Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody run a LS based motor in there car. I'm leaning toward a 5.3 truck motor with a super t10 tranny behind it. I think the only downfall is I will have to make or have made the fenderwell headers for my 55 chevy. Opinions anyone, Thanks.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Not running one in my fun car but I own an '08 G8GT with the 6.0 LS L76. I've been researching the LS's because I want to get a C5 Corvette and build an LS for it. The 5.3 is a really stout little motor. The LS heads stock flow more CFM than many small block aftermarket race heads. Guys are throwing a turbo on 100,000 mile 5.3's and going low 9's repeatedly and they hold up great. It's imperative to have a great tune on those builds but the basic motor holds up nicely. Go on U Tube and look up 5.3 LS and see what's going on with them. You'll be greatly surprised. If you can find a 6.0 to build you'll be way ahead of even the 5.3 since the added bore size lets the LS heads flow even more. The other side of the coin is the LS support. There is so much out there it's unbelievable. I'm pretty sure you'll have no real problem finding LS fenderwell headers if you look. Except they may be expensive. If you can make them yourself you'll probably save a bundle.
Be aware that GM changed the bell housing mounting face (where the bell attaches to the block) depth on the LS compared to the small block chevy. This requires the bell housing to be deeper so the trans face mounting/input shaft locations all line up. So you will have to find the appropriate bellhousing or a spacer??? to make that all work but I'm sure there is lots out there for that. The side mount motor mounts are farther forward than a small block too but that's an easy fix. Especially if you have to locate your own mounting locations in the first place. Anyway. let me know if you have other questions. I'll try to answer what I can.

·
Registered
7,423 Posts
Does anybody run a LS based motor in there car. I'm leaning toward a 5.3 truck motor with a super t10 tranny behind it. I think the only downfall is I will have to make or have made the fenderwell headers for my 55 chevy. Opinions anyone, Thanks.
James, you can ask my friend Mike Scano who is not only knowledgeable about LS motors, he actually invented a tool to lock out the variable timing to check valve clearance properly. You might want to Pm him on this forum: http://www.lidragracing.com/showthread.php?1950-98-Camaro-Street-Strip
He goes under the name LongIsland63SS409.

·
Administrator
13,415 Posts
The LS sure has a ton of support everywhere! I'd venture to say that in it's short history it already has more support from the aftermarket than the SBC had! I love the super T10, but I think if I went LS, I'd also go a T56. Unless your gasser will be mainly for the strip.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My Buddy just Picked up an LS 6.0 powered Camaro at auction. We're installing the engine and trans in a tube frame TR8, selling the remains of the car to help fund the build.

Don't know much about them but when we fired up the Camaro, it sounded INSANE !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts