Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing with my large English Wheel an was messing with another die I have for tipping. Had to do it by hand there's no power so you have to draw with the sheet metal...
I'm thinking of doing this on Stainless with the flames facing up and put it behind our cook top as a back splash ! ! Wonder what my wife would think ? ?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Steve, thats Hot! I don't know what your Wife would think, but I would like to have one behind my stove in the garage/ kitchen area behind the stove up to the bottom of the built in microwave.
Andy

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Nice Steve.... always thought stuff like those flames were done using a "Bead Roller"?????

Guess that proves (again!!!) how little I know about working with metal - metal forming!!!! :(

Needless to say I am learning a LOThere from all of you guys .... now MY task is taking the things I see done here and "somehow" figuring out a way to do something similar with the limited skills & tools I have available or will need to purchase to get the job done.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
That is cool. Now I'm thinking that it woud be wild to do that in the fender behind the wheelwell. You'd have to remove all the double walled supports/inner fender stuff etc. But you could remove it all, do the flames and replace the inner fender supports and tack them back in. There may be some distortion to the fender but it would be a fun project to try on an old fender. If you were replacing door skins you could continue it back into the doors. Would be a real neat affect. Steve. I have all the inner bracing on my hood removed. I'll send it to you and you can experiment. (But ya gottsta do it good cause I need the hood, LOL) Mark

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John, most the time, guys do stuff like this with a bead roller, but I set my tipping die in my large throat English Wheel and just gave it a whirl. The tipping wheel is most used for tipping an edge on curved panels that are impossible to do in a metal brake.

Tom says I should do the whole side of the Grump and leave it in raw aluminum.

The only problem I'm having doing the flames behind the cook top, is I am putting a back splash behind the sink area also, but don't want flames there. Now it is all the way across the room and wondered if I don't tie the same design it won't look right. I could do a pleated design but even thought of a vine design ?

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the tipping wheel for those who haven't seen it. I got it back in the early 2000's when a friend had just started making them. Joe is one heck of a talented machinist. It's made to adapt to my large throat wheeling machine.

He never gets my shop name right but its the thought that counts :D

·
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I sort of hinted around how cool the flames would look and even going as far a drawing them on the plywood backing behind the cooktop and Kate said if that's what I wanted to do it was ok, which to me really means its cool but she would rather not ! !
Sons he leaves for her weekend stay at the work house and Tom and I are going to try to work on the kitchen to surprise her. So I ether doing diamond pleated or a vine. I only ordered one 4x8 sheet of stainless so hopefully I can get it right. ;)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Steve.... I think the "diamond pleat" would be a very nice "compromise" design. Still will have that "OLD hot rod" look.

I am looking forward to trying some things with a "bead roller"..... both functional & decorative. Still hoping to find a "used" better quality bead roller if not will get one on-line or at Harbor Freight and "beef it up" as needed.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Wow! I love your flames Steve. I'd love to have them on my aluminum inside door panels... :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts