Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally started on building a Gasser from a 1965 Falcon I've had for a while. The plans are for Straight Front axle, 521" big block/C6, full roll cage.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think the Torque Thrusts would look great. And they did on my `65 Sprint. Are you sure a 50" axle is right width . I`m using a 46" in my `60 Falcon gasser. Gasserman

·
Registered
209 Posts
Going to be a nice gasser! Like the Torque Thrusts. I don't know how close your Falcon and my 65 Nova are for width but mine has a 46" axle also like gasserman. Brian

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The rear end is 57 1/4" wide. It was a toss-up between the 48" and 50" axles. Decided if I don't like it, I'll narrow the axle.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
The higher the front is, the better it looks to go wider instead of narrower. Seems like a stock width axle looks even narrower as the nose gets higher up. I like the tires to fill the wheelwells right out to the edge on nose high gassers personally. I built my axle to fit that way.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I agree that the wheel/tire should be to the fender edge. Another trick/tip while setting up a straight or even dropped axle. If you are going to lift the front end higher than a normal car would be and you are installing/building your own front axle, place the front axle centerline forward just a little bit, about 1 inch for a moderate lift and 2 inches for a high lift. If you place the axle center line on the stock measurement, once you lift it, the axle appears too far rearward. It's a visual thing. Just heads up. Mark L

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPS brought my axle kit from Speedway last Thursday, so that inspired me to get into the shop this weekend. Started building the rollcage, so I got a chance to use the JD Squared tubing bender that I bought back in early 2010. I am using an Autoweld 12pt 1 3/4" mild steel cage kit I bought many years ago for a Ranchero that I sold before I got a chance to use it. Was able to use the main hoop and halo hoop as is, but pretty much everything else had to be either modified or replaced with home-bent pieces.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I plan to add-on to the existing in the Opel.

Plan to add additional bars across the doors (swingable) - across the dash (above & below) & thru the firewall into the engine compartment.

Adding to the existing roll bar will enable me to modify the dashboard so I can gain clearance so I can change the manifold/carb. Plus, extending the roll bar into the engine compartment will allow me to remove the inner fender wells (unibody design) and remount the front shocks, radiator support, etc

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I plan to add-on to the existing in the Opel.
Adding to the existing roll bar will enable me to modify the dashboard so I can gain clearance so I can change the manifold/carb. Plus, extending the roll bar into the engine compartment will allow me to remove the inner fender wells (unibody design) and remount the front shocks, radiator support, etc
And make the frontend tilt or lift of too! :)

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Good start. The Speedway kit is lacking as far as instructions, but it goes together well.

What's wrong with Cragar SS's? I don't know why, but I've always liked SS's on mid-60's small cars (Nova and Falcon sized). Maybe it's what we had cruising around Longivew when I was a kid.

Mike

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Good start. The Speedway kit is lacking as far as instructions, but it goes together well.

Mike
That's probably my one complaint with my Speedway axle, the instructions. I've still got some pieces leftover that I don't know why they came with the kit. Not sure what they are, or where they would go because the instructions don't give a detailed list of parts and pieces.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This week I got a 8.8 rear, 3.73 with disc brakes from a 98 Explorer, so I ordered another right side axle (3" shorter) and narrowed the housing Saturday. Finished 56.5". Still need to move leaf spring perches.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
And make the frontend tilt or lift of too! :)
Yep Vall !!!! You know what I'm up to WITHOUT me saying !!!!

Those inner fender wells prevent me from doing "lots" of things that I eventually plan to do.

The way the inner wells support and hold things it's not like I can just cut them out. In addition to supporting the front shocks there is all kind of stuff hanging on them (Line Lock -Brake Lines - Cool Can - etc). Plus it's not like I just unbolt them & away I go. They are welded to the frame and main body/cowl of the car.

In addition to changing the way the shocks are mounted & making the front end tilt I also plan to change the radiator support and one day (hopefully sooner than later) a "straight front axle".

This car is screaming "I NEED a tilt front end & straight front axle" !!!!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Yep Vall !!!! You know what I'm up to WITHOUT me saying !!!!

Those inner fender wells prevent me from doing "lots" of things that I eventually plan to do.

The way the inner wells support and hold things it's not like I can just cut them out. In addition to supporting the front shocks there is all kind of stuff hanging on them (Line Lock -Brake Lines - Cool Can - etc). Plus it's not like I just unbolt them & away I go. They are welded to the frame and main body/cowl of the car.

In addition to changing the way the shocks are mounted & making the front end tilt I also plan to change the radiator support and one day (hopefully sooner than later) a "straight front axle".

This car is screaming "I NEED a tilt front end & straight front axle" !!!!
Is it possible you can cut them out and build a support from either the roll cage, or firewall to the ends of the frame rail area? That would retain the support, and also give you something you could weld tabs to for supporting whatever is on the fenderwells now. Also might allow some heat to exit the engine bay, and the tilt could be done then! :)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Is it possible you can cut them out and build a support from either the roll cage, or firewall to the ends of the frame rail area? That would retain the support, and also give you something you could weld tabs to for supporting whatever is on the fenderwells now. Also might allow some heat to exit the engine bay, and the tilt could be done then! :)
Looks like a good plan!!!!!

As you know since I got the Opel I really haven't got much work done on it other than doing "lots of pipe dreaming" and parts collecting.

The work I have been doing on the workshop has been taking MUCH LONGER than I planned. Seems like everything I do gets more complicated as time goes on. Doing "extras" add on fast and have made the job seem like it's NEVER going to end. At the rate I'm going I hope to be done in a few more weeks.

The "good thing" is the "extra time" is giving me more time to think things out... and not rush into things as I have done in the past.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Better add some new pictures of the narrowed 8.8 rear, front frame rail members, and roll cage that I still need to finish. Also. A picture of parts as I collect them and a picture when I brought the Falcon home in 07??

Attachments

1 - 20 of 87 Posts