...a whole new driving experience.........lol...hemi in the lap...oh man the pain...before you get Hemi envy you might want to look at prices for parts and speed stuff $$$$$... it is only an image...and it really does need a blower too fulfill that image...monkey's uncle..you can not say that you are Italian........lol

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,953 ·
Nicely done Mario! Hope they feel as good as they look!
They do feel pretty good Vall. They angle back slightly and if you push back they lean against the back stop for firm positioning. When I’m getting out I can grab on the roll bar cross bar to get out now too.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,954 ·
Awesome...a whole new driving experience.........lol...hemi in the lap...oh man the pain...before you get Hemi envy you might want to look at prices for parts and speed stuff $$$$$... it is only an image...and it really does need a blower too fulfill that image...monkey's uncle..you can not say that you are Italian........lol
Yeah I hear ya. I went through that high price Oldsmobile performance stuff. I’m sure the hemi is even higher.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,955 ·
Oh by the way. I wanted to share this after all that discussion

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,956 ·
It’s been a while since I had the ole girl out and last week I took the MG outta storage so I can get going on finishing the interior and seats. I’m planning on installing a radio and speakers behind the seats under the roll bar on somewhat of a back deck shelf.
When I went to start the car in storage all I heard was click click click and so disappointed when I keep a battery tender running all the time it’s in storage. I put the ole reliable craftsman charger boost mode and still click click click just louder.
First thought maybe the terminals are not making good connection but that didn’t help anything at all. So I’m thinking battery went bad. Put the volt tester on and 10 Volts. So yep the battery was DOA.
It went bad 3 years to the week of free replacement warranty. I went to Pep boys and they were nice enough to give me an equivalent champion for the bad Bosch battery. So I’m back in business but still can’t drive it till I put the exhaust and seats back in.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,958 ·
So got started with laying down the insulation that Vall recommended to buy from home depot. How many years ago was that Vall? LOL. Thanks again.
Im not finished yet. I posted the barcode number if anyone wants to order the same stuff online.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Looks great Mario! That will make a big difference in both sound, and heat too! I doubled up on my firewalls to help a bit more with the heat from the engine and headers.

2941 - 2960 of 2997 Posts