Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I joined this site it has really got the juices going on ideas for the interior of the car.

What kinds of interiors might you find in a late 60's gasser type car? I haven't seen too many pictures of cars with actual interiors. Mostly what fabrics, seat covers, etc?

I plan on recovering the door and rear panels with new cloth and deleting the arm rests. The roll cage pretty much makes that mandatory and they are in terrible shape anyway. I found rolls of insulation for pretty cheap here in town for automotive projects that I am looking to use under the carpeting.

For seats I will be looking for bucket seats. This should be fun...

I plan on driving my falcon to work when I get it running so an interior will be a must. Ringing ears isn't fun anymore. I will probably drive it every day as long as the weather isn't too crappy.

I have been doing research and found this excerpt from 1970 rules: “Interiors may not be gutted. Must run full upholstery, equivalent to factory specifications. Floor mats optional. Bucket seats may replace stock seats (two required), only if they are fully upholstered. Rear seats are optional. Factory type upholstery and/or paneling must be used in lieu of the above.”

I am trying to follow those rules. I don't think I am following the engine rule which is ok. I am trying to replicate everything else as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I wondered the same thing. Seems like interior photos hardly ever made it into magazines. I am sure there are some photos out there that folks have stashed away and might share for those of us that are age challenged. I am to the point that I am gonna do it my way and not worry about it.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
I looked at a '37 Hudson Terraplane gasser around 1999. It had sat in a garage for over 20 years, so I would suspect that the interior was at best late 60s or early 70s. It had tuck n roll buckets with paisley headliner and door panels. I should have bought it - $1,000!

Anyway, the point is that there were some crazy interiors in that era. Good luck with your research.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
Larry Davis' book "Gasser Wars" has some excellent photo in it, and it seems from looking in there that interiors were all over the place from factory stock in the lower classes to barely legal in the A/G, B/G, and C/G classes. Most cars had what appeared to be pretty stock looking buckets or bench seats, but some used the lightweight racing buckets that were padded and upholstered and barely met the strict letter of the rules. Door panels and headliners are in every car, and bare aluminum panels that became popular in FX cars were never seen in Gassers.
I'd say if you've got something close to stock now you're set. No need to change, unless you just want something different.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
1970-'75 I ran C/G and C/A with a '57 Anglia. The interior in it was bare aluminum, firewall, floor pans, door panels and rear panel. There was no headliner. We removed everything except what it took to hold it together. She weighed 1820 lbs with yours truely in 'er. Two fiberglass buckets with "naugahide" slip covers rolled and pleated with about 1/2" foam. I removed the passenger seat (two wing-nuts) to run altered class. I can't remember ever being questioned about the interior but I was running IHRA. I don't remember if there was a diference in the two sanctioning body rules as to interior. I would agree with Val though. "No need to change, unless you just want something different." Robert

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey, I'm new to this site and Dig all the GREAT feed back. The interior issue is a good one. I'm looking at pictures myself and looking to do the PERIOD thing also. Back yard style, two buckets, my own door skins and the like. Let's see more of what's working out there......

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
As the "gasser wars" heated up the rules for the cars in the gasser classes practically changed every year.

There is an excellent article about the history of gassers on "Byron's Gasser Madness" website.

Go to: http://gassermadness.com/

Once there go to the table of contents (on the left side of the home page) and click on "history".

It is a very informative concise article about the history of gassers....

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This thread has given me some great direction. I will leave the door panels alone. I will just delete the arm rests. I will make a cheap headliner out of some basic fabric. It will be time to get the sewing machine out! I can snag new carpet for fairly cheap as there is a place in the area that sells replacement type carpet. Buckets will be just plain vinyl. The type of buckets are TBD. I am thinking of the barely legal racing seats due to my roll cage and then cover them in fabric. I don't want my head to hit it if I happen to get rear ended by an inattentive driver.

Judd, Those bus seats fit that car well.

John, I read through that article last week. It was a great read!

