Gasser HotRods banner

1521 - 1540 of 1545 Posts

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,521
side pipes

Started on the brackets for the side pipes...just mocking up some front ones...I decided I would make some plates to fit under the pipes to cradle the pipes rather than hanging them from the back side...less chance of cracking at the pipe weld...you can not see them unless you are sitting on the ground in front of them...I decided to make them a little light weight...and use 3...and also add gussets where needed...rather than just throwing a big chunk of steel at them...wish I could find some cheap used running board rear brackets...would save a bunch of time...also have to decide if I want the pipes to hang out like the first pic in my other post about them....( just for you Mario] or the one here with them tucked in.....?

Attachments

Reactions: wrp

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,523
I am kind of there on that also Vall...and then I need to work out bend going into the wheel well opening or under the fender like this car in pic..in the well looks cool due to the fact it kind of fills that void in that area...I wished the pipes where about 3" longer...they where built when the truck had 31" tires all around and they had to be back under the fender...this is the car that got me to build them in the first palce http://cherrybomb.com/project-car-cherry-bomb-68-camaro/

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,524 (Edited)
pipes

Worked on the brackets some more today got them drilled shaped some what and weld a gusset on top to strength them...this is where they will end up should be ok on the heat getting to the paint since the turbo will be a remote mounted and the exhaust is cooler after passing thru the unit...once all the brackets are made I will go back and final weld things and heat and teak what needs tweaking...man this kind of stuff is slow going, do to having to keep fitting an checking...and re-ckecking after doing some thing..still have to add a diagonal brace but that will be last

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,012 Posts
On my Camaro I had to weld my brackets to my rockers under the car since it had no frame. So I made my mounting straps curved to fit the inside edge of the side pipes, and then bend 90 degrees to fit the rocker, and keep them up close to the rocker. Never had any issues with the heat damaging paint, or with burning legs with them tucked in close. I occasionally bumped the pipe getting out, but it wasn't hot enough to leave a red mark.
I think these really add a nice flair to your Ranger!

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,526
Vall i wish I could mount to the rocker under side...I think it would be stronger hanging straight down...but they are just a sheet metal skirt kind of thing, really flimsy...the mid section of the cab, this is where the beefiest part of the frame is ...it is a cab anti crush area it is fully boxed and almost 1/4 thick...i think that the weight pulling down on it will not be a problem..the cross member will help...it is stupid strong...I am going to add a brace down to the cross member do you think I should add rubber to the mounting areas to dampen things...there will not be any direct engine attachment only remote turbo

·
Administrator
13,012 Posts
I used a short piece of flexible exhaust piping to attach mine to isolate the engine vibration and keep from having it tear itself apart. I thought the flex pipe might last 5-6 years, but over 30+ years it was on I only replaced it once, and even then it wasn't that bad. Biggest problem was the old style U clamps available back then that dug into the flex pipe. I think with newer flat straps available today it might have lasted even longer.
If it's isolated with flex pipe into it, I don't think you'd need to rubber mount it. I've got poly isolators on my exhaust on my '39 that came with the kit, and they've already melted! Going to have to pull them out, and find something that stands up to heat better this winter.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,528
Damn I forgot all about the flex pipe stuff........... I will have to look into that as a source to maybe connect both sides up with a cut out

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,529
some boring stuff

Spent some time out in the shop beating out some brackets and figuring out the rear ones....man this shit burns up the time...hope to have them finished by weekends end..........I mounted the rear ones up to see how much I needed to bend them..figured it would take a few shots to get them just right.......heated them up bent them....refitted them and they were dead on...I will triangulate the rears also

Attachments

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I am kind of there on that also Vall...and then I need to work out bend going into the wheel well opening or under the fender like this car in pic..in the well looks cool due to the fact it kind of fills that void in that area...I wished the pipes where about 3" longer...they where built when the truck had 31" tires all around and they had to be back under the fender...this is the car that got me to build them in the first palce http://cherrybomb.com/project-car-cherry-bomb-68-camaro/

im trying to understand why they kept the dual exhaust and mufflers when they already had the side pipes. Was it that the bends were too restrictive? My sons vette has a belt driven super charger and he got 800plus HP out of his 427. That big blower on the camaro doesn’t impress me.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Spent some time out in the shop beating out some brackets and figuring out the rear ones....man this shit burns up the time...hope to have them finished by weekends end..........I mounted the rear ones up to see how much I needed to bend them..figured it would take a few shots to get them just right.......heated them up bent them....refitted them and they were dead on...I will triangulate the rears also
Those will be plenty strong. Good plan Lash. Are you gonna make a clearance for the E cable?
Triangulate is the word of the day. :)

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,533
Look Maw...

No jack stands...man what a pain in the ass trying to get them to look optically correct on a body that has a flare on both ends...ended up taking the brackets and making slots so they could be adjusted on the truck...when I lined them up looking down from the open door and where parallel they looked off standing back looking at the truck...so one down one to go but will be much faster since the brackets are kitted and only need welding and slotting...there not going any where ...I can pull my self up buy them with no deflection

Attachments

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I like them

Lash, smoothed welds and a nice muted silver color; good job.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,536
Thanks guys ..Steve there in there natural state have not finished them yet...if I want them perfect I will have to go back over them with a weld build up and then take them down till they are perfect. But I am thinking rather than fight the warp age from doing that I may make a hole-n-nater flush face plate to cover the welded area...or maybe a chrome band clamp in that area with a logo on it...I still am going to paint them....black...? green...or maybe the silver...??

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
It looks perfect.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,538
Don't asssss-sume

That both sides of something are the same...made matching pipe brackets...went to hang the right side today...only to find the body has a 1" off set to the right...I knew that the steering was off set in the cab but not the body...got to redo about 4 hours of work...I would have known this if when I did the body lift and measured the cab position....but NO I had to do the easy way and marked spots on the frame and body to put it back correctly:mad:

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,540
Got them just about done

still have finish work...lots of it, but it did stop raining long enough to sweep the shop up and pick up the mess..I have a second set of holes in the brackets that will allow me to tuck them in tighter, if I want.... now they are set up with the front out a little more than the back looks better that way rather than straight along the rocker, due to the flare at the front and rear on the rockers..I need to cut the reducers down so that I do not have a lot of over lap (slip fit) showing...of course it started to rain as soon as I pulled the chop saw out side...so I shut down for the day

Attachments

1521 - 1540 of 1545 Posts