Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I am interested in your name there outhousemouse. Is that kinda like a teepee creeper? To answer your question, I think you will find most of us like the period correct cars. However, most of us do not build them to exact specs. we use disc brakes and four links with coilovers. Newer this or that. Things that were not available in the 60's. Build it like you want it to be. We love all kinds of builds and you won't get any kick from us because you used the wrong doodad on the thingy mahgig.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Also, ther is no right car to build one out of anyway. I think 'Run what ya brung' is more of the attitude. There are several full-size cars, pickups, and others that are not cookie cutter period cars. This coming from a guy who has one of the most done cars ('55 Chev), and my car isn't all period. I will have some nice newer tech like electric fans, CD ignition, etc. and if I could afford it I would have an EFI converted Hilborn 8-stack on the top.

Although, I may give you crap if you do use a thingy mahgig. :D

Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I stole the name from a Gasser of the early 70s. In the early 70s Sonny Wayland and Ray Sullines had a race car building business in Newport Ar. Some of you older folks might remember Ray he was Professer Kelly Chadwicks right hand man and was in the thick of the FX and early funny cars. Outhouse mouse was the name of one of their house cars.

·
Administrator
13,532 Posts
I built both of my cars in the "spirit" of the 60's gassers, so I tried to get the general look, but didn't go 100% correct. My '46 Austin sedan has a TH350 behind the 327, and a late model B&M Pro Ratchet shifter. It's also running disc brakes in front, and a pair of drag radials in back. I'm sure a person could find several things that aren't true to the era, but I tried to get the look.
My Chevy powered '63 Falcon is probably a little closer to correct, but running a late model Ford 8.8" posi that wasn't around back then. Also a bug catcher scoop that didn't show up until the end of the gasser era.
I love gassers, and period correct are my favorite, but I don't mind seeing what else people come up with too.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Outhouse, I'm way outside of the period type. 1963 Pontiac Catalina, 1960 389 block but that is all that is factory. Forged crank, aluminum rods, forged Ross pistons, solid roller cam with the 4/7 swap, aluminum aftermarket heads, newer tunnel ram, twin 750 blow thru carbs on E85, with twin 76MM turbos and twin intercoolers. I'm running the twin intercoolers into a ShotGun blower scoop. I am running a manual trans, a Ford top loader 3 speed trans. This trans was used by GM in big torque cars, Buick Pontiac and Olds between 1965 and 1971 as their Heavy Duty base trans. 9 Inch Ford rear. Narrowed frame rails for 31X16.5X15 ET Streets. I did put in a '57 Chevy truck beam axle and I did tilt the front sheet metal though. OH, I also cut the firewall and moved the engine back 10%.
Mine is really a Street Freak but it does not have the radically high stance or front end. It is just slightly above stock. Everyone accepts me for what I am and my car for what it is. That is the magic of this forum. Everyone had everyones' back.
We have Broncos, Ramblers, an MG being built, you name we got it. We also have the very good period correct and they are stunning cars.
It's all about the Gasser style. Not the individual car.

Mark L

·
Registered
643 Posts
Being a newbie and to lazy to read all the back posts. Is period correct preffered for this group?
Great question to ponder outhousemouse! I'll just say DITTO to all the responses so far and add this,,, I love a period correct car and if I ever find a "time capsule car",,,, one with racing history, that I like and can afford I will keep it that way.

One main thought that kept coming up for me when I first started looking into building a tribute to a period correct car is that a lot of them were,,lets say,,less than safe,,,,additionally the "weekend warrior craftsmanship" is not near what it is today for most of us.

For me, building one now, exactly how it would have been done in the fifties or sixties,,,,that type of car is not one that I would want to drive around regularly for many reasons,,,those reasons probably go without me having to say them here.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Of ALL the forums on Internet the GHR has the widest variety of cars built in the "spirit" of the "gassers" of days gone by.

Overall.... We have hot rodders who have that "spirit" of the golden days of drag racing when the "Gas Class" was the most popular and competitive class in both organized and street racing.

Having a car that started being built "back in the day" when a LOT of different methods & parts were used and considered to be acceptable does NOT mean I am keeping everything EXACTLY that way just to say it is "still period correct".

This is a subject we could discuss in length..... but the bottom line I think is" building a "safe & sound" car that runs as "strong" as possible in the "spirit" of the "gasser war days" is what most of us are doing here.

Enjoy...... I know I am !!!!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was hopeing that a few modern changes wouldn't stir up a hornets nest. And the part about the safety of the old gassers is right. The 33 Chevy I built there is no way I would drive that thing today the way it was. I replaced the original front axel with one out of a 52 chevy pu to get hyd brakes on it and changed the hubs to 5 hole. With the small blocks it drove ok but when I put a 427 in it the thing done everthing but crash. But that was why folks liked to watch the Gassers you never knew what they might do.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Hey I have a Chevy brother out there. Do you have pics to post on your albums. I would love to see the 33. 33 body Was very similar to my 35 standard. Welcome to the gasser variety forum. We do it all here. Love the period correct as the milestone but we all have limits to our expense and abilities so we do what we can and as stated earlier we run what we brung. I myself drifted to a comp engineering wheelie bar and Ladder bar setup instead of making period correct custom bars. I wish I did make them period correct after I saw some cool stuff posted on this forum which gave me some great ideas but maybe next build.
I also went braided hose and AN fittings instead of steel line and brass fittings on the fuel system. It gets a lot of looks at the shows so I don't really regret it.
Mario

1 - 12 of 12 Posts