Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1581 - 1600 of 1636 Posts

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,581 ·
trip down memory lane Vall, thanks for sharing. Love those gear drives!!
That one was the noisiest gear drive I've ever heard Steve! I'm also pretty sure it was the culprit that took out my bearings and caused the 327 to spin a rod bearing. I wish I'd demanded the engine builder put a gear drive in the 4 bolt main 350 when I had it built for the Austin. I miss the gear drive in it and the whine of a good one. Too much work to swap one in now, so it will never be done by me.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Austin sounded great. Love the sideways carbs.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,583 ·
Austin sounded great. Love the sideways carbs.
Thanks Mario! I like them too, but wish they were further apart. If the intake had more space between I could run twin vacuum secondary carbs like I want to. I have those 450's working, but I'd dump them in a second if I could fit vacuum secondary carbs to the same intake.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,584 ·
Nothing really new, but a friend sent me an old picture he took seven years ago at the Billetproof Drags in Toutle, Wa. My first trip to that race, and the first run I made they staged me up against the "Evil Twin" rail. A twin SBC powered rail, and to say I was intimidated would be an understatement. I kept telling myself to just not embarrass myself! Unfortunately that didn't help, as I fell asleep at the starting line trying not to red light. But The Evil Twin was already taking off in a cloud of tire smoke when I finally launched, and I caught his quickly. Then about the time I thought I had a good lead, and was going to win, he came barreling past me and beat me by a couple car lengths! It was still fun!

Think I better get the old Austin out soon, as I haven't driven it since the '39 got road worthy.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Very cool Vall. Has to be a great memory for you. Great to look back on those.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,586 ·
Yes, it is my first love; and a car I wanted most of my life. Well actually I wanted an A40 like Big John Mazmanian's "football Austin". But I was searching for an A40 or an Anglia when I found my A8, and it didn't take long to know it was what I wanted.
I'd actually never heard of the Austin A8, or seen one prior to finding it. Once I did find it I wondered why they'd never been used in drag racing? Of course the answer was they're not seen in the USA much, and the Anglia's 90" wheelbase chosen by NHRA as the minimum, made the 89" Austin A8 illegal.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,587 ·
Spent the morning in the garage cleaning, waxing, and polishing! We're finally having a car show here, and even though it's supposed to hit 102 degrees today, we're not gonna miss it for anything! 5:00-9:00 p.m., but going to get there at 4:00 because I'm betting on a huge turnout!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,588 ·
Got a email notice earlier this week from Pick N Pull stating all bucket seats are on sale this weekend for $15 each! And Tool Kit members got the sale starting Friday! So figured I'd go look since I haven't been happy with my Jeep Smithy seats in the Austin for some time now. They're fixed, so no folding back, and padding is not much good. The only good thing I could say is they look period.
So off to P&P this morning, and grabbed a yard cart there to haul them out. First row I went down was Honda, and at the back I found a pair of CRV buckets with manual adjustment, in black leather. They looked good, but who wants to buy the first seats you see? So I wander off up and down rows to see if I can find any other black leather or vinyl seats, manual or electric. And of course I'm limited in space to a 22" wide seat to fit into my cramped quarters.
After an hour of running up and down rows, I give up and go back to the first seats I saw and pull them out. Super easy to remove, and I soon had them both on the cart. Both seats have adjustable backs, but driver's seat also has adjustable base for both angle of the base, plus height of the base. Just a great seat.
Of course they both have headrests that I'll need to pull off, and they have a center armrest that folds down, which might need to be unbolted, as it might make them too wide. I'll figure that out once I've got the old seats out.
I may need to modify my existing bases to lower them, or maybe remove existing bases and make new ones for the CRV seats. But once I've got the new seats in it should be a lot more comfortable on longer drives.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,589 ·
With warm, dry weather, I drug the new seats out of the storage, and began the cleaning. I'm guessing from the color of the cleaner and rags, this might be the first cleaning they'd gotten since 2006 when the CRV was new! I used some upholstery cleaner, and a scotchbrite pad on the worst, and then just towels and cleaner afterwards. The foam cleaner turned brown when it hit the surface, and the rags were not much use after a couple swipes. But they cleaned up nicely after some elbow grease.

I removed the armrest off both seats to get them narrower, and better looking. Then used the armrest pivot plate as a template to make up two cover plates to hide the holes left in the leather under the armrest pivots.

I'll spray these plates and the two bolts satin black to blend in with the seats later. I have some black leather dye leftover from Tandy Leather that I bought to do the backseat in my Falcon, and will dye these seats black, and spray the plastic parts black with paint, or vinyl spray dye.
I'll dye the headrests, but wont use them. Just store them in case they might be used later by somebody.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Nice looking seats Vall. Good find.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,593 ·
Wow nice seats they look comfy ...good bang for the buck
Thanks Lash. I should have taken a pic before removing the armrests. I almost considered leaving them, but they were too wide to fit my tiny interior. Plus the armrest ain't exactly screaming gasser anymore than the headrests are.

·
Registered
792 Posts
wow, those are a great find. Makes my bus seats look awful.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,595 ·
wow, those are a great find. Makes my bus seats look awful.
I would imagine your bus seats might be similar feeling to my Jeep seats. If so, it wont take much seat time to consider swapping them out to something adjustable, and better padded.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,596 ·
Gorgeous, clear 50 degree day today, so rolled the Austin out and pulled the front seats out. Then got one of the new seats to test fit. Discovered that they're high enough that my old risers wont be needed at all. And it looks like little or no riser is needed on them. I will weld a couple pieces of 3/4" thick Kindorf strut across front and back, but only because I'd like to use at least two of the existing holes so I don't need to drill eight new holes in the floors.
I also discovered my measurements were not taking into account the window cranks in the backseat, or the trans tunnel! There's zero clearance between the tunnel and the seat adjusters, and zero clearance between the seat backs and the window cranks for the back windows. So if I want those windows open it will mean opening the doors first, cranking the window down, and then leaving the cranks pointed back at that point to clear the seats!
I knew they'd be tight, but the extra couple inches wider than the Jeep seats creates big issues I'll have to live with. If I situate the 3/4 strut off towards the outside of the car, it will gain me maybe 1/2" towards the center, and that will help a little. Darn car is really cramped inside!

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,597 ·
Got the strut welded to the seats today, and painted up. Also got the seats dyed and the sealer put on to protect the newly dyed leather. Just sitting in the car for now, and only need to bolt them to the floor when I get a chance.

And Ed Iskenderian's signature on the dash when he was in it back in 2012.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,599 ·
They look great!
Thanks Dave. Supposed to get one more day of dry weather today, so will get them bolted down, and figure out where to locate my radio now. It was bolted to the seat riser before, and not sure if I have enough height now to do that again.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Thanks Dave. Supposed to get one more day of dry weather today, so will get them bolted down, and figure out where to locate my radio now. It was bolted to the seat riser before, and not sure if I have enough height now to do that again.
I have given tons of thought to my radio situation in my car. There is NO way I am cutting the dash and I do not want to hide it in the glovebox. I think I am going to go with one of those small 4 channel Bluetooth amps that I can hide under the dash. Then I can stream anything I want through my phone, or, listen to my 8 track player I bought on eBay.

1581 - 1600 of 1636 Posts