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
When we got around to the headliner on my Austin I got my wife involved. I made patterns for each piece between the bow ribs out of butcher paper by cutting and taping it to the ribs. Once I had each piece made we numbered them and laid them on some black slightly stretchy material I got at the local fabric store. We spaced the sections about 1.5" between and marked them out with chalk.
Once it was marked out my wife cut the edges and then folded over the extra material at each rib and sewed it together to form a loop. I bought 1/8" rod from Home Depot to slide into each loop and then started stapling them to the wooden bow ribs on my roof. I worked from center middle to each edge, then moved back to the next bow until I had all three secured. After that I glued the edges over each door, and finally the front and rear windows.
It's not a perfect headliner, but considering it was our first attempt, and we only spent $13 on material, it came out pretty good for this old hotrod.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Val.... You have to be my hero. Hats off to the wife too! I hope I can manage to fund just one part of my Morris project for 13 bucks. Way to go!

And thanks John for the Gasser Madness link. Brings back a lot of memories along with some great information. It got me to thinking, which could at times be dangerous, about the weight of my C/G Anglia. It actually weighed in at 2520 lbs. Not the 1820 lbs as I stated earlier. Some more of that Old-timers desease.

Robert

"Stick it to the floor and hold 'er straight"

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I will follow your process for the headliner. It sounds pretty good. Although, my wife isn't really into sewing so it will probably be me doing it. I haven't really done any sewing since I was a kid. My mom taught me how to fix my clothes if I ever tore them up at work. I did make snow suits for my G.I. Joes once. lol I will have her help me hold material for measuring. She always says she wants to help, but I rarely have anything I need help with.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
=Cptnbob;5844]Val.... You have to be my hero. Hats off to the wife too! I hope I can manage to fund just one part of my Morris project for 13 bucks. Way to go!
Thanks Robert! One of the reasons I love these gassers so much is because there's so much a guy can do himself, and not worry if it's concours quality! I've got $130 in my whole interior, including the $60 I paid for the upholstered racing buckets, sound deadener, door panels, material, harnesses, and black wool felt on the floors.
I can't even buy the front seat covers for my '71 Camaro for that price.

·
Administrator
13,337 Posts
I think I will follow your process for the headliner. It sounds pretty good. Although, my wife isn't really into sewing so it will probably be me doing it. I haven't really done any sewing since I was a kid. My mom taught me how to fix my clothes if I ever tore them up at work. I did make snow suits for my G.I. Joes once. lol I will have her help me hold material for measuring. She always says she wants to help, but I rarely have anything I need help with.
I helped my wife by keeping the material fed to her straight as she sewed it, but beyond that I couldn't even follow her chalk marks to sew a straight line.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I have also been thinking about what to do about the headliner. Being my car was built 100% for the drag strip the interior is completely gutted so I have "empty canvas" to work with.

I do plan to add an engine turned stainless steel dash with additional stainless panels here & there along with "bomber seats"....

I hope to also do the front part of the headline in stainless. I have a friend who is a "sheet metal fabricator" who is really talented so I hope to call in a few favors he owes me.....

Got a really long list of "to-dos" before this car will be street-worthy let alone street-legal!!!!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Man, bomber seats are tempting! That could be really cool.

Edit- I just looked at the summit racing seats for 37 bucks. I can get them covered and roll with that. Its cheaper than junkyard seats and a lot cheaper than original buckets. There is a guy in town that can cover them for a decent cost.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was going to start a thread about this & then stumbled upon this one.
I know in Super Stock they did this but I'm not sure about other classes. Didn't some guys use either Dodge Van Bostrom seats of either Ford Econoline seats?
I know for my Thunderbolt clone I bought Dodge Van Bostrom seats.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I was going to start a thread about this & then stumbled upon this one.
I know in Super Stock they did this but I'm not sure about other classes. Didn't some guys use either Dodge Van Bostrom seats of either Ford Econoline seats?
I know for my Thunderbolt clone I bought Dodge Van Bostrom seats.
You are right!!!! A couple of years ago I had a chance to buy a pair of bucket seats from Dodge van on Craigs List and ended up losing track of the posting. :(

They would have worked in the Opel. They are very much like "upholstered" bomber seats.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm looking for something that is going to ride comfortable for me & the wife but looks the part & is cheap!
What's going to be the best seat guys?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts