Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, not sure where I should have this thread, but thought this would work. I love the look of a moon tank in a 55 Chevy grille opening or on the front of a 32 Ford. My question is, what do you think of a Moon style tank out in front of the grille on a car other than those mentioned? I just don't want it to look too bulky. I will post some photo's later this evening.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Every car is a little different. The tri Fives can never go wrong with one and several of the early cars like 32's etc also. I would love to put one on my '63 Catalina but I don't think it would go well with pointed front grille style. I have seen cars with divided front grilles (and a few Tri Fives as well) mount them offset to the middle of the side grille, which could work for my '63. Since I'm using twin air to water intercoolers I d need a water tank of some sort for the system. This is what I have at the moment which I had on my Trans Am.

And how the intercooler was mounted in the TA.

The tank I had was a small 2 qart tank but I could replace it with the moon tank. I will have two of those intercoolers mounted ahead of the engine with the turbos blowing into them. The Moon tank would be a great tank for the intercooler water IF it can be mounted high enough to burp the system. Which I am not sure I can. Mark L

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
It really depends on the car, size of the tank, and location. I really like Moon tanks, and I wanted one on my Austin, but I held mine up in every place I could think of and it looked like a wart sticking out. Just could not find anywhere that it looked good.
The old roadsters look great becaue they sit between the frame rails, and a lot of cars llike the Tri Fives and old Willys coupes have a grille that they can be set back into and not protrude too far. If they sit back into the car or the grille they really add to the old style gaser look.
But even back in the day there were not a huge number of gassers running a Moon tank. When I look through the old Gasser Wars book probably at most there's maybe 10% of the gassers pictured have a Moon tank, so not having one will put you in the majority with most old gassers.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I believe it was mostly or only those running fuel injection. Possibly blowers, since there were no really big flowing electric pumps back then. This then used g forces to help flow the fuel to whatever mechanical pump they were running. If mounted high enough it might have even helped with priming the front pumps to start the motor. Mark L

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
We used a modified Freon tank on the "Little Brow Jug." The Anglia had adiquite room in the grill opening, as Vall mentioned. I plan to try to duplicate that on the Morris if possible. The "Moon" tanks also look good in the boot, not as visible but still impressive.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool photo Cptn, I already have made some mounts and welded them to the front frame cross support. Can always cut them back off. I will post photos later.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I think it's insane how much $ Moon tanks go for. Even dented, beat up, crappy one's are silly paper!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I think it's insane how much $ Moon tanks go for. Even dented, beat up, crappy one's are silly paper!
That may be the understatement of the year. You can buy a nice new tank(only) from Speedway for $149 bucks. Then you could make your own brackets or I think they were $49. Then get a Moon eyes decal for $4 and go. Mark L

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Yeah they're crazy priced unless I'm selling, and then I can't get diddly for one! I had a original from the late 50's, and every one I saw like it went $300-$400. I finally found a buyer for $150 after listing it for $250 for months.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
i was gonna use a 2 1/2 gallon EELCO tank on my car with the EELCO mounting brackets. MOON high dollar/EELCO not so high dollar, LOL.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
100_24521.JPG 100_24531.JPG
Well this is the photos of my homemade mount and Speedway tank. You can't really get a really good idea of how it will look with the fenders on. But the tank is just about as wide as the grill opening. It will be within 4 inches of the face of the grill so pretty tight in. So what do you think, sticks out like a bump on a log or looks ok?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I like the brackets..... & especially using "lightening holes" for the "old school" look!!!!

What size is the tank ? With the HIGHLY inflated prices of vintage tanks especially the banged-up ones with 40+ years of dents, scratches & "patina" the newer ones like the ones offered by Speedway & on eBay are hard to pass up. Sometimes "patina" is way too pricey to have!!!

I think the tank's mounting position is where it should be. Your gasser is a larger car so mounting it as you have it mocked up is good. With the Opel there is no way I can mount tank like that.

What I plan to do is to remove the sheet metal where the front license plate would mount and make a "recessed" box to mount the Moon-Styled gas tank.

·
Administrator
13,308 Posts
Hard to tell yet maddog. Once the rest the sheetmetal is in place I might be able to see how it fits into the whole picture better.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
John, the tank is 5 gallons. It measures 8 inches round by 24 inches long. I think it would look cool in your grill, but don't know if your willing to cut it up to put it in. I had to much time and effort in mine to try that. And Vall, your right, I will have to wait and get everything on to get a good look at the overall. I have a couple of bumper guards to go on the front too, so just a matter of finishing the wiring up and moving on to the next thing on the to do list.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts