Gasser HotRod Forums banner
981 - 1000 of 1002 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #981 ·
Mickey Thompson was a crazy Mo-Fo. He did some crazy stuff with Pontiacs back in the day. He set so many records with V8's,4's, this or one like it 2 cylinder and a land speed record with four V8 Pontiac motors. He cast lots of Hemi Pontiac heads, aluminum and cast iron blocks, intakes etc. Those were the days my friend. Thanks for thinking of me. Hey I bet I even gave ya a headache. LOL

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #982 ·
Just an update. We've been testing/verifying all of the sensors and testing the viability of the injectors and coils. So far we've run into a snag with the crank trigger wheel sensor and the can synch sensor readouts. We are getting power to them, return power though the harness back to the ecu (MS ) but it's like the ecu is not seeing them. We've run into the same thing with other sensors but found several things in the soft wear/programing that we needed to turn off to get the readings. So either there is a problem or we just are not doing something right. I though we would have had it running last week these problems stopped us I our tracks. It's starting to get hot again and I find it's harder every year to tolerate the heat. A past health problem makes me susceptible to heat exhaustion very quickly and again, it's getting to be more of a problem. If it's not running soon I'll have to shelve it for this summer again. But I'm still working on that old Tempest 4 so I can still find things to spend all my millions on--LOL.

Markus O'Roastingious

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Hang in there Mark! It sounds like with the smarts of the two of you it's just a matter of time and that little light bulb is going to pop right on. I find my self at times like this getting so focused on determination that I over think, or overlook the simple and sometimes an obvious cause.... But for sure, take care of your health!

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #984 ·
Thanks Robert. During the build, many times, I would get to an impasse with something I was working on and I would have to walk away from it. But I did so much to the car there was always something to switch to. Then my head would start working in the background and I would come up with a solution. Usually it just meant more money needed spending, heh.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #987 ·
I've got two small babies in next door houses, night time is not an option for start up. Working on it, OK, but not running. I have the exhaust pipes right off the turbos (about 40 inches) and no mufflers. Not sure how loud it will be but I bet loud enough for night. Son thinks he has everything straightened out now. Coming late morning tomorrow. Cross your fingers guys. This has to be it!!!!
May have video soon.

Markus O'Expectatious

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #988 ·
Hey everybody. Just found my way back to the Gasser forum. In my last update I was having problems with all the electronics. Well in typical crazy fashion I shut down and reassessed my situation. After working all 2018 on the EFI I finally lost it and ripped everything that even looked like fuel injection and sold everything but the exhaust gas sensors in the exhaust pipes. Boy was that a scene. I even taught the neighborhood a whole new bunch of dirty words. LOL!!! I yanked the tunnel ram, throttle bodies, and coil on plug set up and went back to an Edlebrock Victor and a single 850 CSU blow thru carb. and reinstalled my home built front drive distributor. I have it running great at this point with only two trips around the block for now. Found that it really needed a brake booster to help make the four wheel disc work without using both feet and fifty pounds of sand in my pockets. So I just installed a 7 inch dual diaphragm booster. The steering box was a swap meet special. I overhauled it and tightened it up but the box is just shot. I bought a new box and had to build a new steering shaft. Waiting for the u-joints to arrive. Not sure I can add pics as I can't get me pics out of Photobucket. I'll try out of the computer files. Sorry I was away so long but I was getting rather disturbed with all the EFI problems and just wanted to have good news in my next post. Took a while. I hope all my friends here are well and still doing their projects. I need to get up to speed with everyone.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Your Forgiven but do not let it happen again.....shit we missed you...after market EFI has come along way since you installed yours...but with turbos it still complicate things...I just download going thru my computer..works good for my vintage PC...i was thinking about your build just a few weeks ago when I was looking at a turbo setup for my truck....

