Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some shots of my Gasser. I bought the car fairly cheap already started. It did race down in Texas, I know by the decals in the window.
As of this point, it's down to the frame and I'm getting ready to prime it. I've been collecting parts for a while and can't wait to start using them.
I will try to keep the pictures coming as work progresses.

My Pictures 068.jpg My Pictures 061.jpg My Pictures 057.jpg My Pictures 075.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That's a great ole gasser! I really like the early 60's Impalas. Keep us posted on your build. :)

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Very cool gasser! Nice to see something less common as a gasser based build!
A 409 would sure be cool in your '63! :)

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
You and the Riv have the most unique gassers here. Any other x-frame cars that could be gassers?

63-64 Impalas have been one of my favorite cars since high school. I couldn't afford one then. All the cool car-guys in high school had them.

Keep us up to date with the build.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'm gettin' to primer the frame this weekend. Then the fun stuff begins like my rear and the ladder bar set up. It's not easy with that X frame. I've got some ideas in my head how I want it to look.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
I'm interested in seeing how you do ladder bars with a control arm rear suspension, and not have any binding. Or will you change it to just ladder bars and remove the control arms?

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Vall remember the Chevelles and other GM's with the Lakewood ad on's. If the bushing is in the same reseptical as the lower control arm it won't bind. However I would like to see the ladder bar on its own with a rear clip. :) that would be a fun build. Steamer take lots of pictures ! ! :) :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to make it's own bracket off the bottom of the X and mount them straight forward. I don't know how to insert a picture, sorry.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Yeah I remember the Lakewoods, heck I have them on my Camaro right now! Mine are on a leaf spring suspension, but the front mount is sandwiched with the front spring perch bracket, so they pivot together and don't bind.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Quote "You and the Riv have the most unique gassers here".

I guess a '63 FULL SIZED Catalina is a common gasser????? Huh! Huh!Huh!?????? 8^) Markus O'Loserous

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Steamer and I have been talking. I really like the Chevy. My Dads one and only new car was a '63 Chevy. I've mentioned before that my Dad hauled Ramblers out of Kenosha WI. When we ordered the '63 Chevy, he arranged to have a trip to Detriot to deliver Ramblers and bring the '63 home on the trailer. He saved shipping cost that way. Back then there was a lot more latitude when buying a car. I learned to drive in that '63 (and a couple other of firsts in it also, wink, wink). So I've always had a soft spot for '63 Impalas. Glad as heck that Steamers building here. Mark L

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really dig the look of your Catalina. did I ask you before, did Pontiac have an X frame also? I'm still working on some ideas for hangin' the ladder-bars, with coilovers.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I think you did but I can't remember if I answered you. Pontiac used the X frame for '58 to '60. Then the went to that perimeter frame for '61. Chevy started useing the same frame design in '65 with the full size Chevies. I'm still waiting fo rmy crossmember to get done so I can get the rearend/ladder bars in and in place so I can locate the coilovers and the frame crossmember for those. Mark L

1 - 16 of 16 Posts