Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound like a simple question for some, but I'm ready shortly to mount a Moon tank to the front of my '57 but not to sure where to mount it? Where have you put yours, do I mount low or cut the grill etc? Pics of your own or ones you've seen would be a real help to make up my mind which looks best.

Thanks,
Micky T. :cool:

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Don't see a lot of 57's with Moon tanks, and probably because those I've seen usually don't run a grille to allow the tank to set back. Here's one pic of a '57 with a Moon tank:

·
Registered
374 Posts
If anybody here has any old NHRA rule books they could check, that might provide a good idea of placement. Just a thought...

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
I've got some old rule books, and placement wasn't mentioned early on; then drivers began installing them inside the car, so NHRA made them move them outside for safety. The bront mount was most likely to keep the fuel line length short, and keep fuel moving towards the engine under acceleration. Many of those old cars would use most the fuel in the tank in one pass, so having a long line could ue quite a bit of fuel just getting to the engine!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I love the look of a polished Moon Tank, but I'm not to sure if it looks right hanging way out there in front of the grill. I'm going to use it as an overflow header tank for the radiator, so I've been thinking about cutting the grill mesh and also the chrome fitting. It sits perfectly for size between the Chevy emblem and the blinker and would fit nicely there with just half the tank sticking out. Thing with that is it will be to one side and I'm not sure if that would look right. I never thought such a simple job would end up being such a difficult decision!

Micky T.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
A number of other cars with Moon tanks had them set to one side. I'd assume to keep from blocking the radiator. I'd hate to cut that beautiful grille bar myself. I'd probably remove it, cut the grille, and mount different turnsignals behind the grille. Grilles are cheaper to get replacements for than grille bars.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think the car in the above pic pretty much has it nailed. I feel that offsetting it to one side will give it an unbalanced look.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I feel your pain! There is a pretty cool looking 57 in StreetRoddder Magazine this month and it has a Moon tank in front. Might take a look on line if you can't find the magazine.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I decided to mount the tank here...

Easy job really, the hardest part was making my mind up to where exactly it was gonna go! I cut the front panel and trimmed the grill to suit, the pipework is going to go up through the emblem and run as an overflow for the radiator.

Pretty pleased with the end result, just a couple of simple brackets to hold it in place and it's done. Wadda yer reckon?

Micky T.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
It looks good Mickey. Could you take a 20 footer photo so we can see the overall front of the car for a better perspective. I made the brackets for mine from some angle iron. Yell if you want some idea photos.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These are the best shots I can get of the car at the moment, it's angled in the garage so I can't bring it out on the drive while other work is being done and there's also two doors to the garage that blocks seeing most of the center out anyway. I hope these will be ok for now.

I cut the front panel and the grill as you can see and also had to trim the bracket that holds it all together and also holds the hood catch as well. The bracket has two bolts at the bottom, of which I cut the front holding bolt out and angled it back slightly with the grinder to allow the round contour of the tank, the whole lot is still very solid.

Wherever I've cut it I've rounded the corners and filed it so there are no sharp edges. Previously I welded a 2" x 1" box section across between the spring hangers, from this I will bend and shape two simple brackets that will hold it in place.

I always wanted to put a tank on the car but didn't like the idea of it stuck way out there in front, this way it hides it a little and doesn't look to bad I hope.

All the best,
Micky T.

P.S. Any pics that help make things easier are always gratefully recieved... Thanks!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
100_2447.JPG 100_2446.JPG 100_2455.JPG
I have a round crossmember in front. But it is bigger than a 32 Ford spreader bar, so I couldn't use that type of mount. I fabricated some mounts out of angle iron. I put nut-zerts in the top to mount the tank brackett to. Leveled them and centered them and welded em on.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
I like everything about that arrangement Micky! The tank is small, it's tucked in, but it still is highly visable without hanging out too far. Nice the way you kept the grille bar and most of the grille too! Looks perfect to my eyes!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It seems to have solved a problem for a lot of '57 owners, I'm glad you like it, sometimes the best ideas are always the simplest?

Micky T.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Actually I really like the placement. Same with the blue '57 in the previous pic, the tank is there but not in your face. I think it looks great. And realistcally, the early gassers were all about cutting and fitting things in where they can fit. I think ya done goot!!! Just a thought/suggestion. What about leaving your grille all in place but painting it black so it is less noticable, leaving the center strip and the tank to make the statement. I think that could work nicely. Mark L

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to finish off on my moontank, I've done the brackets and managed to push it back a touch further into the grill and it's now rock solid and going nowhere. The brackets were measured, cut, bent and welded to shape and again simply bolted to the cross member I'd previously welded in place. There's nothing fancy here, it's just stuff I had laying about in the garage but it's practical and works. I'll perhaps strip it down, along with a lot of other things on the car, to have chromed once I've set it all up and makes sure all works ok.

See you later,
Micky T. :cool:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts