Gasser HotRod Forums banner
521 - 540 of 558 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #521 ·
Well, trying to get everything together to head back up to Mission BC for test and tune June 17th. Put a new set of 4.10 gears in the rear to replace the 3.50's. So will see what kind of change it makes. Going to try and run slicks this time as well. I was having problems with the carburetor's gunking up and idling like crap. Looks like the Ethanol in gas doesn't like fuel tank foam. I spent the weekend pulling out the foam and cleaning the fuel tank (of course I just filled it up). Blowing out fuel lines and cleaning carbs this weekend.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Ethanol!! Worst thing that ever happened to gasoline!
Hope you get it all sorted out and make some passes in BC later this month!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mike, be sure get us some pics of your car at the track when you can! Best of luck getting it ready for test and tune.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #524 ·
Lines all cleaned out. Strained the fuel going back into tank. Test drive, sounds really good. Water spray on windshield, ah crap. Luckily I do not go far from home on shakedown runs. Cleaned off the windshield and by the time I got home it was covered again. Checking everything, leaking water somewhere. Found a loose hose. checking water pump pulley and it moved up and down. Hmm, pulled fan and pulley. Water leaking out the bottom of the water pump shaft. Ordered a new pump. Dang if it ain't one thing its two. That's the fun part right, right? Well no test and tune this Friday.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Wow mike. Good thing you found that leak in time. Test and tune could have been a disaster. Water under the tires and bad things happen. Good catch. Take your time. Check it all out nice and slow so you're safe.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #526 ·
Wheel Sky Tire Cloud Land vehicle Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Car Wheel Land vehicle Car Tire Vehicle Hi all, I made it to Eagle Field, CA for the fun time drags. It is a 1/8 mile track. Fun, not a lot of runs though. Long trip and glad to be home. Car did well. Best time was 7.85 @ 89mph. Lots of nice gassers there. I will down load some pictures soon.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Glad it went well Mike! Eagle Field is a great venue, but so many cars it's tough to get many passes in. Looks like I see some daylight under your left front tire on picture #2?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #528 ·
I have been having a ton of fun racing and I am afraid it has pushed me into trying something a little more aggressive. A 64 Dodge Polara fell (well crawled) into my lap and I couldn't make it go home. It has been stripped out, cut out and has a rectangular tube frame and a full roll cage. However, it has a rack and pinion front axle and is about 3 inches off the ground. Should I put a straight axle under it? A/FX Clone it? Or run the heck out of it as it is. If you are interested I can post some photos even if it isn't a Gasser. Your call.

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
Run the hell out of it, spend the money on speed not nostalgia...you already got that going on..pics please...pretty please with a hemi on top...

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
Although I'm a huge gasser fan, I'd go with the later look when A/FX and late gassers began to drop the frontend lower. It can still be a nostalgia look to the build, and give you a ton of fun making and racing it, plus driving on the street. But the present rack and pinion will drive great, and save a bunch of money leaving it alone. Even if you wanted to raise it slightly to clear speed bumps, etc., it will still be a great car with that suspension.
I sure love those mid 60's Dodge and Plymouth cars! I'd build one in a second if it fell in my lap. Probably sell my Falcon to finance the car too! They're just cool as heck!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #534 ·
Drained the water out of the old girl yesterday morning and filled it with anti freeze for its winter rest. Beautiful day so decided to drive it to work. What a great fall day for a drive. Felt great leaving with upper 60 degree temps, so had to bark the tires a little in front of the shop :) Not sure what the boss will say on Monday. But we are all gear heads, so probably grin and shake his head at his elder employee.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #536 ·
Officially I guess I am. I had an opportunity at the first of the year to go to work for a custom car shop near my home. I only work a couple of days a week and it is a great place to work. Lots of neat cars. Working as a fabricator. Always was my dream job to work someplace that I could do something I enjoyed. Makes it feel more like play time than work. Pays for fuel and parts for the gasser and the drag strip.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Mike, both cars look great. The 64 Polaris will be a fun car to drive at the track. Both cars are way cool. Thanks for sharing the pics. Glad you are having fun. Way to go wildman. Are you thinking about making the 64 a prostrate car that you can still drive on the road once in a while and still have fun running it at the track? I am doing that transition right now with the Nova. if anyone could make the transition, it would be you with your skill sets and nice garage work space. Would be great to see pics of progress. Both cars are real nice Mike!

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #540 ·
Thanks for the kind words. Only working Monday to Wednesday. Told the boss I needed weekends for racing. I am going to make the 64 race only, no street time. It would never pass a state motor vehicle inspection. I will post some photo's from time to time on it if you guys want to see it. Like I said it isn't a straight axle, hmm yet?

521 - 540 of 558 Posts