Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, new to this forum and thought I'd say hello and share some pics of my build. my goal was to build a 55 gasser for 7k...I already have a 57 thats a nice driver and I told my wife no more than 7K for this car. I think I'm going to come pretty close to that number. the biggest break was finding the car that the previous owner just wanted the car gone from thier house. After selling the motor and transmission, rear axle, etc. it cost me about a grand.
I've fabricated most everything myself with alot of help from the information on the trifive.com forum and H.A.M.B. forum.
The car's floors and trunk bed are rusted out as are the quarters under the taillights. the rockers were in fairly good condition. The car had been wrecked and the frame in front of the firewall was pretty torn up so I didnt feel bad about cutting it off.
I'm currently working on the tilt front end and it feels like two steps forward and one step back with every move.
402 with a M-20, ford 9" with 4.33 gears, front axle from a 56' half ton pick up, fiberglass front end from a swap meet (unknown brand). Nothing special about the motor...came out of an old truck but it runs good and it'll have to do until I can afford to put in something better.

Charlie

Attachments

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Welcome Charlie! Glad to have you aboard. Looks like you're well on your way to a fine classic gasser.....:) You'll find a lot of tri-five company here and a great group of guys. Enjoy your stay and keep the pics coming.....:) :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome Charlie, doing a great job on your 55, thats how it was done originally, you built your ride with what you could afford, fabricate or get from a junkyard or other hot rodders/racers. Lookin Good!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys (hey mike!),
thanks for the feedback; building this car has been the most fun I've had in years, I've had other cars over the years but I cant imagine ever getting rid of this one.
I got somethings sorted out on the tilt front end last night and hopefully I'll have a functioning tilt assembly soon!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Glad to see you here Charlie. You are doing the "grass roots" type build that made the gassers famous. Do with what you can and do it how you like it. Have fun and don't look back. I'm gald you came here and we get to see your project. I'll never run out of enthusiasm for your type of build. I don't care if it's a five dollar back yard effort or a million dollar show winning car. Make it a gasser style and any caar will get me excited. Enjoy the board and keep us updated. You have a great start. MArk L

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks mark, I'm the same way the gasser style gets my attention no matter the car. I dont go to too many car shows but when i do I'm always drawn to the cars that guys built themselves at home.

·
Administrator
13,420 Posts
I love builds that make use of good used parts, or parts that guys build themselves! It's true hotrodder spirit, and keeps the cars unique.. I tried to not use anymore off the shelf parts than I had to in my build. It kept the cost down, but it also challenges me to make things work. Lots more fun too!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I try to use swap meet and online auction parts as much as I can, but certain parts are just better getting new. Mark L

1 - 12 of 12 Posts