Gasser HotRod Forums banner
561 - 563 of 563 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 ·
Wow! What a lucky catch that was Mike! Thank goodness it didn't get worse before you caught it!
How's that new build going? Anything new to post about progress?
Nothing too new. Been doing some wiring for the large electrical cables and am waiting for my welder to make up some fenderwell headers for it. Took forever to get the header pieces, everyone is so backlogged and slow right now.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
What's that old saying, you play you pay? Just prior to my last race at Bremerton Raceway I heard the exhaust tune on the passenger side of the 38 change. I checked plug wires and looked around and didn't see anything and it was running fine. I ran the last race and got put on the trailer. When I got home, I pulled the valve covers to see if there was something going on. View attachment 107600 Even with the rocker arms on I could see the wear marks on my #2 intake valve. After pulling the arm shaft off this is what I saw. The valve was almost sucked all the way back through the valve retainer. OMG, did I miss a bullet. Little bit more and it would have ingested the valve as lunch for the piston. I am waiting for a part to tear down the head to see what happened, if a keeper broke, retainer slipped. Don't know yet. But heads are off and waiting for tear down. The face of the valves and heads look good so far.
Good catch. Certainly dodged a bullet on that one. Hope you get it fixed soon. love the wheels up picture too.

561 - 563 of 563 Posts