Gasser HotRod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some wisdom ie. experience with building a 57 392 as I would like to start buying the parts . Looking for help with the selection of the parts ie cam & lifters roller or none -rockers adjustable or none just general assistance please ? Thanks guys I've spent some time looking on line and just don't seem to se it :confused:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Hi Scott, I do not have any help for you as far as build info is concerned on the Hemi. But I believe HotHeads would at least talk to you about your build. I have heard they are fairly easy to work with. Hope that helps, good luck.

·
Administrator
13,524 Posts
I think I'd start with asking local rodders around your area who own hemi powered cars, especially older hemis. From talking with a couple friends who own older hemis, it'ss definitely a unique engine to build, and not something you want just any machine shop working on.
What parts you purchase will depend on whether you just want a good solid motor, or you're looking at going really high performance. So you'll need to deecide what the goal is, and then find out what parts will be needed to get there. I don't think you need to go full roller if it's going to be a mostly street engine.
Here's a link to an old article at Rodauthority that has some good reading on a 392 hemi build:
http://www.rodauthority.com/tech-stories/engine/engine-build-blown-early-hemi-makes-670-horsepower/

And here's a milder build at Precision Engine Tech that's interesting too:
http://www.precisionenginetech.com/tech-explained/2009/06/02/vintage-engine-tech-part-1/

·
Registered
510 Posts
Scott, hot heads here in Nc are very knowledgeable and can steer you in the right direction. Also if you are looking for rebuild parts check out Egge machine they carry all kinds of engine internals, they even do bearing Babbitting I had them do a set of rods for a 32 Chevy for a customer.
Andy

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thanks mike & Val for the input good reading ill call hot heads also
Scott,
in addition to all the great suggestions, you can call Gary Fontana, He is a 392 Hemi expert from way back. He has heads and all sorts of Hemi stuff. He has a full machine shop too.
His shop number is 631 794 2021 and you can call up to 9pm EST. Most probably you will have to leave a message for a call back because he is in and out of his shop all day and night.
hope this helps.
mario

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Scott,
in addition to all the great suggestions, you can call Gary Fontana, He is a 392 Hemi expert from way back. He has heads and all sorts of Hemi stuff. He has a full machine shop too.
His shop number is 631 794 2021 and you can call up to 9pm EST. Most probably you will have to leave a message for a call back because he is in and out of his shop all day and night.
hope this helps.
mario
Thanks Andy & Mario I will check with them .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts