Gasser HotRod Forums banner

2901 - 2920 of 2926 Posts

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,901 · (Edited)
I bought 2 new skins from Amazon rated for 130 mph and only 90 bucks tax and shipping, for the front of the MG and now that I have matching rims I can't wait to see them on the car. I drug out my tire machine which Im now making money every time I use it. It paid for itself already. Im about 90 bucks into the green on that purchase. So i put the tires on and the first one I had a genius idea to spray silicone on the bead so it don't rip in any way. Bad Idea!!!!!!. I couldn't get that tire to pop for nothing. Grant it the compressor only gets 130 lbs at peak and it don't last long so even the air blast on the tire machine really doesn't work very well with my air volume and pressure. i gave up and moved on to the next one. I left this one alone and wrestled a bit but it popped up eventually. PHHHHeeewwww man I was sweating and tired already. My kid pops his head in the garage and he joined my silicone tire popping event and no success. I took the tire off and wiped down the bead with brake clean to get rid of the silicone. We tried again and nothing. Just as I was about to give up I waited for the compressor to peak and i gave it the air blast and it popped for me. What a battle. I wish I had one of those bead expanders to not have to work so hard to get the tires up on the bead and rim. These tires were short and narrow so they didn't fit the bill for an easy mount like a big 60 series tire. But I won the battle and a good feeling when I shut the lights and locked up.

IMG_5699.jpg IMG_5698.jpg

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Nice

very nice Mario, can't wait to see the photos of them on the car. Next time you have trouble getting a bead to seat try a ratchet style cargo strap and some acetylene or brake cleaner https://youtu.be/3SMEps8DBec I've tried it and it works.

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
Beautiful Mario! Those will be great on the MG!

Ever try a ratchet strap tightened around the tread circumference? It will shrink the diameter, and force the beads out against the rim and you can then fill the air a little until you can release the strap.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,904 ·
very nice Mario, can't wait to see the photos of them on the car. Next time you have trouble getting a bead to seat try a ratchet style cargo strap and some acetylene or brake cleaner https://youtu.be/3SMEps8DBec I've tried it and it works.
I did try a cargo strap. It buckled the tire on one side and I couldn’t get it to seat no way no how. But thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,905 ·
Beautiful Mario! Those will be great on the MG!

Ever try a ratchet strap tightened around the tread circumference? It will shrink the diameter, and force the beads out against the rim and you can then fill the air a little until you can release the strap.
yeah I did try that. It buckled the tire out of round. But thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,906 ·
I think one of the problems besides silicone was the fact that the tire was on the widest rim designated. 4-6”. Small tires don’t give like larger tires do when you strap em.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,908 ·
Yeah I tried both the 1” and the 2”. I was really desperate to try anything.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,909 ·

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,911 ·
why up above I recommended acetylene or brake cleaner re: this video clip, https://youtu.be/3SMEps8DBec and as I mentioned I've done it and it works.
Oh I missed the link in the paragraph. I gotta be honest. Acetylene scares me as does the brake clean. One day I may try the acetylene because I like the torch handle keeping me away from the igniting the flame.

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
Not sure I'd be lighting brake cleaner as it's got bad chemicals when lit that can make you sick, or worse. I love brake clean and use it all the time, but never mixed with heat or flames.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I was

apprehensive the first time I tried it Mario. I was trying to get the beads of some M/T slicks to seat and couldn't. I got out my torch and not knowing how much to use started with some very short shots into the tire. I think it was about the 4th or 5th try that I got it right and just like in the video it popped and beaded, very slick; no pun intended.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,914 ·
apprehensive the first time I tried it Mario. I was trying to get the beads of some M/T slicks to seat and couldn't. I got out my torch and not knowing how much to use started with some very short shots into the tire. I think it was about the 4th or 5th try that I got it right and just like in the video it popped and beaded, very slick; no pun intended.
Pretty cool Steve. I have my old torch but it’s been sitting for about 16 years. I bet the hoses are shot.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,915 ·
Has anyone ever used propane instead of acetylene?

·
Registered
681 Posts
As someone who almost lit himself on fire using gas on a fire, I will not even try that. I would kill myself. LOL

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Hey Dave

I believe that's where the phrase "like throwing gas on a fire" came from. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,919 ·
I went to the local cruise night with my wife in my truck. I saw a sunbeam tiger there. Got me thinking about the MG seats. I really don't want to swap storage spots with the coupe right now after all the time I spent getting the interior done and fixing the throttle linkage.
Being I have some momentum on interior work, I thought I would start on the MG seats. I did the door panels already so I am needing to buy more of the 2x3 diamond for the seat cushions. I got these seat cushions from work on a company wide seat replacement warranty which we were supposed to discard the old seats. I saw the opportunity to bring them home and use them in the MG 4 years ago. I have 4 cushions of which I will try to use in the car giving me more room at the steering wheel. The fiberglass buckets not only don't sit you right in that car, but they also push you forward more than needed to drive that sardine can. Right now Im mapping out the template for the 1/8" steel plate and after thinking things out I'm going to keep it one piece with an 70* to 80* bend in the plate. My only obstacle is the bend. How am I going to bend the plate. I have a 40" sheet metal brake but that won't handle that thickness. The only thing I can think of is to score it with a cutting disc at the back and bend it finishing it with a final mig weld to close up the score again. It's not the easiest way but I don't know anyone who could bend that for me.
The plastic covers come off the cushions at the back and I can lay the material around the cushion and glue it with staples as well on the plywood backing. It should be presentable enough. I may just spray the 1/8" plate backing flat black or I may upholster it and have the bolts go through. I found a nice piece of 1/8" plate at the corner of the garage. Should be plenty enough for the 2 seats.

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
Do you have any metal shops around that you could take the plates to and have them just do the one bend for you? I use a local sheet metal shop often for this, and he's extremely cheap, plus does it while I wait.

2901 - 2920 of 2926 Posts