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #991 ·
Thanks guys. Vall, I saw a pic of your Austin on another FB page and it reminded me of all my good friends back here in the forum. I was getting so frustrated with everything electronic that I just shut down. I've always been one to do everything possible by myself. I needed to many others to help. Problem with that is they could not be available as much and or when I needed them. Not their fault. Just something that caused so much delay at every step. Sometimes waiting in limbo for weeks. Once I ripped everything out and changed to a blow thru, I was able to do everything except build the carb myself. I ordered the carb and was told it would be possibly 10 weeks. I was not happy but I wanted a fool proof carb so I was OK with the delay. The builder was so behind that I had to ask to get the carb after 16 weeks, ultimately taking 20 weeks. But I have it now and it is a great. Several more strange problems came up putting me behind. Even finding a classic insurance took weeks. But I got it out finally and found I needed a brake power booster to make the brakes work within a reasonable effort. Plus the steering box was just too shot. Right now the shaft and two steering u-joints just arrived. Putting it in tomorrow and I hope I can get it out right away. The steering shaft is a DD and one joint slips right on beautifully but I can't get the other joint to slip onto the shaft. So I have to do some fiddling to make it slip on. Again more stuff to delay. I did get a vanity license however----63 GASSR--- i WAS SURPRISED IT WAS AVAILABLE.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I haven't been on here forever myself and I got to thinking about your build and come on here to check it out. I went off the deep end also, I bought a 57 chevy 4 dr belair, a 5.3 LS, S488 billet wheel turbo along with some other stuff. It'll be blow thru also, I work on to much late model crap now, I know carbs. The cost of a built BBC or SBC now is crazy when you can take a LS and make 700 HP easily. Get that thing going and lets see some drag strip et's!

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
I haven't been on here forever myself and I got to thinking about your build and come on here to check it out. I went off the deep end also, I bought a 57 chevy 4 dr belair, a 5.3 LS, S488 billet wheel turbo along with some other stuff. It'll be blow thru also, I work on to much late model crap now, I know carbs. The cost of a built BBC or SBC now is crazy when you can take a LS and make 700 HP easily. Get that thing going and lets see some drag strip et's!
Hope Mark responds to your post VHT, but he hasn't been on the site since Feb. of2020, so not sure he'll see this?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #996 ·
Hope Mark responds to your post VHT, but he hasn't been on the site since Feb. of2020, so not sure he'll see this?
Hey guys. It's me, the Old Ghost Fart!!! So sorry for my absenteeism--again--but I've been chuggin' along on the Cat. I've had it out for spins around the block but nothing more. I have been pickin' away on problems but again the heat has stopped all work right now. Working thru over heating problems I had it out just before the high heat and it was much better at 90 degrees, holding at 180 for the short time out. I got adventurous and went 2 (two whole blocks, Woo Heee) and the fuel pump popped the fuse an left me stranded until I figured it out. If the cooling holds my next thing is trying to get the alternator turning faster under 1200 rpm. I have it running off the crankshaft mandrel drive but the pulley is too small to spin it up earlier. I had raised the rear ride height but then the front was too low. I built new front shackles to get the front up and am happy with that now. My rear wheels had too much offset (7.5 inches) and left the wheel/tire combo too far into the wheelwell. I grabbed pair of 15X14X2.5 BS and they put the tire in exactly the right location. Right at the edge of the opening. With the cooling probs I removed the trunk radiator and put one in the front. Also, and a big change, I built a TH400 with a brake and manual VB. I decided to go ahead and install the TH400 with a 3500 stall into the car. It went well and the darn thing actually worked well for the couple of little around the block trips. I've done a lot of little things and a couple of big things. I'll try to put some vids and some pics up.
Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood

Car Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood
Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #998 ·
Hi Mark, it is great to see you back! If you are like me, I check in a lot but do not comment too much or log on. As you say, just a ghost :). Looking forward to your video. Car looks great.
Thanks Mike. I spend time on Facebook and forget about the old forums. The vids are too big for the site. I don't know how to crop them. But I'm going to try. Nope, ain't happening. Might have my son help me and see if I can get the vids on.

Reactions: 1937Austin
981 - 1000 of 1002 Posts