Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not just to imports, but one my wife owned years ago! She gave her 97 Protege to our daughter, who then got a newer car and gave it to our granddaughter. Today my wife got the call that the granddaughter got in a fender bender. No harm done to her, but car needs a fender, hood, and headlight assembly. Of course they had it towed to our house, and the first question I get is how soon can you fix it?
Parts at the Pick N Pull are cheap enough, and they have one there with all the parts she needs for $160 total for hood, fender, and light assemblies. Now I have to drop back from the '39 and run out tomorrow to see if hopefully the parts she needs are still on that car! Pull them, and then get them swapped onto her car.

·
Administrator
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got up this morning, and was at the Washington Pick N Pull when it opened at 9:00 a.m. I had seen they had a one year newer Mazda than the granddaughter's, do wanted to get it before it got picked apart. Fender and lights came off fast, and only took 20 minutes to pull. Brown, and her car is Navy Blue. So when I got home I sanded it quickly, and gave it a coat pf primer. Then as I began ripping the mangled fender and lights off, I gave it a coat of satin black rattle can base for a darker undercoat, and then later some dark blue GM color I found at Autozone.
She didn't want to spring for a hood, so I beat the bent corner back into submission, until it looked pretty even. Then test fitted the fender. The end of the body where bolts to was bent a bit, but it's like tinfoil, and a big 24" channel lock plier bent it back out. The bracket for the air intake was wrinkled too, so pounded that back out on the ground, and bolted it back in. Fitted the fender again, and it lined up, so bolted it on. All the plastic fasteners for the inner fender were broken off, and I ordered a pack of 25 pcs., but wont be here for a maybe a week, so put a few 1/4" bolts here and there where I could reach to temporarily hold it.
So she's back in shape, and ready to go again for a whopping $85. The insurance was going to total it, but it's a 1997 and only has 125,000 miles. I put new front drive axles, and all new struts on it in 2016, and a new timing belt too. So it should last her a long time if she pays attention. She said it didn't stop "as well as it used to." But when I drove it home today the brakes are way too sensitive compared to my cars, or my wife's car. They'll throw you through the windshield if you're not careful, so I think she just wanted a reason too blame for the accident.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Got her done thats what counts...her insurance would just go up if see filed a claim...so she is saving all the way around...my kid got hit in the rear panel on her crown vic... it was real bad.. but I beat it out with my 15 pound sledge hammer and some jacks...even got the trunk pan back down flat...and the rear door to close right...she drove it another 4 years like that...all my neighbors watched me beat on it for 2 days in disbelief that I was able to get it so straight...myself included

·
Administrator
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got her done thats what counts...her insurance would just go up if see filed a claim...so she is saving all the way around...my kid got hit in the rear panel on her crown vic... it was real bad.. but I beat it out with my 15 pound sledge hammer and some jacks...even got the trunk pan back down flat...and the rear door to close right...she drove it another 4 years like that...all my neighbors watched me beat on it for 2 days in disbelief that I was able to get it so straight...myself included
Well her insurance is likely going up anyway since she's at fault and they'll have to pay for the other car she hit.
I guess she's typical of kids these days? When I got in it to take it home it looked like she'd been living in it! I grabbed my shop vac and cleaned it out, and then washed it too. The damn car had moss starting to grow where the weatherstrip meets the glass on one side of the car! Bet she hadn't washed it in the two years she's had it?
I got to her house and told her to come outside, and she looked at the car and said, "What am I supposed to be looking at?" I figured she'd be happy it was fixed quick, and notice it was washed? But she sure isn't a car gal! She didn't notice the outside or interior until I told her what I'd done, and then she said, "It really wasn't that dirty." Kids these days!

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
That is exactly what I went through with my daughter...there was so much food crap and shit in side the car you could have feed a third world country,,,,was not washed for years...and when I went up north to see her while she was in collage, I checked every thing on the car...the tires where down to 20 psi the oil was down to 1 quart...took 4 to fill it the wiper blades...shot and coming apart...she got a new car last year...I am afraid to see what it looks like now..and don't get me started on how bad the apartment was with 3 girls living in it...her mom cleaned it up...I took the car to a car wash and had it done up...

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I'd probably piss off to many people if I added my sentiments so I'm keeping them to myself !!!

·
Administrator
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lash it sounds like your daughter, and my granddaughter are pretty much identical. My daughter spends most of her time at her boyfriend's house, so her own house is occupied by my granddaughter alone. She says when she stops by to check on her and the house, she finds it's a disaster, and they end up in an argument. My wife spends one day a week with our granddaughter, just so she's not feeling alone. She's got Autism, but at a high functioning level, so she's able to work two jobs and go to school too. And she's always been a straight A student. But she's never had but one friend, who always watched out for her and protected her. But her friend has been busy with college and work too, so they never see each other.
Anyway, she's back in business and has the car again to drive. She told my wife she thought the brakes weren't working as well as they used to, but I think that was her attempt to not take the blame. When I drove it home it stopped perfectly, and if anything a little too touchy for me. I know I could easily lock them up without much effort. My service notes under the hood shows I put new brakes on it in May 2019, so they should be good still.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2013 Ford Expedition XLT in beautiful condition. All leather and very clean. Not one scratch on it. My Son and I were coming home Saturday afternoon and some 84 year old man rolled out in front of me from a side street. I hit him at just under 35. He was in a 2016 Ford Fusion. I hit him squarely in the drivers door, wrapping his door around him and trapping him and his wife in the car. After the crash, my Son was complaining of a headache and a bruised chest. The air bags in their car went off. When I got out of mine, the drivers door was jammed so I forced it open. The front grill, one headlight, the bumper, one fender and the hood were bent or mangles. The one headlight, one fender and the fog lights were still ok and were working. I always drive with them on. The front pull hook on the right side was off lying in the street and it was still running. The fire department had me drive it out of the street. His car was bent in half. Thankfully, they were not seriously injured and refused medical treatment. This Expedition has a brand new 5.4 motor that Ford just replaced less than 1000 miles ago and it runs and drives beautifully. Today, I started it up and the information center said to :Service Advancetrac". The tow company came and picked it up and the driver drove it onto his tow truck. There is no fluid leaks at all. The frame has about 1/2 " of the left horn tip bent. The radiator core support on the left has about 1 1/2" bend on the tip, but is still straight. At almost 35 MPH, I am amazed there is not more damage. This thing took a hit and survived. However, I question why the air bags DID NOT DEPLOY. Did the shop that replaced the motor have to disable them to change the motor? Are the airbags defective? The car will have an inspection this week to see if it is worth saving or not. I want to know about the airbags first and foremost. Hell, the steering wheel is bent in a U shape where I bent it. My sons seat is bent from him recoiling from the crash. So, the bags should have been activated I would think. But, I am just lucky the old couple and my Son were not seriously injured. The FD had to pry the door off his car to get then out. I just don't know what I should do. Guess the Inspection is the first thing, then I have to go from there.

Attachments

·
Administrator
13,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What a shame if your truck has to be considered a total with such a low mileage engine, and previously perfect condition! Hope they can save it for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts