Gasser HotRod Forums banner
561 - 580 of 613 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 ·
Wow! What a lucky catch that was Mike! Thank goodness it didn't get worse before you caught it!
How's that new build going? Anything new to post about progress?
Nothing too new. Been doing some wiring for the large electrical cables and am waiting for my welder to make up some fenderwell headers for it. Took forever to get the header pieces, everyone is so backlogged and slow right now.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
What's that old saying, you play you pay? Just prior to my last race at Bremerton Raceway I heard the exhaust tune on the passenger side of the 38 change. I checked plug wires and looked around and didn't see anything and it was running fine. I ran the last race and got put on the trailer. When I got home, I pulled the valve covers to see if there was something going on. View attachment 107600 Even with the rocker arms on I could see the wear marks on my #2 intake valve. After pulling the arm shaft off this is what I saw. The valve was almost sucked all the way back through the valve retainer. OMG, did I miss a bullet. Little bit more and it would have ingested the valve as lunch for the piston. I am waiting for a part to tear down the head to see what happened, if a keeper broke, retainer slipped. Don't know yet. But heads are off and waiting for tear down. The face of the valves and heads look good so far.
Good catch. Certainly dodged a bullet on that one. Hope you get it fixed soon. love the wheels up picture too.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 ·
Just a little update. I tried taking the valve retainer loose to pull the injured valve and could not break it free to get the keepers out. So off to Napa. They broke it all down with their special touch and found that the valve was still in good shape. The keepers were egg shaped at best. Looks like high valve float at the top end of my last couple of race runs. Everything else looked good. So new valve job and seals. Replaced the 7 degree retainers and keepers with 10 degree set. Had to order a new set of roller rockers as I could not locate one rocker to replace the worn one from that valve. I am headed to someplace warm for vacation and then I will get the old girl put back together and back on the road.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #566 ·
Hi all, back from vacation. Got the heads from the shop, They are all cleaned up and ready to rock. I even had quick shipping with in stock items for the roller rockers (surprise). Started final cleaning and began assembly a couple of days ago. Got the passenger side head on and torqued down. It seems to be the harder of the two to reach. Dead timed the engine and double checked the distributor. Everything seems to be lining up. Hopefully tomorrow get back out and get the other head on and the valley pan. I am going to rebuild the carbs while they are off, so that will take a bit more time. But with the rain and upper 40's temps, the shop is a good place to hide.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
Sounds like you’re having too much fun Mike. :) good for you buddy.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 ·
You must have heat in your shop Mike! Mine's not much fun with the temps lately. Good to hear the vacation went well, and the heads are done!
I put in a propane heater in the ceiling aimed at the car bays. It isn't enough to spray paint with, but keeps the garage useable during cooler weather.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I put in a propane heater in the ceiling aimed at the car bays. It isn't enough to spray paint with, but keeps the garage useable during cooler weather.
I don’t know that I would do flammables in the garage anyway Mike. closest I came to that was kerosene heater at the garage door with it open, then shut it down while spraying. Lol. Unless you can use water base paint. I’ve never used that stuff.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I finished up tightening down the heads and finally got the rocker rails shimmed out properly. I get to assembly lube and oil everything up and do final assembly now.
Glad you're getting close to finished on that big block. Youtube it for us when you get it running. I would love to hear it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #573 ·
Well I finally got all the parts together and got the old gal started yesterday. Didn't have my camera, but I will take some video today if I can. While checking the choke and throttle plates for WOT, I discovered that the gas pedal I have been using since I started the build does not allow it to go WOT. I always wondered why I could not get closer to the times I thought I could run on the track. I ordered a Lokar pedal and throttle cable. I put them on yesterday as well. The old pedal only had a limited throw for the linkage to move and I never noticed that it wasn't opening up the throttle plates to WOT. Hopefully this helps a little bit on times.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
Well I finally got all the parts together and got the old gal started yesterday. Didn't have my camera, but I will take some video today if I can. While checking the choke and throttle plates for WOT, I discovered that the gas pedal I have been using since I started the build does not allow it to go WOT. I always wondered why I could not get closer to the times I thought I could run on the track. I ordered a Lokar pedal and throttle cable. I put them on yesterday as well. The old pedal only had a limited throw for the linkage to move and I never noticed that it wasn't opening up the throttle plates to WOT. Hopefully this helps a little bit on times.
Glad to hear you got her going again Mike. I had the same thing happen to me With the throttle. I gotta think subconsciously we both thought safety first good enough. Lol. Boy was that disappointing.
😂

·
Administrator
13,662 Posts
Glad it's running again Mike! Can't wait to see/hear the video!

·
Registered
7,601 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #579 ·
Nope, not at a track. I took it in to a auto shop I use and had it put on a gas analyzer. It was running a little rough and rich. Turned out the back carb had gotten out of sync when I was putting them back on the tunnel ram. But she runs much better now.

561 - 580 of 613 Posts