Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mallory Dual Point Distributor for Cadillac 500

We did this about six months ago but I thought some of you might find it interesting.

We decided to do something different for my Cadillac 500 engine. We took a stock hei and carved off the bottom of it and mated it to a Mallory dual point distributor. The following pictures are the process we used to put the two of them together. I wanted to get rid of the look of the hei on the front of the engine and to have something that's a little different. Does anyone see any problems with this? I am planning on running with the dual points with a MSD 6A box. (I have been running this now for about four months. The engine runs better now then it ever has. It has more power and on a recent 350 mile trip I got 17 mpg.)

Keith

Here's the Cadillac hei chucked up in the lathe.

We weren't sure how much of the shaft we were going to have to use so we initially cleaned off all the extra castings above the distributor hold down.

The Mallory center shaft was larger at the bottom where it goes through the bushing in the Cadillac housing so we had to turn it down to fit.

This is the Mallory distributor chucked up.

We turned the area that will be inserted into the Cadillac housing base down, before we cut it off to length.

This is the Cadillac distributor base that we are cutting off just above the hold down plate.

We drilled out the base to just under one inch so the Mallory upper portion of the distributor slid inside.

Here's the Mallory upper portion of the distributor and the Mallory center shaft along with the Cadillac lower machined and ready to weld.

Here is the distributor all welded together. The overall height will be a little shorter than the stock hei.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I finally had time to install my modified distributor. I installed it with one set of points in it connected to a MSD 6a ignition box. The engine runs great. It sounds like it is firing better with more pop and the cam is much more noticeable with it. Here are a couple pictures of the before and after. It should make some people scratch their heads a little more about what the engine is.

On another note I picked up two '74 Cadillac 500's for my next project. My plan is to build a gasser frame for my '56 Chevy 2dr sedan. We have build three previous '55 gasser frames so that part of the build should be pretty straight forward. I'm going to install the 500 with the turbo 400 to start with the plans of changing over to a stick shift later. I am going to install a set of fender well headers and build my own intake. It will be six or eight months before I get started with this because I have to finish up my wife's Nash Metropolitan before I can start the next project. I will be rebuilding the engine in the mean time.

Keith

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
Considering how few distributor options there are for the 500 Cadillac, it's a great swap! MSD makes a small diameter electronic distributor, but nothing for points. Nice job of hotrodding the distributor!

·
Administrator
13,419 Posts
We're putting a Mallory dual point in my buddy's Nova project too. Hopefully it's dialed in already, as he got it used out of a running engine. It will get a MSD 6AL box mated to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts