Gasser HotRods banner

1 - 20 of 1545 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some know I have dealing with the medical B.S, but I did get a little done this week end, bumper caps made up...no they didnt just slip on had to make shims due to the fact the water pipe is not the same size as exhaust pipe. still have to paint it with bed liner, rear spoiler ended up keeping and painted it with spray on bed liner witch is a perfect match for the bed rail covers ( paint color will settle in a few days), started on the graphics but I am waitng for a new air bush bottle and sword brush, to paint in the leafs witch are on my avatar, hope my hand is still steady enough......tail gate handle is being flip to the inside so that the hole where the handle was will have the bracket for my drag chute... not alot but I did feel better about making some head way still got a lot of elbow grease to do

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
You're moving forward, that's all that counts. Medical crap sucks and expensive. Been through my share lately.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hey Lash,
One step at a time; progress is progress.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Good job lash. Sometimes a little progress makes me motivated to do even more. We're all on each other's sides here and want you to be successful. I know around January we're going to be doing some remodeling and my progress may slow.. Hopefully I can make some minor progress at that time and stay connected to the people on this forum. Unlike some other forums I've been on , there's no butt heads here. Just good advice and love for all things Gasser. God Speed.

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
Good to see you back at it Lash. Take it slow and don't overdo it. The truck will be there. I'm battling the locked in a dungeon feeling so I'm not doing much either.

·
Administrator
13,007 Posts
Hope you're feeling better soon! I haven't done much more than tune on mine lately. Got stalled with helping my daughter most the summer, so missed a lot.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another day farting around

I got the tail gate handle flip almost ready to in stall just have to hit it with the beliner sealer,rest of time spent making up the drag chute mount and brackets should have the pieces prepped and ready to weld up by the week end, still working on the bracket for the bottom..... top goes were the handle once was, I will have to pop rivet a reinforcement bracket on the in side, once i get it mount to the tail gate I might make a hood around it to make it look like part of the tail gate..........we will see

Attachments

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
Lash, did you end up buying the jegs chute you told me about?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mario I bought the Deist bag with plate in black......paid to much $119 shipped, saw Amazon had one a week later new for I think $79..........average cost seems to be $90 to 130 very well made went with the 9x9 seems to be about right.....I almost bought the whole chute and every thing but it will never get used and they do have to be deployed or unpacked on a regular bases to prevent mold and deterioration. the only down side is the holes for the support plate are not already punched so I will have to be getting out my ring kit and pliers to make them, dont know if its like that on all the bags, but I hate cutting into new fabric but you got to what you got to do

·
Administrator
13,007 Posts
I usually find them once a year at the big April swap meet used, or at the NW Drag Racing swap meet in January. But rarely see chutes any other time for sale. I've got a working chute on my Austin, but never pulled it, and wont. It's strictly for giggles.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Lash, I'm so pumped to see you get back,, I see where this is going and you sure know what your doing???? Damn that looks sweet!!!! I'm going to have to do some school stuff now and bid you good health on a job well done.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup it flips

Got a little more done doing easy stuff,hope that I will be able to weld the lower bracket on Wednesday, it flips up, didnt think of putting the license plate there till after words...wonder if the state would mind if I trim off the evergreen state.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,200 Posts
Nice job on the flip. This part is whats got me waiting on the epoxy. I need to do one more weld up out back for the chute pack. Its paining me to order the chute right now. Not sure what to do. Im hoping they are similar in sizing. thought I might take the measurements off the Simpson chute on the coupe.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Think maybe you might take off the rear bumper and add a roll pan, put your plate there. Add some nerf bars. Or add a bracket to your round bumper for it (probably way easier, thanks Vall) KISS right, naw, gotta over engineer things :)

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike this is my second bumper I have made the first was a modded stock ,then the tube, I even looked at a pan that was in the junk yard ,(plastic).....yuk..... Oh bye the way there is a deploye bag on ebay new starting at $50 Simpson silver fire proof bag I think, my bag is 9x9x5 for a 12 foot shoot the one one ebay is 9x9x7 the plate holes that come with the bag for mine are 8x8 deist. Vall, I had all ready planned to put it on the bumper bracket under the bumper but I saw a 41 Willys truck in gasser magazine with it mounted above the chute and liked it, Kiss I like it but I have problems with following it, I was going to just whip up a bracket with angel iron but ended up using tubing, alot more work and tough to weld nice with a mig, I really want a tig maybe the wife will buy for Xmas............Yaaaaaaaa like thats going to happen

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
need help with desion

License location Iam at that point, any combo higher lower. I really dont want to redo my chute bracket, also the license plate light can be replaced with led lic. plate bolts so no problem with losing the old school one that I do like.........Input Input thanks guys

Attachments

·
Registered
354 Posts
I like the third pic, lower left, of the 3 . What about mounting it on the tailgate right under poison ivy lettering? Maybe give it a try? Just my opinion but any gasser shouldn't have anything under the rear bumper. Might get ripped off if everything truly goes according to plan!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Under the lettering looks good. You could go all street roddy and get one of those brackets that spring retracts and swings down with engine vacuum. Probably be short on vacuum, though, right?

1 - 20 of 1545 Posts